android
Old 04-14-2009, 11:43 AM

Default Sound quality difference between series???

Hi, I'm looking forward to buy my first "relatively expensive" mp3/mp4 player. My criteria is sound quality, storage capability and usability. Is there a big sound quality difference between the series on the Walkman models? If I buy a simple B series I'm I missing a better sound?

I have some AKG headphones to go with the player and I'm not concerned about features like playlists, video, etc, Just want the player that'll give me the best audio quality for a reasonable price.

If you know anything about this sound comparison please let me know ;-)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-14-2009, 07:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

All I'll say is avoid the E series, as it's the line w/the most issues.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:27 AM

B series isnt that the small little flash drive looking walkmans? I read that they have a relatively weak amp and they are not good for higher impedance phones but the other "video" walkmans have more or less the same sound..

PS: +1 to The DarkSide stay away with the E series

Old 04-16-2009, 07:03 AM

why stay away with e series? any evidence in this world suggesting e series is bad? walkman has many series, each series varies in terms of sound signature rather than sq, they all deliver exceptional sq, but in different style. man people need to do some homework at atraclife forum if it still exists, it has got all of the hardcore walkman fans past discussions. for example one classic discussion for NW-S70X and NW-A80X happened back in atraclife forum was very deep, the final conclusion was NW-S70X has a "warm" sound to it, very strong bass and excellent for certain genres, while NW-A80X(first video walkman) had a "cold" sound, higher pitch and people even said the sound was processed(this part may not be all true).

let's say NW-A1000(sony's early attempt to upset ipod's success), its sound signature is very smooth and very balanced, evenly presented for different genres.

walkman is a piece of deep hardware, no matter how stupid sony runs walkman's future, walkman's sq rules and its designers really put some unique qualities into it (though other features need to be improved seriously if walkman wants to kick some butt like before).

Last edited by $ony$tyle; 04-16-2009 at 07:09 AM.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:10 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Read through the forums, and sites across the net. It seems that the E series is Sony's budget line. Unless you consider rebuilding the library, among other things, a feature. The E series is crap, plain and simple. It even has less sound enhancement features than the Sony "premium" players. It's budget. So for a few $$$ more, get an S, A, and coming soon, an X series.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Read through the forums, and sites across the net. It seems that the E series is Sony's budget line. Unless you consider rebuilding the library, among other things, a feature. The E series is crap, plain and simple. It even has less sound enhancement features than the Sony "premium" players. It's budget. So for a few $$$ more, get an S, A, and coming soon, an X series.
what? E series is the on the go walkman, it's simple and small which suits people who simply just need to listen. we are talking about sq dood, its sq is nowhere worse than other series, sound enhancement is gimmick from sony, when we talk about sq, we talk about the sq performance comparison without sound enhancement on. if enhancement means alot, ok...go try mega bass on se mobile.

E, A, S, B, X, HD, W series all carry different sq signature, not different quality, though we need good review to tell us what kind of signature X and W carry with. man i just so miss those good days at atraclife, where people knew everything about walkman. these days people talk this and that, but all wrong fact on sq. atraclife is a good place to do some serious learning about walkman if it can be still found.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The E series has issues that prevent any of us from really recommending it. As for SQ, it's not the best of what Sony has to offer. Besides, why not just recommend a China only P series Walkman, like you did before? One minute you berate Sony, next you suck up. Make up your friggin' mind!!!

Old 04-28-2009, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ony$tyle View Post
what? E series is the on the go walkman, it's simple and small which suits people who simply just need to listen. we are talking about sq dood, its sq is nowhere worse than other series, sound enhancement is gimmick from sony, when we talk about sq, we talk about the sq performance comparison without sound enhancement on. if enhancement means alot, ok...go try mega bass on se mobile.

E, A, S, B, X, HD, W series all carry different sq signature, not different quality, though we need good review to tell us what kind of signature X and W carry with. man i just so miss those good days at atraclife, where people knew everything about walkman. these days people talk this and that, but all wrong fact on sq. atraclife is a good place to do some serious learning about walkman if it can be still found.
i'm totaly with you
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=36786

I recommend the E series. There are people that will enjoy it and they enjoy it. It recreates library? so it takes about 10 seconds ....big deal. and all the fancy sound features= marketing.... every A, S series has a E series deep inside. I bet the recreating library is there on purpose to annoy lightheaded people to go buy a "better" class. I would if I had more money, but i wouldn't trash the E or any other series based on other people's opinion.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus Ledd View Post
I bet the recreating library is there on purpose to annoy lightheaded people to go buy a "better" class.
Purposely annoying consumers doesn't sound like a positive thing to do. It seems like it belittles them. Plus if I bought the NWZ-E436F as my first Walkman and I had become annoyed by it, I'd be a little wary of buying another Walkman player. Then again, maybe I'm just not much of a lightheaded person...

I think the E-series is good at best. I browsed through Head-fi.org a few times and most of the criticism I encountered about seemed related to lower volume levels. Though there also seemed to be some positive comments about the recent S-Series Walkman, which I have a gut feeling may be a great choice (hey, had I not bought my A728, I'd be eager to buy an S-Series)

As for capacity and reasonable price, I spied an available (in red, though) S639F on Advanced MP3 for about 119.99 ($177.67 I think...). Seems pretty good for 16GB, if you don't mind a red Walkman .

Just adding my two cents. All up to you.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:46 PM

My personal experience with E series so far has been satisfying, I am not a fanboy for Walkman, but I do agree with the fact that all Walkman offer decent sound quality.

I still remember Juli from Atraclife forum, she even said B series Walkman is amazingly good with a decent pair of earphones. Now Sony has the low priced W Walkman, i believe no walkman would bring down the sound quality reputation.

10sec isn't a problem, if that's long, then does it make the good A3000 bad?

Old 05-13-2009, 05:08 AM

I have an E-Series player (an NWZ-E438F, an 8GB flash player) and the issue I've had with library creation isn't that it happens often, but that it takes so long each time. I filled my player to near capacity, and each time it took several minutes to create the library (at least once it took more than 5 minutes before I was able to use my player).

However, I think a factor in this is the number of files on the player. I reduced the number of files on the player to less than 200 (from over 1,400) and it only took a few seconds for the library to rebuild.

With my A-Series player (see my sig) it seems the only time it rebuilds the library is after I disconnect it from my computer, and it only takes a short time to create the library (although it does take longer if I add a large number of files to the player such as when I first loaded my player).

For me, frequent library creation that takes a while has been the main issue with my E-Series player, and it is the reason I don't often use the player.
MediaMonkey 4
Headphones: Koss PortaPro