android
Old 04-08-2009, 05:00 PM

Help iAudio 7 vs Sony S638

I know, it seems like I make one of these every few days. But there are too many choices in DAP!

After ruling out the D2, I was certain on getting the Walkman, until I saw Ka-Boom's review of the iAudio 7, causing me to ask for the opinions of you lovely folks at ABI

There are many pros and cons of each player I can think of, I'll list them, but hopefully you can put any worries at bay, and hopefully swing me to one player or another.

Walkman Pros :

Smaller
Full Tactile Interface
"Heavy" EQ suitable for my style of music (or so i've heard)
Better than average stock earphones
Great SQ (I've heard)
3 months free Napster trial
Newer than iAudio 7

Cons :

Less Battery Life
More expensive
No Ogg or FLAC support
Proprietary Connector (May not be that big of a deal)

iAudio 7 Pros :

60 hours battery
"Warm" "Non-Fatiguing" SQ (So i've heard)
Swing Touch looks interesting
Voice Recording?
No one knows Cowon, so there'll be a lot of "What's that?"
Mini USB connection
Folder Browsing OR ID3 tag browsing
Slightly Cheaper than Walkman

Cons :

Slightly Chunky compared to Walkman
Small screen (may not be a problem)
Limited hardware buttons (Though they ARE programmable, right?)
Errors with Ogg Vorbis tags.
Blind Control may be difficult

Anything else I've missed?

I'd especially like to know about the i7 and blind control, does it really need to be locked if in a pocket if the buttons are touch sensitive?

I'll probably use the bundled buds with the Sony, or get some Sennheiser CX 300 for the Cowon i7 (Or any other IEMs in that price catagory that are superior, or the same quality)

If it helps, I listen to a lot of Rock and Metal

Thanks a lot if you help! And thanks for being patient with my many questions

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-15-2009, 09:10 PM

I'm also mostly into rock and metal and hesitating between those two, as well as the clix2 and the A728/9.

Thing is, here in the UK the Cowon is more expensive by quite a lot (£20, for a poor student who just graduated and is officially unemployed ) than the Sony now...

And the Sony also seems to be better suited for video viewing as long as you manage to encode them which apparently costs money...

For pure sound and blind operation (in pocket for example), the Sony seems a bit easier. The buttons are at the bottom along with the headphone out so shoved upside down in the pocket, it seems it'd be fine to use... But the hold button it somewhere else which sucks :s

Old 07-26-2009, 10:39 PM

Bro, I just want to warn you that in general, while the iAudio 7 is quite awesome, my unit (That I purchased in February) bricked two months later, and no computer will even pick it up. It slowly glitched, starting with the interface, resetting itself, and then not even working at all. You travel a risky road if you purchase the iAudio 7, my friend!

Old 07-27-2009, 07:37 AM
Banned

The i7 has great reviews and lots of fans. The only risk I can see in buying an older player is how long is the battery gonna last? How long has it been sitting around and is it easily replaceable?

Old 07-27-2009, 10:46 AM
Ultra Senior Member

"The only risk I can see in buying an older player is how long is the battery gonna last? How long has it been sitting around and is it easily replaceable? "

The 16 gig is the newest of the i7 players, so that is another reason to choose a 16 gig if one is considering an i7. How long has the 16 gig i7 been available? How can one find out how old the battery in it is though? Imo all products with a lion or lithium polymer battery should be required to have the date of manufacture of the battery printed on the front of the box.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:42 PM

Their both great players. If Im gonna choose I'll choose the walkman because of the bigger screen and I kinda don't like the touch pad thing on the i7. other wise they both great players

Old 07-27-2009, 11:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieMcMe View Post

iAudio 7 Pros :
"Warm" "Non-Fatiguing" SQ (So i've heard)

IMO i7 still has bright sound, only not as bright as other cowon (D2, D2+, S9)

Old 07-28-2009, 05:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
"The only risk I can see in buying an older player is how long is the battery gonna last? How long has it been sitting around and is it easily replaceable? "

The 16 gig is the newest of the i7 players, so that is another reason to choose a 16 gig if one is considering an i7. How long has the 16 gig i7 been available? How can one find out how old the battery in it is though? Imo all products with a lion or lithium polymer battery should be required to have the date of manufacture of the battery printed on the front of the box.
I was in a shop in Perth at the weekend. They were selling an ancient Sanyo player - even the lettering on the box was discoloured it was so old. To my mind that should be illegal, because as sure as anything that battery will be dead, or it won't last long.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:32 AM

I'm having the same doubts between iAudio7 and Sony S638, but with the Sansa Fuze as a third competitor.
I was nearly convinced about the Sony, until I read that does not offer a 'on the go playlist'. This is a major issue to me... The way I like to listen to my music, is scrolling through the maps, finding long-forgotten surprises, and adding them to a playlist for the next hour(s)...

Therefore, could you please compare iAudio7 to the Sensa Fuze? Especially the bad comments about the iA7's interface make me doubt, as I like to do a lot of searching and 'exploring' through my folders... I guess the Fuze sound quality is not as good, but over-all it seems to have quite good reviews...
What I'm looking for as an easy-to-use mp3 player, with a simply good (no need for the best-of-the-best) sound quality. Photo and video are nice toys, but no more than that.

Could you please give your recommandations?
Thanks!

Old 08-10-2009, 03:43 AM
Ultra Senior Member

SQ wise, the S639 and iAudio7 totally blow the Fuze away.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:43 AM

Regardless of what others say, still using my iAudio 7 and it rocks, great little player

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 08-10-2009, 06:40 AM

Ok, I just discovered the iAudio7 reviews on this forum (MP3 players by brand), and the decision is made!

The review on the ABI website (by Enzo) really scared me off, as the critics on the UI are quite harsh. But the reviews by ka-boom and WalkGood (thank you - thank you !) convinced me! I believe that there may be better options for the UI, but I guess after getting used, I will know where to find the most frequently used functions... And if necessary, it still offers the possibility of adding some user defined buttons...
Besides this, the iA7 seems to offer all I was looking for: simple drag&drop, flexible searching (folder or ID3), using on-the-go playlist, excellent sound, good battery, nice design (I already love the pics, and read that the real thing looks even better!), small and robust build, ...

Can't wait until I have it!!!

Thanks for the advice!

Barry

Old 08-10-2009, 09:23 AM

Aaah, why is it so difficult to choose???

I thought my decision was made, but then I started reading the Fuze forum, reading things like:

"I have tested countless of players and the Fuze on a set of $500 Shure Se530s and a set of $500 Sennhesier 650s- i can assure you that the Fuze's sound quality is excellent." (by EnzoTen, editor)

And then I start doubting again... Similar features, seemingly better UI, 8GB but expandible, ...

I'll have to toss about it, I think ...

As both Fuze an iAudio7 have their fans, it seems that both options are OK, and I will in no case be disappointed. So it will be choosing between a (slightly?) better SQ or a (slightly?) better UI...

Old 08-10-2009, 09:28 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The iAudio7's SQ isn't "slightly" better, it's fantastic. The Fuze, as good as it sounds, is nowhere near the SQ of the i7. Plus, the Fuze only sounds good if you leave the EQ off, touch it and it slaughters the sound.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:24 AM

DarkSide,
thank you for putting me back on the right track !!!

I must admit that, again, I was totally misled by the reviews on the ABI-website.
The i7 review is very very negative about the i7 interface. What's more it only contains some screenshots of the i7. The Fuze on the other hand contains a youtube-movie, showing how smooth it is scroll through folders and lists, navigate the menus and so on. This really tempted me towards the Fuze...
Now that I checkked some i7 movies on youtube, i must admit that it does look quite ok! I don't see why the i7's Swing Touch would be less practical than the Fuze's wheel...

Knowing all this, I don't understand why the review on ABI isn't updated... The review really scared me off!
Why not include all the positive sounds I heard here on the forum? Why not include a movie to show what it really looks like? Why not include the reviews on this forum, which give a totally different impression of the i7?

Anyway, after what I've seen from the i7, I am reassured, and my choice is made. Again .

Old 08-10-2009, 11:28 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Instead of making yourself crazy, if your budget allows, why not buy both? It is always good to have more than one mp3 player. I have the Fuze, a Clip, a Slotmusic player(I was curious about this, however buying this was a mistake, even though it was only $20), and some players that are a few years old. I have considered buying an i7 and/or a D2 (and have researched these quite a bit.) but each time I resisted(it is good to have a few mp3 players, however one shouldn't overdo it). One thing that might help you decide if you are determined to buy just one of them is to download the instruction manuals for each, and read them thoroughly.

Do I like my Fuze? With the latest firmware came folder view, which I find to be very important. What don't I like about the Fuze? The proprietary connector and cable are annoying. The power output is a bit on the low side, and it doesn't do a great job of driving some of my less efficient headphones. I also don't like the headphone jack being on the bottom. All the other players I have(except the Slotmusic Player) either have a built in clip, or came with a case or skin that has a clip.

I would have surely bought an i7 if it had a micro SDHC card slot and a slightly larger screen. I might buy an i7 or a D2+ before the end of the year. I try to exercize some self control, and not spend too much on mp3 players or headphones. It is so hard to decide what to buy since no player is perfect, and player prices continue to decline.
A player with all the features I want isn't available.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hmm, JK98, I see your recommending going "spend happy" after we called you cheap?

Lol, relax, it was only a joke.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:16 AM

UI is overrated. With a good UI you might spend 10 seconds scrolling around to find the album you want to listen to. With a bad UI you might spend 15 seconds. Either way you spend the next hour listening to the album, not caring much about how you scrolled around to it. SQ, battery charging, portability etc count more than UI does, IMO. I'd go for the Cowon because of the non-proprietary connector and codecs like Ogg and FLAC.

Tags
cowon, iaudio7, s630, walkman