android
Old 03-31-2009, 11:14 AM

Default Can't open 8 Gb microSDHC in WinXP

Hi -
I've googled for an answer for this but no luck. I've got a e250 Sansa running the latest Rockbox 3.2. I've got a 8GB microSD (SDHC class 6 it says) which doesn't show up when I connect my Sansa to my XP machine. Or rather it shows up as Removable disk under the Sansa but won't open. I was able to add files to it using the SD card adapter and a eeePC running XP, so I think it's something about my XP computer here at work. I was able to detect and see a 2 GB microSD previously.
Any ideas?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-31-2009, 11:29 AM

I believe XP has issues reading SD cards that big, so you have to purchase a card reader. This would allow it to be seen as a USB storage device instead of microSD card. I suggest looking on www.dealextreme.com because it is cheap and has free shipping, but it might take awhile.

Good luck!

Old 03-31-2009, 12:28 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
I've got a e250 Sansa running the latest Rockbox 3.2. I've got a 8GB microSD (SDHC class 6 it says) which doesn't show up when I connect my Sansa to my XP machine.
You're using the sandisk USB mode, which doesn't support SDHC. You need to use the Rockbox USB mode, which does. Upgrade your build to one from today and then plug in your Sansa while rockbox is already running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihou View Post
I believe XP has issues reading SD cards that big,
No the Sandisk firmware does, not XP.

Quote:
This would allow it to be seen as a USB storage device instead of microSD card. I suggest looking on www.dealextreme.com because it is cheap and has free shipping, but it might take awhile.

Good luck!
Theres no need to do this.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:43 PM

As usual, Saratoga is right on both points. Need to be in RB to do this. I just loaded my 8GB microsd on the Sansa using RB w/XP without a hitch. XP has no trouble with any of the card sizes I've tried. No longer need the USB adapter for transfers.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtech View Post
As usual, Saratoga is right on both points. Need to be in RB to do this. I just loaded my 8GB microsd on the Sansa using RB w/XP without a hitch. XP has no trouble with any of the card sizes I've tried. No longer need the USB adapter for transfers.
I remember I had issues with my internal SD card reader, and the firmware for XP didn't work. I was just suggesting another solution.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
I remember I had issues with my internal SD card reader, and the firmware for XP didn't work. I was just suggesting another solution.
No that makes sense, its just not XP thats the problem. Most internal readers sold before last year don't support SDHC (including the built in one on the V1 Sansa's). Thats why either using Rockbox or a new reader built this year resolves the problem. They've been updated to work with SDHC.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:21 PM

Very very nice! Thank you folks for the great advice - it works great with the current build! I figured the 3.2 (latest stable) would handle SDHC .... guess not!

thanks again

Old 03-31-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burningrome View Post
I figured the 3.2 (latest stable) would handle SDHC .... guess not!
3.2 handles it just fine. SDHC support has been there for ~2 years.

3.2 just doesn't have USB enabled.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:40 PM

I'm having this same problem with my Sansa E200 and was wondering if anyone could provide any assistance. I just installed RockBox on my Sansa E200 and the player recognizes the SD Card but Windows XP doesn't . From these postings it says to go into Rockbox mode and not USB Mode. Can any please tell me how to access Rockbox mode. I tired connecting my usb cable from pc to e200 this didn't work, and I also tried holding down the select button while powering on didn't work either. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 05-06-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotttb View Post
From these postings it says to go into Rockbox mode and not USB Mode.
Yes as we said in your other thread, you will not be able to access an 8GB microsd card in the Sandisk firmware, you must use rockbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotttb View Post
Can any please tell me how to access Rockbox mode. I tired connecting my usb cable from pc to e200 this didn't work, and I also tried holding down the select button while powering on didn't work either. Any help would be appreciated.
Are you running Rockbox 3.2? If so, consider reading the post immediately above yours, and then updating to a build with USB support.