android
Old 03-30-2009, 01:32 AM
Ultra Senior Member

grantedman, what firmware version are you using? Also, if you ARE using the latest, it sounds like you may need to re-flash the player w/the firmware again. I'm using 2.59 and I've had none of these issues. When I had used an older firmware that was a different story.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-30-2009, 02:30 AM

Hey Darkside. I'm using 2.02, I was told that's the latest firmware for the D2+. I flashed it twice already.

From what I can tell, it seems like some of the problem lies in the converter. If I view the converted files on my home PC, they also have the same problems (although the originals are fine).

Although the converter problems are only part of the battle. The random XviD decoding errors are really annoying. I'm fairly certain that's a problem with the device and not the encoding (they aren't reproducible). Granted, they happen very rarely and are very short in nature, but they are frustrating.

Update: my video database just got corrupted and the D2+ rebooted. It happened when I tried to skip to another video. Seriously, WTF. My video files have no tags and no strange symbols in their names. How can it screw up something so simple.

Last edited by grantedman; 03-30-2009 at 04:30 AM.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:04 AM

If you really want to save money, get the D2 and flash the firmware to either 2.02 or 3.02 (D2+ firmware). Use 3.02 if you want flash skin support and dictionary support. If you want different colors and all plastic case, get the D2+. The only metal part of the D2 is the middle.

Almost everyone is recommended to flash their firmware to the D2+. The BBE+ enhancement is so much better. To me, I think it made a big difference with the overall sound and it was worth the time to learn how to do the whole process. It isn't hard to learn either.

To learn how to flash your firmware to D2+
http://www.iaudiophile.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=26360

I don't seem to have a problem with transfering music. I don't deal with ID3 tags a lot, I use folder view and it views the files by their filenames. So I rename the filenames instead.

As for video playback, I rarely use it. I tried converting one of my movies and it ran slow on my D2. I think my bitrate setting was too high. I didn't bother fixing it yet, I haven't convince myself that I should watch movies on my D2.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:20 AM

Default my experiences with the D2

first of all .. i have been using computers for many many years ( almost 30 )

when i started out on this venture my main goal was to get a small device that plays music and xvid's. at that time i had heard a lot about the Creative Zen and really had made up my mind to get one of those as it at the time seemed like the best the bunch. so i took a trip to Best Buy and after browsing around for about 20 mins asked where the Zen's were located when i coudlnt find them. i was quickly and with a large smile informed that BB no longer sells creative products. as i thought about that itself for a few minutes ( having bought my CL sound card and several other Creative products there years before ) i wondered wth am i doing at BB willing to pay and inflated price for product brands i am not even interested in. so on that note i headed home and accepted the fact it would require more time, effort, and research before i "invested" in ANY player. ( atleast if i was smart and i was )
upon my return home one of the first things i discovered about the Zen was a simple but overwhelming fact. if you plan to use SDHC media cards ( which of course i do its one of the main selling points for me ) once you insert the SDHC into the zen you loose most of the players functions. so that right there was a deal breaker for me.
i looked at some others which were even less promising and eventually looked to the Fuze which is a nice little player and Sandisk can be trusted to put out a solid product ( my previous and much used player 1g from 2002 in brand new condition proves that beyond a shadow of a doubt ) but when faced with the smaller screen and all of the additional features the D2 offers it was a simple choice for me and i went ahead and ordered the D2... ( from jetmall through amazon ) it really was a no brainer. once it arrived i got right to work with updating the firmware to 3.57 so i could use flash skins which i love. from there i got into encoding videos for it. i read a lot of posts using different programs to encode and ended up trying out iriverter. i just have to say it doesnt get ANY easier then this. its FREE, its EASY to use, can do single or batch encoding ( ive done both even large sets like 30 rock s2 and s3 at once ) and i have had absolutely no problems with it whatsoever. ive encoded xvid pr0n, xvid dvdrips, xvid tvrips, mpeg4, and ive even used the thing to rip episodes directly off of DVD's ( yep it can rip directly from dvd media.) i have no complaints whatsoever with iriverter and could not have asked for any more. on top of that i have seen 0 mistakes its made in anything i have encoded. ( so i would suspect the video you are ripping for anything you find loopy ) its a solid portable device that i can see now is not for everyone. ( yes thats right anything worth having you still have to earn.) i also have experience with cases and screen protectors. first off i went with the ZAGG invisible shield and its excellent for the body itself and would be great on other things but i did not like it as a screen protector at all. second ( and since i am on the cheap ) i got a Javoskin this thing arrived damaged out of the box. it was ripped in the corner and useless so they required that i pay the $hipping to return it. i found this unacceptable really and not only that but it was a magnet for any dust or hair/lint and the belt loop was flimsy at best. the armband is made from decent materials but much too thin and ripped immediately when streteched. ( damn right i tried it onto the D2 anyways and decided if it was worth keeping which it was not. ) third up zcover .. i was more then a little reluctant to risk any more money after these experiences... but the bottom line is i had no real choice because i really desired to wear it like a wrist watch ( go ahead call me crrrrrrazy ! ) and being able to spin it as well for any viewing angle also was a big plus. sure it cost me another $55 for it but it was sooooo worth it. i love this armband/wrist band it makes the whole effort worthwhile. i also purchased a 16g transcend class 6 and its working beautifully as well. the things i do not like ? yep there has to be some and there is. i had made some FLAC files and embedded the covers into them without thinking about it ( cover.jpg in folder instead ) and when i turned the player on it wouldnt load past the music player icon. immediately i knew what was wrong ( since i just had copied them over ) took them off and things went right back to normal. i loved this player anyways but now ive gone ahead and put the unofficial dictionary onto it as well and can translate from english - spanish ( or any of the other 10+ languages for FREE i might add ! ) and its become indispensible as well. the only other thing i can report i dont care for all that much is the radio is a little weak but only because of the lack of antenae really... its the ONLY weak point i find really to this player and it can be solved/worked with if need be. if you dont like this player or the time you have to spend tweaking it i understand completely i really do. but take into account if you will 1 minor detail once you have earned it its yours to keep forever. ( well unless you're careless and someone steals it ! hahah they will have to cut off my hand ! and i am SURE they would !! heck it would be worth it almost ) having a touchscreen is a bonus for me along with all the misc flash programs you can run on it i consider it priceless. if you are still having problems with yours dont fret just figure out what it is that YOU are doing wrong i mean honestly 75% of the problems in this world are simply USER ERROR. ps - i really wanted to include a picture of it in the zcover (its sooo sexy) but i cannot due to camera problems sorry for that

Old 03-31-2009, 05:39 PM

For what it's worth, you said iriviter is the best to use for converting. I've already tried that and get audio/video sync issues, and if you look up at a further post, I link to an iaudiophile post by dfkt where it shows I am not the only one who experiences this.

And the XviD artifacts that are introduced seem to be a poor decoder implementation, rather than an encoder problem. It's one of those things where they happen very rarely (I think I have watched ~3 hours of video on it, and they've happened 3 times). This is unacceptable. Some of you will say, "how can that be annoying? It's so rare." The fact of the matter is it is *not* supposed to do that. Just think of the analogy if the mp3 player introduced random garbage in your mp3s for 1 second every hour --- would you want a player like that, even though it's 'tolerable'?

You also mention the flash player. This works sporadically for me. Sometimes it loads up flash, other times it claims "some flash error occurred". I could have written about how it's an advertised feature that doesn't work for me (and there are 0 shockwave/flash converters out there for it that I know of), but I didn't buy the device to play flash. I bought it for mp3s and video.

As a side note, I'm not a newbie when it comes to audio or video conversion. I've done tons of it before for many different formats. I also program and know how computers/devices work. If the video plays fine on the computer but the D2+ cannot handle it, and it's in the format that the D2+ is supposed to handle (because it's converted through Cowon's software), that's Cowon's fault, plain and simple.

Last edited by grantedman; 03-31-2009 at 09:06 PM.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

WHOA!!!! r2d2, please, break that down into correct paragraphs. Lol, I got dizzy trying to decipher the hieroglyphics.