android
Old 03-26-2009, 05:19 AM

Default Cowon and Sony

Today my friend told me that Cowon sucks and that Sony players are the best. We had a debate and after that I did some searching online and i gathered these information regarding the sound quality and compatibility with different phones of both brands.

Sony
1. Coloured sound
2. Warm and lacks details
3. no bass roll-off
4. low power output

Cowon
1. flat response with no load (relatively flat with high impedance load)
2. Cold, analytical, highly detailed
3. bass roll off with low impedance phones
4. big power output

I think under these circumstances Cowon players would sound better amped compared to Sony players due to purer frequency response, am I right?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-26-2009, 10:47 AM

I personally have not listened to either Sony or Cowon, but both are generally highly regarded for their sound quality. As for bass rolloff, as previously mentioned, lots of players have this, but everyone picks on Cowon for some reason.

I have heard that Cowon does tend to be more "analytical" with all effects off, but as soon as you turn on BBE+ or others, it really takes the cake for sound quality.

Also I don't know if I'd say Cowon is high power output. The battery life is really good, so that would imply it doesn't use that much power.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantedman View Post
I personally have not listened to either Sony or Cowon, but both are generally highly regarded for their sound quality. As for bass rolloff, as previously mentioned, lots of players have this, but everyone picks on Cowon for some reason.

I have heard that Cowon does tend to be more "analytical" with all effects off, but as soon as you turn on BBE+ or others, it really takes the cake for sound quality.

Also I don't know if I'd say Cowon is high power output. The battery life is really good, so that would imply it doesn't use that much power.
The D2 sends more power to the HP out than just about any other player. They also get good battery life because they're not tiny like Sansa Clips, and so have room for a higher capacity battery.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:06 AM

Hey Marvin. I did not realize that. Why do they send so much power out? So you don't have to amp your headphones?

Old 03-26-2009, 11:17 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantedman View Post
Hey Marvin. I did not realize that. Why do they send so much power out? So you don't have to amp your headphones?
Well, I can't speak for the Cowon designers' intent, but I'd rather have too much power than too little. A lot of people use them along with amps too!

Old 03-27-2009, 04:35 AM

My brother is a big Sony dap fan, we did some comparrisons with the same files/same phones last week end, I think these comments in the leading post sum it up:

Sony
1. Coloured sound
2. Warm and lacks details

Cowon
2. Cold, analytical, highly detailed (of course they get a lot warmer with BBE and EQ tweaking)

The other comments are a bit too technical for me to comment on.

Ultimately we both agreed the other's player did sound great and it's a "different strokes for different folks" situation.

Sony has an exciting and colourful sound, for me their sound enhcancements are straight out of a comic book and on his player had no EQ. Cowon has a refined and detailed sound with natural and subtle sound enhancements and a five band EQ (D2).

They really cater to different sorts of people, whether you're looking for a fun and dynamic listening experience (Sony), or are a bit of a tweak addict that likes to listen more analytically to the different levels of a given track (Cowon). They're both good brands with great sound quality, just two very different animals.