android
Old 04-13-2009, 11:30 PM

It will be good to have your opinion as well Olley...

I am trying to decide between P7, S9 or P3. I like the external card option like my Cowon D2. I was a Clix2 owner as well but moved to Cowon for larger memory and sound quality. However Iriver's UI was awesome on the Clix... one of the best I ever used. I guess I have high hopes for the P7.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-14-2009, 01:38 AM

thnx for the video & pics dude .... really will help potential buyers like me
I think for a fairly basic PMP (gud video codecs support, Easy 2 use UI, bookmarking & shortcut features) this device is well worth the money.

If someone's looking for extra features such as bluetooth, apps, games they can look elsewhere. Kudos to iRiver ...
Another thing I wanted to ask was ... how are the transfer rates while copying movies to P7 ? around 6 MB/sec or less ?
so an avergae 1cd rip (700Mb) would take roughly 2 minutes to copy ? or does it take more ?

btw here's a first review I found on the net
http://www.pocketables.net/2009/04/r...iriver-p7.html

And yeah can any mod please create a section for P7, now that it's available ...

Last edited by auzieblogger; 04-14-2009 at 01:44 AM.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
I'm jealous, kobashi. My P7 will be here wednesday. I've been hoping Cowon would add h.264 playback to it's S9 since I've got a slew of videos in that format. They haven't yet, though. Have you tried any h.264 files on yours yet?
Ah yes I am confused about h.264 files as the specsheet says h.264 baseline is supported but I dont know what this means.

I tried a h.264 AVC file and it never worked.

Guys I have found a bug today but it maybe just on 1.15 FW or I never noticed it before. When you have lots of music on the player for some reason all the albums do appear but when you get to the bottom of the list the tracks do not show up. The tracks do appear in all music option not in albums!

A strange bug that needs fixing..

Last edited by kobashi; 04-14-2009 at 05:36 PM.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It's on the truck for delivery! (My P7 that is.)

Cali Lewis (Geekbrief.tv) mentioned the P7 on her podcast as ~ "Something to consider as an alternative to the iPod Touch". I'm sure she hasn't actually tried one out, but it's nice to know she noticed it. I think she's visiting PMP today for her news.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
It's on the truck for delivery! (My P7 that is.)

Cali Lewis (Geekbrief.tv) mentioned the P7 on her podcast as ~ "Something to consider as an alternative to the iPod Touch". I'm sure she hasn't actually tried one out, but it's nice to know she noticed it. I think she's visiting PMP today for her news.
Olly could you load up your player 12GB -16GB with music on the 1.13 FW and let me know if you get the same bug please.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:51 PM

I was wondering if you guys who own a P7 (I do too) have this problem aswell :

under the extra's option from the main menu, if you switch to the full screen clock, does the time change? Mine will stay at whatever the time is when I open the clock. and never change until I exit back to the menu

also, have you actually tried to play a 640x380x1.5mbps xvid avi file? despite being in the specs as the highest it can play, it has so much choppyness/frame skipping/sound synching issues its not worth it.
infact most of my divx files wont play directly on the device without frame skippnig and serious constant sound synch issues.

converted videos work fine though

Old 04-15-2009, 03:34 AM

Default re:clock issue

I have the same problem with the clock, which blows... I also wish that with a new firmware upgrade we can get that ivier p35 clock (which looks awesome but i couldnt wait for, i had an itch to buy something).

Also, when you bring in pictures, how do you resize them to the optimized resolution? i dont think there is an option in the plus 3 program that does it unless i am not seeing it.

What is the resolution of the stock images on the P7? i dont think they were 480x272, i erased them and now dont remember what those were 900x something i think, i just want to make sure that when i bring images in they are at that size w/ or w/o plus 3

Old 04-15-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joropeza View Post
I have the same problem with the clock, which blows... I also wish that with a new firmware upgrade we can get that ivier p35 clock (which looks awesome but i couldnt wait for, i had an itch to buy something).

Also, when you bring in pictures, how do you resize them to the optimized resolution? i dont think there is an option in the plus 3 program that does it unless i am not seeing it.

What is the resolution of the stock images on the P7? i dont think they were 480x272, i erased them and now dont remember what those were 900x something i think, i just want to make sure that when i bring images in they are at that size w/ or w/o plus 3
The stock images are 480x272 dude..

Also the glitch I found is when listing music on ID3 Tag style. If you use the tree folder style all tracks appear in albums and dont go missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterslabmi View Post
It will be good to have your opinion as well Olley...

I am trying to decide between P7, S9 or P3. I like the external card option like my Cowon D2. I was a Clix2 owner as well but moved to Cowon for larger memory and sound quality. However Iriver's UI was awesome on the Clix... one of the best I ever used. I guess I have high hopes for the P7.
I presumed the music from the external memory does not combine with internal. I was wrong about that as it does combine so good news..

Old 04-15-2009, 03:39 PM

I just dumped a bunch of video files on mine and a lot of th AVIs dont work, i guess they have to be a special codec? or something....

thanks fot that info on the stock images kobashi, im a dumbass for not seeing your earlier post, must have overlooked it.

Have you converted any video files to put on the P7?
I tried feeding an AVI that gave me an encoder error through plus3 and it just failes to do it...

What programs are you using to convert videos and at what specs(format, bitrate,size, etc.)

would appreciate the help im new to IRiver stuff

Old 04-15-2009, 04:27 PM

I havent had to convert anything yet. I mostly watch TV shows and japanese pro-wrestling on my player.

looking at an episode of heroes right now for example. It is 624x352 and total bitrate is 146kpbs. As you can see the bitrate is small. What is the bitrate on your files?

I have an episode of Valkyria Chronicles (Anime) and that is 704x400 with total bitrate of 1029kpbs. This runs smooth with no conversion needed.

If I will ever need to convert video's in general I will use Xili Video Convertor ultimate. That lets you choose high, higher or normal quality and lets you see what the bitrate will be.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:53 PM

The advantage of this player is that it is the same resolution as a PSP screen, 480x272, so I use PSP Video Converter, it's extremely fast, never has sync issues, and can batch convert your entire collection.

Badak for Mobile is also great at reducing file sizes, but it has sync issues with certain mpeg format's

for images etc, I use river past video converter, despite its name, it does images too, but you have to buy that.
If you have an installation cleaner, download the trial of paint shop pro, and use its batch converter for 30 days, uninstall, clean and reinstall

Old 04-16-2009, 04:41 AM

i have this one clip which is an .mpg @ 480x480 w/ vid.BR of 2496kbps & 29fps which plays but it skips, the audio is @ 224kpbs which sounds fine, but becomes out of sink with the video. its really sharp but to bad its jumpy while playing

I have another clip 640x464 @1798kpbs/23fps which plays fine but the audio and video are a little out of sink, i can tell because the mouthmovement doesnt match the song. Dont know if its better to go for a higher resolution w/ lowerbitrate or higher bitrate @ lower resolution....

Also another bug? the unit only recognizes .mpg but not .mpeg? I actually thing the bug is in plus3 it only shows .mpg's and not .mpeg's, even if they are on the player.....

can you guys confirm this?

@templargfx - thanks for the psp tip, i will try to use psp next time i need to make conversions, i just want the videos to be as sharp as possible w/o fuzzy pixels

Last edited by joropeza; 04-16-2009 at 08:01 AM. Reason: spoke to soon

Old 04-16-2009, 09:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobashi View Post
Olly could you load up your player 12GB -16GB with music on the 1.13 FW and let me know if you get the same bug please.
Yes, the album art only showed up on the first few albums in the list. And now I can't get it to work at all before needing it to be reset. Looking for new firmware ASAP. 1.12 I think is what mine has.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:24 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Installing 1.15 right now. Hoping it fixes a few things.

So far I like many of the features, but the UI came across as boring when I first saw it.

OK, so 1.15 now shows all the album art, and hasn't crashed yet.

Last edited by Olley; 04-16-2009 at 09:45 AM.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:39 PM

I have never had a problem with album art. It is just the tracks now showing up in the bottom albums in the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joropeza View Post
i have this one clip which is an .mpg @ 480x480 w/ vid.BR of 2496kbps & 29fps which plays but it skips, the audio is @ 224kpbs which sounds fine, but becomes out of sink with the video. its really sharp but to bad its jumpy while playing

I have another clip 640x464 @1798kpbs/23fps which plays fine but the audio and video are a little out of sink, i can tell because the mouthmovement doesnt match the song. Dont know if its better to go for a higher resolution w/ lowerbitrate or higher bitrate @ lower resolution....
I think the high bitrate is the problem bro. I would try going with higher res and keeping the bitrate 1200 -1500 max.

I got a WMV which is 480x352 with BR of 2531 kpbs and it is stuttering bad!

ah man i think my player has bricked. I put some new music on the got red screen!

reset the player and it now wont come on. Do I just contact Iriver and get them to replace it?

Last edited by kobashi; 04-16-2009 at 02:52 PM.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:12 PM

damn, bricked?!@!! so soon???
what were you doing that it made that happen??
I would take mine back to the place that bought it but i guess in your case you bought it online so, contact the vendor first? I guess i would ultimately try to contact iriver....

theres got to be soemthing you can do?
Im scared for mine now

Old 04-16-2009, 04:27 PM

all i did was add more music. safely removed the player and it done the re-generating of the music database then I got the red screen.

Reset and now it wont turn on. When I connect to the laptop it recognizes the drive and I can access all my data. The player does not tuen on though.

When I open Iriver plus3 it doesnt see the player.

Last edited by kobashi; 04-16-2009 at 04:36 PM.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:28 PM

Unhappy Me too

What other info do you have because the same exact thing happened to me last night. Here are the details:

happened after syncing just like you described
had only about 1 gb to 2gb left of space
was on firmware 1.15
had a Sandisk 16gb micro sd card that was pretty much empty
I was using media monkey

I called iriver and the lady that answered was clueless. She emailed me the rma forms. I cant wait because Im going on a trip on saturday so i ordered one from JRs overnight. I just afraid that it might happen again especially since you described the same exact thing that happened to me.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKOne0 View Post
What other info do you have because the same exact thing happened to me last night. Here are the details:

happened after syncing just like you described
had only about 1 gb to 2gb left of space
was on firmware 1.15
had a Sandisk 16gb micro sd card that was pretty much empty
I was using media monkey

I called iriver and the lady that answered was clueless. She emailed me the rma forms. I cant wait because Im going on a trip on saturday so i ordered one from JRs overnight. I just afraid that it might happen again especially since you described the same exact thing that happened to me.
the way you described it is pretty much how it happened. Although I had About 3GB left on internal and 2GB on external Micro SD. I on FW 1.15

What is RMA?

Old 04-16-2009, 08:24 PM

Return Material Authorization = RMA

She didn't even try to trouble shoot it she just took my word that it was defective and told me i had to send it in.
Since we can still access the internal memory I wonder if we can re-flash the original firmware manually or something...everything seems to work except the screen.