android
Old 03-24-2009, 02:53 PM

Default Clip dead...(sigh)

My 4 GB Clip seems to have bitten the dust. There was no accident, it was just working one day and it was gone the next, it will not turn on at all. I have attempted to recharge/reset, to no avail. I'm not so concerned about the files on it, because it shows up fine on my PC, but I fear SanDisk will not replace it--I can't locate the receipt and I bought it at Circuit City which is now gone, so I can't get a duplicate.

All this noted, should I have to buy a new one, I am leery about getting another Clip. From what I am reading here and elsewhere, this sort of thing is not uncommon. Anyone else have this happen? Should I consider the Fuze?

Mind you, I hate that this has happened...I feel naked without the easy access to my music.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-24-2009, 03:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Will it turn on if the USB is connected? If so, a wire to the battery could have become unattached.

Sometimes, it seems that seemingly dead Clips come back to life after having been left connected to a powered USB connection to charge overnight. Perhaps that's worth a try, if you haven't yet done so?

And if the above doesn't work, it couldn't hurt to go back to SanDisk--you may get a pleasant response.

I'm not sure what the Clip's failure rate is. Forums can be deceptive--people who have no issues don't generally often post to note that. And on the flip side, I've been surprised to hear that many people seem to have mechanical issues with the top-selling player, my not having read anything about that. It would be interesting to see a Consumer Reports-type study on failure rates.

In the meanwhile, if you are in the U.S. and near to a Wal-Mart b&m store, keep in mind that the 8gb Clip is available there, on sale (seemingly clearance), for $49.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:19 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Ach, this just happend to my very sparingly used clip. Its gone "dead" before, basicaly the thing wont power on, no life when plugged into a USB port, last 2 times thats happend though its woken up, this time it hasn't woken up overnight. I cant view it as a USB drive either.

I've only used it while exercising, probibly only charged it well under 50 times. However, the one year warranty expired not too long ago >_< should have bought it in Europe. :P

In my case, I'd say its most likly due to moisture damage, this is the second clip thats died on me with the same kinda problems. Although the first was a "used" clip, and had no receipt so I didn't complain, got it for a steal on ebay :P I do work out quite activly some days and I wear the clip on a neck strap, however always over my shirt, but still wouldn't suprise me if it somehow got some sweat in it or somthing.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:01 PM

Default Buy a new Clip and a warranty for peace of mind

I bought my 2GB pink Clip for $49.99 at Best Buy, they have the Geek Squad Black tie warranty program for $7.99 for two years. If anything goes wrong with my Clip, I just bring it in to them with my receipt, and they will either fix it or replace it. If they don't have another one, I will receive a gift card for their store for full value to use towards the purchase of something else. I think it is worth it. (higher priced items cost more for the warranty also)

However, Walmart is selling 8GB black Clips new for $49.00 right now in store. They don't seem to have it online. But if you purchased one of the other Clips online you can also purchase an extended warranty. I don't know if they offer it in store or not.

Sorry you had problems with your Clip. I hope you're rockin' again soon!

Old 04-07-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamski View Post
... ... All this noted, should I have to buy a new one, I am leery about getting another Clip. From what I am reading here and elsewhere, this sort of thing is not uncommon. Anyone else have this happen? Should I consider the Fuze? ...
The only reason that it may seem it’s common is because you have read about it a lot and most people with this or other problems come to the forums when they are looking for solutions. If you had your receipt, SanDisk would replace it no problem. Clips are great little players that have no more or no less problems than others, including ipods. The Fuze is another great player, you can't go wrong with that either, but I would still recommend to save your receipt as they both have a one year warranty.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 04-08-2009, 03:14 AM

Quote:
My 4 GB Clip seems to have bitten the dust. There was no accident, it was just working one day and it was gone the next, it will not turn on at all. I have attempted to recharge/reset, to no avail. I'm not so concerned about the files on it, because it shows up fine on my PC, but I fear SanDisk will not replace it--I can't locate the receipt and I bought it at Circuit City which is now gone, so I can't get a duplicate.

All this noted, should I have to buy a new one, I am leery about getting another Clip. From what I am reading here and elsewhere, this sort of thing is not uncommon. Anyone else have this happen? Should I consider the Fuze?

Mind you, I hate that this has happened...I feel naked without the easy access to my music.
This is all I need, I just ordered one I guess I'll be testing out the moisture thing, as I take my daps everywhere.

I broke the screen on my t10 finally after laying on it. Samsung make the absolute most durable mp3 players. In your price range I'd recommend a t9, or s3. I've dropped the t9, and t10 numerous times. I've walked in the rain for hours, kicked them, dropped them in puddles(and continued using it with water in screen), etc and they are still going strong. I'd really only get an s3 if you want flac and some other new formats. the t9 has an advantage with a more dedicated buttons. I'd say get a t10 if navigating wasn't garbage tier.

this guy put his through the wash.
http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/sho...01&postcount=5

You may also want to have a look at cowon.

Last edited by shinobi00; 04-08-2009 at 11:24 AM.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:08 PM

An 8gb Clip for $50 is a superb deal and if it does die say within a year.....its still a good deal! I don't know about you but I can deal with losing $50 over $200+ anyday!

Old 04-09-2009, 06:16 PM

Same thing just happened to my Clip and I must say I'm pretty miffed.

I only use it when working out, and it's been charged a total of less than 20 times. I've only had it for 2 months max as well.

I plugged it in to charge, pulled it out, turned it off, and now it won't turn on at all.

Right now it's connected to my comp but it won't turn on at all. I'll try leaving it connected overnight.

I really like this little player too, great form factor, great sound, easy to use etc. If it doesn't clear up I'll send sandisk an email... If not I'll head to Walmart and possibly buy another... We'll see.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:28 PM

Happy to report that my clip miraculously came back to life this am! HUZZAH!

Old 04-12-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcazmo View Post
Happy to report that my clip miraculously came back to life this am! HUZZAH!
Nice that it started working again, although you should keep the receipt as SanDisk warranty is good up to one year.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

you can also register your clip or fuze on Sandisk's site

Old 04-17-2009, 08:17 PM

Smile

I am pleased--nay, overjoyed--to report that my replacement Clip arrived today. SanDisk RMA'd it and the turnaround was nothing short of amazing. I am back in business!

Thanks for the encouragement. I may yet get a Fuze, but for now, the Clip more than suits my needs. Hopefully this one will last a while!

Old 04-17-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
I am pleased--nay, overjoyed--to report that my replacement Clip arrived today. SanDisk RMA'd it and the turnaround was nothing short of amazing. I am back in business!

Thanks for the encouragement. I may yet get a Fuze, but for now, the Clip more than suits my needs. Hopefully this one will last a while!
Congrats Yes, their rma process is painless and quick ... just think it's good for up to a year.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:48 PM

I may have fried my Clip today. I was recording a morning show (FM) today and when I check on my clip it had powered off. I tried powering back up to no avail. Plugging into a USB charger (and my computer) yielded similar results. That is nothing happened. I also tried the 20-second hold on the power button method to reset.

I think the recording may have completely used up the remaining memory on my Clip, but would that cause such a problem? Its the only thing I can think of that I did any differently. My clip gets a lot of use, but its only about 1.5 months old. Its a v2 8GB (purchased from Walmart for $50!).

*Edited*-- to add that at the time of recording it was probably at about ~75% charged, if that matters. I don't think I completely drained the battery, but it is a possibility.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by occams_razor View Post
I may have fried my Clip today. I was recording a morning show (FM) today and when I check on my clip it had powered off. I tried powering back up to no avail. Plugging into a USB charger (and my computer) yielded similar results. That is nothing happened. I also tried the 20-second hold on the power button method to reset.

I think the recording may have completely used up the remaining memory on my Clip, but would that cause such a problem? Its the only thing I can think of that I did any differently. My clip gets a lot of use, but its only about 1.5 months old. Its a v2 8GB (purchased from Walmart for $50!).

*Edited*-- to add that at the time of recording it was probably at about ~75% charged, if that matters. I don't think I completely drained the battery, but it is a possibility.
It's not the battery died, we had that happen to one at our house and it could be a lose connection or other similar power issue. If you still have the receipt, contact sandisk for rma and you'll have a new one in a week. The approval process takes a day or two, they'll give you a printable shipping label and your set...

Old 04-21-2009, 11:48 PM

Thanks for the advice. I just found the receipt actually and will probably go about doing that later this week. I was just kinda holding out hope that my Clip would come back to life. Maybe i'll try charging it over night though I know you're most likely right about the loose connection.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:08 PM

Forgive my ignorance, what does rma stand for ?

Old 05-30-2009, 06:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondah Woman View Post
Forgive my ignorance, what does rma stand for ?
Return Merchandise Authorization.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:29 PM

Forgot I posted this! So to update, my Clip eventually did come back to life using the proposed method of leaving it on the charger. However I noticed that the player was working but the screen was blank and the clip was not responsive to any buttons. It seemed to be stuck on tuner mode at a low volume.

I left it plugged into my stereo so I could tell when it finally died. Once it did I plugged it in overnight and all was well the following morning. I did go and purchase a 2nd clip from WalMart for backup since I could not pass up that wonderful sale!

Old 07-21-2009, 11:41 PM

A bit of Google might have saved the day for everyone. My clip 2 GB froze today and all I did was go to the Sansa Clip forum on the sandisk website...and BINGO...they have the solution on the first page. Here's the link:
http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/boar...hread.id=15109