android
Old 04-04-2009, 11:51 AM

Claw,

I have one question/request. The Browser scrolling functionality is fairly underdeveloped. While it's responsive, it responds to a fairly limited range of finger movement. You can only get the browser to scroll so fast and far, regardless of how quickly you swipe your finger. Essentially, it feels very stiff.

Is it possible to modify the browser to scroll faster and further depending on the quickness and/or distance of your finger swipe? Could it possible be a preference, so that users can tweak the effect to their liking?

I don't want to just throw requests out there, but I felt that this could be a useful change to the UI.

Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-04-2009, 01:02 PM
Cowon S9 Developer

Update - v3.05

• Artist / Album Hotlinks (Settings -> Music -> Artist/Album Hotlinks).
    • Two buttons appear in music screen. One to the left of Play Info area, and one to the right.
    • Play Info area is squished a little to fit between these buttons.
    • QuickList tab moved higher to free up space for hotlinks.
    • Pressing left hotlink (Artist) will build a new playlist based on currently-playing artist, go to 1st track, and start playing it.
    • Pressing right hotlink (Album) will build a new playlist for currently playing album, and will start playing 1st track.
    • Shuffle settings are still used if active(will be adding an option to turn off Shuffle if hotlink is used).
    • I don't like the look of these tabs, but used whatever was already in the library. If any designer is willing to contribute two nicer buttons, I may incorporate them instead.
    • Originally I linked actual artist / album line in Playlist - but its harder to use - and for me personally I want to be able to do more things qucker ...
  • Overlay Transparency setting in Music (Settings -> Music -> Overlay Transparency). Setting it to 100 will preserve default transparency of header and footer. Setting it lower will blend the overlays with the background - I set it to 50 myself.
  • Disable FF/RW on Pause (Settings -> Music -> Disable FF/RW on Pause). When set, fast forward/next track, rewind/prev track hard buttons are ignored when player is paused. This was added per request.
Download the patch (2 files) here:
http://www.shapeofcolor.com/cowon/wa...atch_v3.05.zip

Zara - maybe ... I need to check on how it is done now.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:32 PM

Claw, once again for hooking us up with all the great features. Im curious as to what do you for a living. A lot of people have cool themes and all that, but yours is a UCI design to play along with the S9 system as if it where designed as a part of the firmware it's self. Keep up the great work. Thanks again

By the way, I know its your UCI, and probably know what you did to make everything work, but I have noticed that you have fixed the theme tracker to also follow the music screen when powered off and then back on. Thanks.

Last edited by Luv4l; 04-04-2009 at 01:43 PM.

Old 04-04-2009, 02:37 PM
Cowon S9 Developer

I am a software architect and UI designer by trade - not for music devices though
Since I use the S9 every day, I figures might just as well put my knowledge into it. I am however not a graphic designer - that's why I went the route more familiar to me - re-engineer what's already available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv4l View Post
Claw, once again for hooking us up with all the great features. Im curious as to what do you for a living. A lot of people have cool themes and all that, but yours is a UCI design to play along with the S9 system as if it where designed as a part of the firmware it's self. Keep up the great work. Thanks again
The Auto-Resume last screen function does honor theme tracker settings. It always had as far as I know
Quote:
By the way, I know its your UCI, and probably know what you did to make everything work, but I have noticed that you have fixed the theme tracker to also follow the music screen when powered off and then back on. Thanks.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:18 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claw View Post
I am a software architect and UI designer by trade - not for music devices though
Since I use the S9 every day, I figures might just as well put my knowledge into it. I am however not a graphic designer - that's why I went the route more familiar to me - re-engineer what's already available.
As far as your job, I'm actually interested. Is there maybe a link for information on how to pursue a career in UCI making. I'm not sure if you are from the US, but I've been trying to finish my degree in the computer field, and I have not heard or even scene anything dealing with it.

Quote:
The Auto-Resume last screen function does honor theme tracker settings. It always had as far as I know
The theme tracker would work perfectly for resuming the last screen for the actual UCI, but I was having issues when it came down to resuming the music screen that was set for another UCI. It would revert back to the norm UCI. But it must have been a glitch.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:35 PM
Cowon S9 Developer

There are books on UI design which are handy (I have two at the office somewhere - they're not very good) - from use of colors, button locations, placement of information most optimal to the eyes, to engineering to color-blind and disabled. Its fun stuff. As part of my job I had to design UI's - using all the guidelines above ... in service of other applications (I am not a Usability Engineer) for internal consumption by the company I work for - but I was never formally trained for it - just kinda learned it.

Part of the issue with UI in computer science is that you're exactly right - nobody deals with it in CS classes - its an afterthought - hence numerous horribly designed UI's out there. I still cringe when using stock FW for the S9 I'd doubt you want that to be a career, but I have been on a number of projects that have employed UI designers ... not too many of them in the field. Useful for web, flash, any other GUI development ... so who knows. But back to your question - I used to have links to Mac OS GUI guidelines (which are very precise) and to Java UI guidelines - need to dig them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv4l View Post
As far as your job, I'm actually interested. Is there maybe a link for information on how to pursue a career in UCI making. I'm not sure if you are from the US, but I've been trying to finish my degree in the computer field, and I have not heard or even scene anything dealing with it.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:02 PM

Thanx for th insight Claw

Old 04-04-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
  • Disable FF/RW on Pause (Settings -> Music -> Disable FF/RW on Pause). When set, fast forward/next track, rewind/prev track hard buttons are ignored when player is paused. This was added per request.
Thanks, can't tell you how happy this makes me. The risk of losing my place when listening to audio books was really spoiling my enjoyment of the S9.

The features you've added in your UCI really transform Cowon's amateurish efforts into a finished product, you ought to be on the payroll.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:07 PM

I've been putting off installing this because it looked monstrously complicated, but I've just been playing with it for an hour or so. Claw, your UCI is made of pure win. Thanks so much.

EDIT: Although I did find a tiny bug; when you set the overhead tab in the Music screen to display Artist-Title it actually displays Album-Title

Last edited by Synchestra; 04-05-2009 at 12:11 AM.

Old 04-05-2009, 12:10 AM
Cowon S9 Developer

I am afraid what is monstrously complicated is some of my explanations for how things work ... actual functionality is simpler than that - just restricted to what I can do and what S9's firmware allows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchestra View Post
I've been putting off installing this because it looked monstrously complicated, but I've just been playing with it for an hour or so. Claw, your UCI is made of pure win. Thanks so much.

Old 04-05-2009, 12:20 AM

I don't own an S9, but I have to say that this is a very cool UCI. Kudos!

JL3001

Old 04-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Cowon S9 Developer

You know - I remember fixing that - it was supposed to be Album-Title ... I guess I lost that change in User Settings Screen. I will probably add it as an additional option anyway
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchestra View Post
EDIT: Although I did find a tiny bug; when you set the overhead tab in the Music screen to display Artist-Title it actually displays Album-Title

Old 04-05-2009, 08:48 PM

Awesome stuff Claw. I was too at first a bit intimidated by your UCi but now after messing around with it I love it. So many customization options for the user. I really like the artist tab. Will be using that quite a bit.

Anyway you can add tilt function to the browser?

Old 04-05-2009, 09:01 PM
Cowon S9 Developer

Argg ... not yet ... tilt may be relatively easy to do but takes a lot of time to get all the widget stuff moved around - I don't really have that much time

Quote:
Originally Posted by iannkt View Post
Anyway you can add tilt function to the browser?

Old 04-08-2009, 09:38 PM
Cowon S9 Developer

Update v3.06

This is a small update - primarily adding features that a few people requested. There will be no more releases until 1st phase of the Playlist manager is released ... which will be a full release v3.1

Note - Special Options is a little tab at the bottom of each Setting screen ... pressing the tab extends the options.
  1. Clear all Favorites (Settings -> Music -> Special Options -> Clear Favorites). Needless to say please take care ... the playlist functionality I am adding will allow backup of the favorites, but until then you're on your own.
  2. Change Browser scrollbar knob color (Settings -> Browser -> Scroll Button Color). If you want to get the default color back, its 103/145/15).
  3. Disable Shuffle mode when activating a Hotlink (Settings -> Music -> No Shuffle for Hotlinks). If shuffle mode was on when hotlink was activated, shuffle mode is turned off.
  4. Reorganized a few settings locations (to prepare for the Playlist Manager).
  5. Fixed a bug where 'Reset Icons' special option didn't work. It should work now.
Note that there are already pieces of Playlist code in these files, so I hope they don't interfere with anything!

Download patch here: http://www.shapeofcolor.com/cowon/wa...atch_v3.06.zip

Old 04-08-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
...1st phase of the Playlist manager...
My heart just went *pitter patter* at those words..

Thank you for the awesome work, as always!

Old 04-09-2009, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Update v3.06
  1. Fixed a bug where 'Reset Icons' special option didn't work. It should work now.
Thank you Claw!

I thought that was just me haha D:

Dan

Old 04-09-2009, 06:45 AM

Claw i haven't been following your work recently but this is brilliant now, im loving that you put the overlay fade in the music screen and that the overlay at the top of the main menu now recedes

Is there really anything left to do ? you seem to have covered every single problem. There's just one thing i can think of, not sure if its possible but il ask anyway.

Music in flash - im really liking some of the games ive got on my S9, only thing is, i cant listen to music. Is there a way to have music play over the top of every game regardless of whether they have there own sound, and then another setting to silence every flash app ?

Old 04-09-2009, 04:48 PM

I think "flash" icon is linked to wrong directory.
Mine is pointed to "Document" folder.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:09 PM
Cowon S9 Developer

I believe this is caused by new firmware (x.10) ... it was reported by many, especially those that upgraded from the beta ... but its also possible something in the UCI is causing it - remove or rename browser_total.swf and see if the issue is still happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prejudice View Post
I think "flash" icon is linked to wrong directory.
Mine is pointed to "Document" folder.

Tags
claws, cowon s9, music uci, play lists