android
Old 12-04-2006, 01:29 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I know exactly what you mean. Here in the military, if someone brings a computer device (PDA, MP3 player, camera phone, anything with storage capability) into a secure space, that device is automatically assumed to carry the highest classification of that space, and must be declassified before it can be removed from that space -- and the only known way to declassify these things is total and complete destruction.

This tends to keep people from bringing this stuff into secure areas rather effectively!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-04-2006, 07:36 AM

W00T! I like your thought process... Yes I'm very familar with the process.... I'm the IAO for our base .........

Old 12-06-2006, 01:56 PM

----- Update -----
Well emailed the forensic software company and explained the importance of having this feature and they said that lately they've had a LOT of requests from other 'agency's' requesting this feature.... Makes you wonder doesn't it.... Anyways.... Their next version of the software should be out with this feature added... although your right Zenchick about the OS on the ZEN, does seem to be propriatery.... I did tell them I would be a beta tester if they needed..... Oh and if your wondering, here is the hardware i used
http://wiebetech.com/products/v4_adapters.php -- Scroll down and you'll see the ZIF adapter which I used.

As for the hard drive ......I received an email stating they where on back order so I canceled the order..... why? Cause I found this out....

http://www.digitimes.com/systems/a20061205PR210.html

OMGL! 100GB!!! and the only difference with the 30GB one is the 8mm hight....The draw back, it just came out and it wont be in production till Jan 07 ....... But after searching the web, I did find an 80GB Toshiba that I just placed an order in for today .... It should be here on Friday ...... I still think it will fit but we shall see.......If not, I can always convert it to a mini-USB device.....

Old 12-06-2006, 04:10 PM

Yeh I saw the Toshiba one of 100gb too.
Shall it fit?

Well I'll hear how the 80GB will work. (I thought 60GB was fine enough for me).
What are those prices by the way?

Old 12-07-2006, 09:50 AM

Well i'm hoping that 3mm will not be a problem... but even if it is, i think I can still squeeze it in .... oh yeah the 100GB is also 8mm .... same as the 80GB so there shouldnt be a problem...

Old 12-18-2006, 09:45 AM

Has anyone looked at the 60GB Segate ST18. From what I'v read it is an exact replacement (Size & Shape) to the 30Gb in the ZVM. No Case Modding required

Old 12-18-2006, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taftr1 View Post
Has anyone looked at the 60GB Segate ST18. From what I'v read it is an exact replacement (Size & Shape) to the 30Gb in the ZVM. No Case Modding required

Hmm No i have not, but ty for updating the thread.....

I did get my 80Gig in but the ZIF interface did not work .... Apparently my Hatachi's ZIF interface's presure latch, lifts from the front of the hard drive and the replacement 80gig I bought lifts from the center of the interface.......because the Zens connection cable is thicker on the end, I could not 'slide' it in to the 80GIG........ Good news is that the vendor is willing to do a refund on it.... THANK GOD!! ... But I'll look at the Seagate and see ... As for the thickness, I was going to use a Rhino case to hold the contents together....... just a concept though...

Old 12-19-2006, 08:55 AM

Did some searches yesterday to see if anyone has actually done a drive upgrade. The popular consensus is that it should work after a format and firmware reload. But I can't find anyone that has actually done it and confirmed the process. I would imagine that if someone actually does it, then there will be a sudden and mysteriously high demand for the drive.

Keep us all posted if you get the Seagate, and what you find. Iíll be exploring this myself once the holiday bills are paid

Old 12-20-2006, 02:38 PM

I'm going to try the Seagate 1.8" HD upgrade. I think I can get a sample from them, and I received all of the datasheets today that aren't on their website. It looks like a drop in replacement.

Is there a 'recovery' tool for this product? How do the creative techs handle a replacement drive, do you think they duplicate the software on the drive before they install it? Or can they just plug in a blank drive and 'rebuild' it via a recovery tool?

Old 12-20-2006, 02:39 PM

Seagate has not called back but one thing to keep in mind though.. is because of the properity (sp) data cable that connects the drive to the ZEN motherboard, the end of the ZIF cable is thicker then normal ZIF cables... I found this out with my 80Gig that I had to return. If you find a drive that has a front pressure plate instead of a rear one, then your golden....

Old 12-20-2006, 02:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Assuming you get the drive to plug in and fit correctly...

When you first power up your ZVM, it will almost immediately go into Recovery mode. Select "Format" to format the drive for use. Then select "Reload Firmware", and install the firmware from your PC. Be sure to download the latest firmware version first. When your player reboots, it should work after that.

Old 12-20-2006, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenChick View Post
Assuming you get the drive to plug in and fit correctly...

When you first power up your ZVM, it will almost immediately go into Recovery mode. Select "Format" to format the drive for use. Then select "Reload Firmware", and install the firmware from your PC. Be sure to download the latest firmware version first. When your player reboots, it should work after that.
so wait zen. are u saying theres a way i can buy a 60gig zen harddrive and put it into my 30gig zvm?

also is there anyway i can remove the battery and get a rechargeable.?

Old 12-20-2006, 04:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

There's a way to do just about anything. Will it work? Now that I can't promise you!

In theory, it's possible to swap the 30g drive with a 60g drive - but, as people have noted in the past, the 60g drive is a tad thicker than the 30g, and may not fit properly.

Oh - last time I checked, the battery in the ZVM is rechargeable!

Old 12-20-2006, 04:45 PM

For those familiar with the drive/cable, what do you think about the picture of this drive and the connector.... do you think it will work? The datasheet says it's a standard 40 Way ZIF

Old 12-20-2006, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinkster View Post
so wait zen. are u saying theres a way i can buy a 60gig zen harddrive and put it into my 30gig zvm?

also is there anyway i can remove the battery and get a removable one instead.?
i meant to say removable

Old 12-20-2006, 04:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, sure, it'll be removable - all you have to do is crack the entire player open each time you want to remove it!

(God, I'm in one of those moods today... )

Okay, seriously -- You can replace the battery, assuming you find the proper one to replace it with. But it will never be removable in the sense that you're thinking about. That would require some really extensive modifications to the player itself.

Old 01-04-2007, 02:50 PM

Just wanted to bump this back up again. Did anyone get the drive mentioned in here and did it fit?

Old 01-26-2007, 10:28 PM

I'm still waiting on my sample drive. I'll update you all when I get it and have it installed.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:01 AM

Looking forward to it bbohica!

Old 02-26-2007, 01:34 PM

Default Success.

Well, it wasn't too bad. It worked fine.

Here are the issues I had.

1) The Toshiba drive as a 'flip latch' on the HD, where the flex cable is inserted and then the latch is closed to tighten it. The Seagate drive doesn't, it just has a slot where the flex cable needs to be 'forced' into the drive. The flex cable has a mylar strengthening cover on the back of the connector which makes the cable to thick to easily fit into the drive. I was able to force the cable in just far enough with a pair of precision pliers that it won't come out

2) The rubber bumpers for the toshiba drive don't fit the Seagate drive. I used an exacto knife to cut up the 'bottom' bumper enough that it will do it's job, but I still had to force it in there a bit.

3) When powered on, it booted up into safemode as expected. I formatted the drive, then reloaded the firmware via USB. The unit and PC program both hung at the end of this for unknown reason. I clicked the 'reset' button, it rebooted and came up and said rebuilding, then booted up fine. When I go to the information page now, this is what it says:

Version: 1.61.01
Total Space 57181MB
Free Space 57177MB

Good luck.