android
Old 03-19-2009, 07:22 PM

Default Need help using the s9 in my car

I'm using my s9 with a casset deck in my car. When I play metal with this setup the audio gets extremely distorted. My sansa fuze sounds just fine and I have tried all the bbe settings. The s9 always sounds great through head phones so I really have no idea what could be wrong here. Any help would be greatly appreceiated.
Thanx.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-19-2009, 07:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Duderino View Post
I'm using my s9 with a casset deck in my car. When I play metal with this setup the audio gets extremely distorted. My sansa fuze sounds just fine and I have tried all the bbe settings. The s9 always sounds great through head phones so I really have no idea what could be wrong here. Any help would be greatly appreceiated.
Thanx.
If it was me, owning those 2 players, I would use the Fuze in the car....rather than risk the S9 going flying through the car if you had to slam on the brakes or something. I can say running the Fuze into something else, I turn all EQ off...have you tried this with the S9?

Old 03-19-2009, 08:42 PM

I use industrial strength velcro to firmly fasten the s9 to my dash board, plus I'm using the noreve case. I just went to my car and tried turning off the EQ and it made a huge diference. I think I just need to customize the EQ and tweak the BBE settings. Thanx a lot for that.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:47 PM

so you're using one of those cassettes that has a wire off it with a 3.5mm headphone jack...correct? and you plug it into the headphone jack of the S9...

the only thing i can think of is what kind of car, how old? also the cassette deck, how old is it? same as the car? if your car/cassette deck are older, it is possible that the s9 is just too new or high tech for your cars cassette deck. although your fuze may be just as new, give or take a year or so, the s9 uses a different processor, and everything else. i personally didn't try my s9 through a cassette deck of a car. however, i did use my Sony A818 through my sisters honda civic's cassette deck with the mp3 player tape thing mentioned above. and she used her ipod with it. it worked fine.

P.S. I know it's sad, but my sister, yes my own sister, fell victem to the ipod a few years ago. it hurts when they take one of your own family right out from underneath you....lol

Old 03-19-2009, 09:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Duderino View Post
I use industrial strength velcro to firmly fasten the s9 to my dash board, plus I'm using the noreve case. I just went to my car and tried turning off the EQ and it made a huge diference. I think I just need to customize the EQ and tweak the BBE settings. Thanx a lot for that.
I think the enhancements were probably causing the distortion then. If you can shut all enhancements off in the car and then turn them back on for your headphone use, that's probably your best bet. Good luck!

Old 03-19-2009, 10:42 PM

Yes I am using one of those cassettes with the 3.5mm jack. I got it all worked out so thank you all for the quick responses.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:02 AM

Default Bluetooth

Is it feasible to use a Bluetooth adapter with the S9? Will quality be good? Are there any good Bluetooth adapters available on the market?

Old 03-20-2009, 11:54 AM

I would also like some advice on this as I use the S9 as my main player in my car. I have a really nice setup in my car and my Zen Vision M sounded great.

I was using the Hip Hop setting on my S9 with my headphones and it sounded great. In the car, not so great. Really distorted. Can anybody shed some light on what I should change it to in my car? Thanks!

Old 03-20-2009, 12:12 PM

Ammm my written english is not that good, but i'll give it a try.

When you are using the cassette deck, the best thing is to plug it to a "line out". Since the S9 does not have (or has ) a "line out" the only way tu use it is conecting de jack to de headphones "exit".

If the volume of the player (S9 in this case) is too high, you'll get pretty distorted sound in your car's radio. So the best thing to do is to lower the volume on the S9 and control it from the radio.

A good thing to do, is to set the volume tha you normally use in your radio and then, gradually, rise the volume of your player until it (its it's ) sound distorted, then you pull back () de volume a little bit on the S9 and then control de volume with your car's radio.

Hope you understando this

P.S.: I don't get my S9 yet but soon i will
P.S.2: I don't have a car

Old 04-02-2009, 11:04 AM

Several things,

1 EQ options can occasionally get left on depending on the quality of the files your listening too the higher the quality the less distortion is heard with these features on

2 Volume, once again file quality plays a big part in this but usually turning your player volume down a few click and turning your radio up does wonders for the distortion that happens.

3 file quality, the worse your file quality is the easier it will be to hear those distortions with your volume turned up
Cowon A3 30g (working just fine)
Cowon O2 32gb /w 8gb SD Card(brand new hooray)

Old 04-02-2009, 11:59 AM

One way of using the S9 in the car could be to buy an FM transmitter and use the cars radio pickup. If it's too much of a hassle using adapters and such.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:06 PM

I have tried several FM transmitters and they all sucked. However I never spent a lot on one so maybe there is a good one out there.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:02 AM

They do all suck. Badly.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:13 AM

then what do you suggest besides the FM Transmitter?
I just got the s9 and I want to use it in my car. How should I connect?

Old 11-23-2009, 01:17 AM
Redneck Moderator

FM transmitter if you don't live in a big city. You can always get a head unit that has a line in(if yours doesn't already have one, some have them on the front, some on the back) or a cassette like already mentioned in this thread. I have noticed that while using the cassette option if you turn the volume lower on the S9 then you will get less distortion. But that could be my cassette or the head unit I was trying it on.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:09 PM

Head unit with a line? Does it hook up to the S9 headphone jack or something? Where can I find the line on the head unit? And how does the whole cassette thing work?? dont really get it

Old 12-10-2009, 06:36 PM

can some one please answer my question ?

Old 12-10-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ako View Post
Head unit with a line? Does it hook up to the S9 headphone jack or something?
Yes
Quote:
Where can I find the line on the head unit?
It depends on the unit, it's usually a 3.5mm jack socket on the front marked AUX-IN or the like. Post the make/ model of your head unit.
Quote:
And how does the whole cassette thing work?? dont really get it
It's a cassette with a wire coming out with a headphone plug (3.5mm jack plug) on the end.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-CPA9-AE.../dp/B00007EDLW

Old 12-10-2009, 09:49 PM

Ok.
I'm about to just get the that cassette you just posted. Is that sony cassette actually good ( the best one out so far)? or was it just an example?
Is the sound quality good and is it easy to work with?
Any cons?

Old 12-10-2009, 11:00 PM

It was pretty much an example, though I've got an ancient Sony one which has worked for years and never caused problems.

The quality is never going to be as good as if you had a line-in socket on your head unit, but in my opinion it's better than the FM transmitters.

Once you've plugged the jack into your headphone socket, you put the cassette in your cassette player. I find it pretty easy to work with, but YMMV.

Cons: A wire that gets tangled up and makes a nuisance of itself.