android
Old 03-10-2009, 03:35 PM

Default D2 vs D2+, Which one???

Hello,

I've been reading a little about the new D2+ and I'm wondering what you think of it vs the original D2? I've seen some disappointment about the lack of metal on the new D2+ and that it felt less well built. I had already asked for a D2 for my birthday but if the D2+ is significantly better, (if I'm lucky enough to get what I asked for ), I'm wondering if it's actually worth exchanging it? How much of the D2+ functionality/interface can be had on the D2 via upgrades and skins?

Any thoughts/advice/opinions would be very much appreciated. Thanks so much in advance!

Rae

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-10-2009, 04:20 PM

well, there isn't that much difference. only big difference is the BBE+ and the slight change is the Theme rework but that can be easily changed for the D2 with some help from are many Theme creators at iAudiophile.net D2 Forums. the D2 has many Themes to choose from. we don't know... if the Themes for the D2 can work on the D2+ since the Firmware is different (said to be an All-in-one .bin File) but only one users who gets his/her hands on it will confirm this.

the price difference is no where different at all really.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:26 PM

i'm in the same predicament as you. i've come down to purchasing the vintage D2 and here's why

1) cost of D2 = ~$164
cost of D2+ = 180 + 12 (AC adapter) = $192
difference: 32
you're essentially paying 32 bux for BBE+ (new theme adds no functionality imo). it's not worth it from a cost effective standpoint. the benefits are marginal at best.

2) theme/skin ability. D2+ as of yet is unknown, D2 is confirmed

3) rockbox has been started on D2. if D2+ hardware is even slightly different, it'll require more time and effort to get someone to start developing for it. i'd rather have something that shows potential versus something that hasn't even been started yet

4) build quality. D2 has nice metallic accents vs. all plastic for D2+. looks more expensive imo

my only concern is that cowon will abandon developing firmware for the D2. this happens with all their players (ive been using an X5 but this wasn't a problem since rockbox was ported to it)

but overall, the D2 seems like the better choice. hopefully this will help you make ur decision as well =)

Old 03-10-2009, 10:03 PM

On amazon, D2+ is $179.99 16GB the D2 is $163.17. Price difference of $16.82. Plastic or metal, I don't really care much about that. I put a zCover case on my D2 so it's not like I notice the metal. BBE+ would be nice but I have absolutely no idea on how it sounds compared to BBE. I'm already satisfied with my D2 and I wouldn't get the D2+. But if I didn't own an mp3 player yet, I would definitely get the D2+. Who knows if Cowon might drop support for the D2. The D2 has been around for 2 years I think. But I haven't ran to any serious problems.

I say get the D2+ since it's already out. The price difference is minor and you'll probably get more support from it. And the new colors make it look cool.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:03 PM

Checkout the review on D2+ from cnet and decide for yourself.

http://reviews.cnet.com/mp3-players/...rColumnArea1.0

Old 03-17-2009, 11:56 AM

I just got the D2+ and i have to say, i wish i had bought the D2 instead. I could have saved 30 dollars. I don't know if this is like all Cowon players but getting podcast on the thing is frustrating. I was looking for a replacement for my Zune. This ain't it by a long shot. Sure i got all my mp3's on it but not one of my video plays. They all show up on the player though. I feel i wasted money and i haven't felt like that in awhile. It comes with the dumbest podcast software i've ever tried to use. Its called Podcastready. Its the most annoying crap software. And the software makers don't respond to people with problems with it. And the player feels like it was made cheaply too. Its all plastic. One drop of this thing and its done. Maybe i can get 100 bucks on ebay for the thing.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:35 PM

oh god, i just ordered the D2+ from amazon... hey if I find that it's actually a POS then could I return it? just wondering.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:39 PM

It's not inferior to the D2, it's just not seen as worth the $30 extra. I honestly would pay the extra for the D2+. You get the further support, updates, and an awesome paint job. I like the new GUI and BBE+ effects, even if I don't own an "actual" D2+

Old 03-17-2009, 02:45 PM

whew, thank you for reminding me why i got the D2+ over the D2. Lol I just went on Cowon.com to remind myself why I got D2+ lol. All black version for me

Old 03-17-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph94 View Post
whew, thank you for reminding me why i got the D2+ over the D2. Lol I just went on Cowon.com to remind myself why I got D2+ lol. All black version for me
Sweet! I'm thinking of going nuts with my Sharpie tonight

Old 03-17-2009, 02:50 PM

don't do that lol. Marker + plastic or metal usually means streaks.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:52 PM

But it also means somewhat black. I do have a black leather case, so it's no problem.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:07 PM

cheater

Old 03-19-2009, 03:38 PM

Now that the firmware hack for D2 getting D2+'s firmware is released does anyone still find any value for D2+ at all?

Old 03-30-2009, 11:30 PM

Ok, I've read awful amounts of info regarding D2, D2+, and the S9.
I have a question. . . I read the D2+ integrates the SD card music into your regular library, instead of having to browse entirely different areas. Does this also happen on the D2? Does it automatically integrate your SD content into your main library?

You see. . I'm BENT OVER HELL trying to make a decision between the D2, D2+ and the S9! I want a new mp3 player, and I want to return to Cowon. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 03-31-2009, 05:11 AM

your better off buying either the D2 or D2+. they are both the same units except the D2+ has a slightly different change in GUI and has BBE+ which gives out better Bass in General. don't forget though you can install the D2+ Firmware on a Regular D2. so simply you can make you D2 into a D2+. there are no Hardware changes that any of us are aware of yet.

o... and yes the Music from External goes to Main Library.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:38 AM

Does installing the D2+ firmware change the D2 GUI to be like the D2+? And does the D2 also integrate the music from external to Main library? I'm about to order one =D!!!

$159.99 with screen protector and a case!

Old 03-31-2009, 04:42 PM

I had a terrible experience with the Cowon D2+, and will definitely not buy again. I am amazed that my experience has been so different from so many others on this forum, especially since some of the headaches I've had are the same ones that others have had as well.

Last edited by grantedman; 03-31-2009 at 04:59 PM.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan_Mitosis View Post
Does installing the D2+ firmware change the D2 GUI to be like the D2+?
yes...

Old 04-01-2009, 12:58 PM

I've just posted a review of my experience with the D2+ this morning at Amazon.