android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Software & Media > Media > Podcasts & Audiobooks

Old 03-09-2009, 12:42 PM

Thumb Down Best player with audiobook category/filter, samsung yp-q1?

Hi there,

I've used this website quite often but never actually posted anything myself.

Last week I bought a Creative zen 8gb, great little thing but the sc card slot was useless. More importantly, it didn't have a filter or subfolder for audiobooks.

Today I returned it and swapped it for a samsung yp-q1 16gb and it seems that the datacast section for that doesn't include audiobooks .

I've been looking around for ages and not found anything else that is suitable other than a sansa fuze, which seems okay (and of course an ipod, but that's the devil's toy).

I normally play audiobooks in mp3, but will easily change the format if it would be a benefit.

Is there someway to use the samsung with audiobooks or is there an alternative player?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-09-2009, 12:51 PM

The Sansa Clip and Fuze have a quite nifty audiobook/podcast system, with separate folders/ID3 management, pitch control, automatic resume and bookmarking.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:10 PM

thanks for the rapid reply

The sansa fuze seems like a likely candidate, it certainly seems good value especially with all the features. Are there any other possibilities like that out there?

I'm trying to keep near to the 100-ish mark. I called Samsung, they said they would look it over and get to me first thing in the morning, they're not sure because it's such a new player.

siiiiiigh...

Old 03-15-2009, 11:53 AM

just thought i would do a little update, if anyone crosses this and wants to know.

samsung called me and weren't really that helpful. they suggested lots of places to stick my files but they always turned up in the music because the samsung scans the whole thing for mp3s.
I called again later thinking I might have done something wrong - but they had lost my customer number with all the info they had on me. But i was told all i could do was this radiculous playlist shizzle.
however i have heard suggestions that people convert their audiobooks into movie files and play them off there, the visual side only being the album art.

neat but an unnecessary effort for something that could really simple.

so i bought the sansa fuze. bargain at 50 with 12gb (another 10 for an 8gb card) on play.com compared to the 90 amazon.co.uk ask for the samsung.

the samsung sounds better and has all the fancy features. but the fuze is just amazing, simple, slick looking (even though i slagged-off the wheel - it's better than on an ipod) and well built.

dfkt was certainly right about the features it includes and is well worth the lack of fanciness that the samsung has!!! what is more, the touch pad for the samsung is more annoying that jade goody...

Old 03-15-2009, 12:06 PM

Glad to see the Fuze seems to do the job for your audiobooks.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieboy13 View Post
Hi there,

I've used this website quite often but never actually posted anything myself.

Last week I bought a Creative zen 8gb, great little thing but the sc card slot was useless. More importantly, it didn't have a filter or subfolder for audiobooks.

Today I returned it and swapped it for a samsung yp-q1 16gb and it seems that the datacast section for that doesn't include audiobooks .

I've been looking around for ages and not found anything else that is suitable other than a sansa fuze, which seems okay (and of course an ipod, but that's the devil's toy).

I normally play audiobooks in mp3, but will easily change the format if it would be a benefit.

Is there someway to use the samsung with audiobooks or is there an alternative player?
You seem to be looking for a player that handles audiobooks in a certain way. A lot of very good audiobook players use a different method than you describe; the Creative Zen is one of them.

It doesn't segregate audiobooks from other types of files. It just remembers your place on whatever you've been listening to. When you turn it off and back on it continues where you left off.

For those times when you want to listen to something else for a while and then come back and pick up where you left off, they have bookmarks. Bookmarks are very flexible and can also be used to mark places to refer to later. I use this a lot in sections of books where a lot of characters are described at once. I like to be able to refer back because I get names confused sometimes.

I think this method of handling audiobooks is as good for audiobook listening as the one you describe, but it probably isn't as good for listening to music and an occasional audiobook. Since my main use for a player is for audiobooks that isn't an issue for me. Well, I also use my Zen for videos a lot but those are handled differently from audio files so there's no intereference.

You may decide you prefer the handling you describe but you might want to look more closely into some of the other methods of handling audiobooks before you decide.

My favorite players for audiobooks are the Cowon D2, the Sansa Fuze, the Sansa Clip, the Creative Zen, the Zen Mosaic and the Zen V Plus. I've probably left out a few but those are the ones that come to mind at the moment. I have them all and I use them all and I like them all.

Barry

Old 09-19-2009, 03:13 AM

I just bought a 16G COWON i7 solely for audiobooks. I know the i7 is an overkill for audiobooks but I can't resist it after numerous good reviews. The i7 isn't the cheapest on display but should you want to listen to music, you won't go wrong with i7.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

"It doesn't segregate audiobooks from other types of files. It just remembers your place on whatever you've been listening to. When you turn it off and back on it continues where you left off."

The problem isn't continuing where you left off when you use a player just as an audiobook or podcast player, but to use a player for both audiobooks or podcasts as well as music, and be able to play some music files before turning the player off, but still have the player remember which audiobook or podcast file was playing last, and the last place within the file. The Clip+ and Fuze will do this for audiobooks or podcasts played in album mode, but not if they are played in folder mode. in folder mode they remember the place in the file, but if music is played before they are turned off, it doesn't remember which podcast or audiobook file was playing last. Does any player do this?

Last edited by JK98; 12-05-2009 at 01:26 PM.

Tags
audio books, audiobook, filter, samsung, yp-q1