android
Old 03-09-2009, 05:39 AM

Unhappy USB problem - disconnects after a few minutes

Hey all, got a problem with the new USB functionality in rockbox. Rockbox connects via USB correctly, and the sansa internal memory and the microSD both show up correctly in windows and can be read from / written to ok.

But: after a (seemingly) random number of minutes (about 2-5 minutes) the connection suddenly drops and the drives disappear as if i'd pulled the USB cable. This seems to have no relation to what i'm doing to the sansa, i.e. whether i'm accessing the internal memory or the microSD, it's even done it without me accessing the sansa at all.

Sometimes when this happens it locks up the sansa, requiring a 30 second power button switchoff. Sometimes the sansa continues to work ok. Sometimes windows will recognise the drive again if it's plugged back in, sometimes windows will refuse to recognise it again until windows is restarted.

Other USB disks work just fine, as does the sansa when it's booted into the OF - so i'm pretty sure the source of the problem is rockbox itself, but then nobody else has posted a thread with this problem so far, and i cant find anything that sounds like this on flyspray.

Has anyone got any clues as to what might be causing it?

WinXP SP3
Sansa e280 v1 + sandisk 16GB microSD card
rockbox ver r20227-090307 (also tried a few other USB enabled versions before this and had the exact same problem).

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-09-2009, 07:30 AM

Interesting. I have never had that problem.

What version are you using? It might have to do with that.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:41 AM

I had a problem with rockbox crashing(?) when I tried to write over read-only files. I removed the read-only flag and it stopped. It doesn't sound related to what's happening to you, but it wouldn't hurt to look for ro files on your sansa or microsd.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBOL3 View Post
Interesting. I have never had that problem.
What version are you using? It might have to do with that.
r20227-090307, which is a couple of days old now. However, tried a couple of versions since the USB was implemented and they were exactly the same. Will try the latest build tonight, and if that's no go i will raise a bug report.

@chadtheguru: dont think it's down to read only files, i can power up the sansa, plug it in, leave it alone for a few minutes and suddenly the drive icons disappear from windows - havent even attempted to write a file.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:52 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Try running checking your sansa's disk for errors. If you don't find any, file a bug report.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:43 PM

I've had similar issue. First time I connected I copied two new albums to the Sansa with absolutely no problem, one to the internal memory and one to the MSDHC card. However the next time I connected I tried to copy another album folder and lost the connection after 2 tracks had been copied. Disconnected reconnected, same problem. I tried a couple more times without success, until I began copying the tracks one at a time, then the connection held up. So it seems as though USB may still be buggy.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:54 PM

Hmmm... this is perplexing. Did an error check on the internal memory and the microsd, and it didnt find anything. But since then it's been working just fine, so i'm guessing windows decided to fix something without telling me even though i left 'fix errors' unchecked, which inspires confidence, as usual :-S

So if it *was* caused by a disk error, i dont know if that's a rockbox bug or not, since i dont know enough about how windows behaves in such situations - maybe this is normal behaviour for windows. Either way i'm reluctant to file a bug report if i can't replicate it - unless the devs think it's still a good idea, that is.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

You can probably check the system logs in Windows to find out what the checkdisk did.

Also, if you can't replicate it after doing a disk check, then don't report it.