android
Old 03-22-2009, 06:25 AM
Ultra Senior Member

It would take me hours to reload, so I'll pass ATM. I'm really not gonna tinker w/my player since I'm strapped for the time to do it. I check in and out here on ABI, but that's it.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-22-2009, 06:44 AM

That's okay! It does take time to get everything back to the way it was. I was merely curious :P

Old 03-22-2009, 11:31 AM

Yep I returned back the original D2 firmware also, noticing my favorite sound returned right away.

DarkSide:
Yeah I know what you mean about reloading all content. It took 90 min to reload 16GB of Flac using Teracopy. It would have taken 150 min if I had used Windows standard COPY app. So I highly recommend using Robocopy or Terecopy.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyazaki View Post
Leroy, I gotta agree with you. Last night I put the D2+ firmware onto my D2. After about an hour of fiddling with different headphones/earphones, I realised I preferred the sound of the 2.57 firmware. For some unknown reason, the D2+ firmware with my KSC75 and Sennheiser HD 25-1 sounded overly bassy to the level of distortion. Although it wasn't as cold sounding anymore, the D2+ firmware sort of made the music I usually listen to (jpop) sound fairly recessed. So finally I simply reverted back to the 2.57 firmware.
I would love to revert but I just can't accept the fact that 2.59 IS technically inferior to 2.01. That and they both have their advantages and disadvantages. The interface of 2.01 is wholly superior. It has better icons, the ability to scroll through pages of music with the up and down buttons, and is somewhat more responsive (I've yet to see the scroll bug.)

As far as sound, bass is actually much better on 2.01. It's extremely tight and allows me to hear details in my songs that I never heard before. 2.59 just has booms in place of the detailed notes of 2.01.

It's also nice being able to hear each of the instruments distinctly. I hated when I'd listen to music on 2.57 and the main instruments would overtake the adjacent ones. Now, no matter how busy it gets, I can hear all the instruments, even if the overall sound is a little recessed.

Still I can't help but miss the overall airy quality of 2.59, especially on instrumental songs. It was those songs that I never had a complaint with in terms of sibilance using my phones and now I don't have the texture of the instruments blaring through my head and through me, if that makes sense.

I think overall, I'll stick with 2.01 unless they come out with a way to dual-boot them. That would be awesome but I doubt it's possible. Of course, this might be a reason for me to get an S9 if the sound quality is almost identical to 2.01 (except for Viva.)

On a side note, has anyone tried Viva in JetAudio player with some excellent speakers? Would it even make sense to add crossfeed to speakers?

EDIT: Thanks Leroy for Terecopy! Didn't know it existed! I'll try it when I need it!
Phonak Audeo PFE 111 (White), Sennheiser PX100 (Travel Purposes), Koss KSC-75 (Eh... Too Plingy)

Old 03-22-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I have heard the D2 referred to as the "tweaker's dream" which to me implies that it will take some experimentation with the many settings available....EQ, MP Enhance,BBE, Mach3Bass, etc.....but most people end up absolutely adoring their D2's. So give it a chance....you'll probably end up liking it a lot.
Yup it took my 2 months just to perfect the tweaking off my walkman according to my sound preference

Old 03-23-2009, 04:54 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrosaria View Post
Yup it took my 2 months just to perfect the tweaking off my walkman according to my sound preference
jjr, it would take you at least twice as long on the D2, as the settings are so much more. Sooner or later, and I know you love your Sony's, you'll get a D2 or S9. Then you'll understand why we love the Cowon brand so much. And a day or two playing w/1 doesn't really count.

Get a Cowon, see why we're so crazy about them, regardless of the FW version. Cowon really is the best IMO.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:25 PM

Well my opinion has changed a bit. After playing around with the player I finally got an acceptable sound. No real impact but it's pretty good.

Any difference in 2.57 and 2.59 firmwire?

Old 03-23-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
jjr, it would take you at least twice as long on the D2, as the settings are so much more. Sooner or later, and I know you love your Sony's, you'll get a D2 or S9. Then you'll understand why we love the Cowon brand so much. And a day or two playing w/1 doesn't really count.

Get a Cowon, see why we're so crazy about them, regardless of the FW version. Cowon really is the best IMO.
Don't worry If the x1000 comes out and If I didnt like it that is the time I would buy the cowon s9 (offcourse I would try them both first )

I had tried the d2 and yes it indeed has heaps of settings.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:48 AM

just got my d2+ today. I must say that the sound is quite nice. very clear and articulate. haven't tweaked much, but i will. definitely need to play around with this thing. i'm hearing things on albums that i never heard with my old player.
Remember, bass attack isn't everything, but with all of the tweakability on this thing i'm sure you can find plenty of punchy bass.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:21 PM

Well I'm glad you guys all like the sound now but even after months of tweaking I can't get a great sound out of it. Personally I think my Zune 80gb sounds better and it doesn't even have an EQ or extra sound enhancements. I mean the sound is usually not bad but I can't get it to sound as good as the Zune. It sort of sounds kind of distant and adding the extra effects tends to make it more distant and distorted. I tend to listen to classical and soft pop which already sounds kind of distant and echoey and messing with the effects enchances this(which I don't like) and just messing with the equilizer still doesn't do it for me either. If I use all the effects and equilizer at once I get a very fake and distorted sound even if the settings arn't that aggressive. The sound for me is very over rated. That was one of the main selling points for me and it didn't work out.