android
Old 03-05-2009, 09:08 AM

Default My new D2 has unimpressive sound

Just got my D2 half an hour ago. Not impressed. The sound is really corny and doesn't feel alive at all. Theres a robotic sound that isn't aggressive at all. Anyone got any good audio setups? My ccurent headset is Ultimate Ears Super Fi.5 PRO EB. So my plugins are good. Sounded freakin awesome with my old ZEN.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-05-2009, 09:23 AM

The D2 has been known to have an analytical sound on higher end headphones... although I love it with my low-end phones. Have you tried any BBE or EQ settings?

Old 03-05-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samueljesusfreak View Post
The D2 has been known to have an analytical sound on higher end headphones... although I love it with my low-end phones. Have you tried any BBE or EQ settings?
Played around with the settings and I've managed to get it to sound good normally but as soon as theres part with "impact" I just wanna cry.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:32 AM

I'm sorry to hear about that.. I haven't gotten good enough headphones to really be able to analyze quality like that, wish I could. The D2 is always held up as one of the best sounding players around! What Zen did you have? The regular flash Zen?

Old 03-05-2009, 10:56 AM

I'm a proud owner of Zen micro, Zen vision: M and ZEN.
Tried it with a few lower EP656 and spark the plug. Sounded like my walkman cell.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:01 AM

That's just weird. At this point; defective audio chip? I have no idea.. I've used spark plugs before on the d2 and I liked it.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:03 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serian View Post
Tried it with a few lower EP656 and spark the plug. Sounded like my walkman cell.
I have heard the D2 referred to as the "tweaker's dream" which to me implies that it will take some experimentation with the many settings available....EQ, MP Enhance,BBE, Mach3Bass, etc.....but most people end up absolutely adoring their D2's. So give it a chance....you'll probably end up liking it a lot.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samueljesusfreak View Post
That's just weird. At this point; defective audio chip? I have no idea.. I've used spark plugs before on the d2 and I liked it.
Though spark plugs are pretty crappy. Just bought em in case my other plugins would happen to brake at the same time
But the EP656 never failed me with low end players. Usually like the sound they "pull out". Though I want it to sound good with my high end plugins. Feels like a waste to pay as much for the plugins as the mp3 player if it sounds better with 30 bucks plugins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I have heard the D2 referred to as the "tweaker's dream" which to me implies that it will take some experimentation with the many settings available....EQ, MP Enhance,BBE, Mach3Bass, etc.....but most people end up absolutely adoring their D2's. So give it a chance....you'll probably end up liking it a lot.
I'll keep on tweeking and see if I get there! Otherwise I'll send it in and get a 32gig zen.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:26 PM

Maybe because you got used to the ZEN sound signatures and love them, and going to Cowon feels weird

Sticked to a brand for too long

Old 03-05-2009, 05:59 PM

Though I've listened to other players and I've found there sound okay. This player doesn't even hit good in my ears. Like I said. Even my walkman cellphone sounds better and I don't think much of those phones :P

Old 03-06-2009, 12:41 AM

Hey be patient. Even i thought the same initially. but after a week of usage i could not stop appreciating the beauty of D2.

with my ep -630 it sounds just like what you said. But with sennheiser PX100 initially it sounded smooth, breezy recessed but after a week, the sound opens up and is detailed.

one thing is that with a 16 ohms phones D2 hisses a little and the frequency separation is not too good (that's why the walkman cell comparison).

I think your UE ear buds are rated at 13 ohms and a sensitivity of 115 db/mw which is a bit high in my view.

i think u might be feeling that there is a lack of bass followup and lesser punch and some unappretiation to frequency detail (which gets improved a little bit with upping BBE and streo enhance).

i am telling this only based on my experience with ep-630 and px100. i am a middle class man. so i never tried high end phones.

donot return the player in haste. first spend days with it and then decide.

try with some high end phones with at least 32ohm impedance ( allow them to burn in ) tweak the player and then you will love it.

i say this is a player for tweaker's. Hope this helps

-siva

Old 03-07-2009, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serian View Post
I had a Zen V PLus, and i must say that D2 is miles ahead better tahn the ZEN, buy your self decent headphones like Sennheiser, than youŽll see what iŽm talking about

Old 03-07-2009, 09:45 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I had a Creative Nomad Zen Extra, and a Zen 32gb, as well as a Creative Zen Photo. Not 1 sounded half as good as my D2.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:16 PM

you say D2 is better that's it. But one thing is that it is highly dependent on phones. performence with ep-630 and px-100 is quite different. I would have never purchased a ep - 630 had i known this.

also those who prefer synthetic sound spakling treble and mids (which gives impression of punch in guitars) and also synthetiic bass creative' go ahead. They produce frequencies in a spike way which gives the feeling of attack. And this is what most people want. A temporary thrill.

But if one goes for a natural sounding device which the audiophiles prefer then i think cowon goes ahead. D2 paired with px100 is good. But will not fit for the section mentioned the above para.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:51 PM

I think you need to tweak the settings more. The D2 didn't sound superb out of the box when I first used it. When I started testing out the settings I began to enjoy it more. I had a Zen Micro before the D2 and I was using Super.fi 5 Pros but I didn't like the overall sound. It didn't give me that "live" feeling and not enough "oomph" with the bass. With the D2, the soundstage was much better and I was a lot happier using the Mach3Bass. I also noticed that the D2 made my Sf5 Pros sounded a lot more brighter. I had to tweak down the EQ setting because it was hurting my ears.

But I wanted more bass, so I recently got the Atrio M5 and I'm loving the bass with the D2. I still have yet to find the right settings, but I love how the D2 has 10 customizable presets that you can tweak and change the EQ frequency's, add BBE, Mach3Bass, 3D surround, stereo enhance, etc. And combine that with the rated 52 hours of audio battery life, I don't feel like I have to sacrifice battery life for sound quality. I got horrible battery life with the Zen Micro.

I think I can understand why the D2 may not sound good flat. I remember dfkt mentioning the Sansa Clip as having better sound quality than the D2 if they were compared side by side with no effects. I wouldn't mind getting that for fun someday.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:35 PM

Why keep trying to convince the guy. He doesn't like it. Most everybodey else loves the sound , he just has diffferent ears. That's ok.

Old 03-21-2009, 02:13 PM

I wonder if he has a D2+? I myself prefer the sound of the 2.59 D2 firmware over the D2+ 2.01 firmware. Perhaps he should try switching.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:14 AM

Leroy, I gotta agree with you. Last night I put the D2+ firmware onto my D2. After about an hour of fiddling with different headphones/earphones, I realised I preferred the sound of the 2.57 firmware. For some unknown reason, the D2+ firmware with my KSC75 and Sennheiser HD 25-1 sounded overly bassy to the level of distortion. Although it wasn't as cold sounding anymore, the D2+ firmware sort of made the music I usually listen to (jpop) sound fairly recessed. So finally I simply reverted back to the 2.57 firmware.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:34 AM
Ultra Senior Member

From the comments you guys are making, I think I'll stay w/my 2.59 fw. And I was just gonna start the upgrade process now. Guess I'll either get a 16gb D2+, or just wait for the 32gb S9 to hit.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:18 AM

You can always try it to see if you like it or not unless you have A LOT of music that would take hours to reload. I was curious with everyones comments about the changed sound from the D2+ firmware so I had a go.