android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Software & Media > Media > Movies & Television

Old 01-22-2011, 12:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adub View Post
The "this is not technically a zombie flick" thing has always bothered me and i think it's bullshit posturing, it is what it is and zombies aren't all the same imo.
ditto. TECHNICALLY, one of the widely attributed sources of the zombie legend was some zoodoo/hoodoo concoctions that made the partakers sluggish and very impressionable...or something to that effect. no dying involved.

I find the werewolf origins story of Peter Stubbe more interesting. One of the earliest recorded serial killers

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-25-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDvsEGO View Post
zoodoo/hoodoo
I think you meant "voodoo"

Old 01-25-2011, 07:10 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoodoo_%28folk_magic%29

Old 01-26-2011, 08:35 AM
Ultra Senior Member

i did zoodoo instead of voodoo. oops, but yeah, you guys figured it out.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:36 AM

Wow, i go away for a couple weeks and this thread blows up. I like it, i've gotten plenty of reccomendations here to watch with my grandmother

She wants to watch The Amityville horror. Is it a good scare? She says she read part of the book and it scared her

Old 02-08-2011, 08:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

@Awesome: Go for the original Amityville Horror. The remake was IMO meh...

btw, I have visited the "real" house on Long Island - it can be creepy looking at night, but I think mostly because of the context and the association
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 02-14-2011, 12:01 AM

Over the weekend, I had time to catch up with movies - 4 in a row yesterday:

1) Hills have eyes - I don't remember an iota of the original (watched it long, long time back). But this one is very well made. Shall I say gore-geous? Me eating food and smashing of head on screen - nice combination! Perhaps not that much!

2) 1408 - Didn't cut as much for me, though it was interesting for the most part. I sort of guessed what's coming next and where it's headed. Locked up in a place, can't get out, leading to discovering yourself ... pretty much the basis for "Cube" (Cube 2 wasn't as good as the original though), "Saw" (have watched only the first two, have no reason to catch up the rest) etc., though approached in a different way.

3) [.Rec] - An excellent film, though I'd say 'very interesting' than 'scary'. I really dig films where characters and we as an audience have to keep guessing what's coming, but really aren't allowed much time to think about. Re-made (and probably not as well made - as is the case with most hollywood re-makes) as "Quarantine".

4) Martyrs - At times shocking and at times repulsive, none the less something very different, which works for me. Despite some WTF movements, sat through it at one go. It's definitely not for everybody, but I've been a horror / creepy movie fan for a long time, so 'regular' horror flicks don't do it for me any more (Have watched most of the stuff mentioned in the thread, except of course a few like "Human Centipede").

Now, what next?

Old 02-14-2011, 12:58 AM
Ultra Senior Member

esantosh, I saw all the above and agree with everything you wrote.

Do check out Rec2 - trust me, it is an interesting take and is a direct continuation of Rec.

Martyrs was brutal yet somehow a beautiful looking film.

Look also at Haute Tension [High Tension] and Mum and Dad as well for above average horror flicks.
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 02-14-2011, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
Martyrs was brutal yet somehow a beautiful looking film
+1 to that. That's exactly how I think of it!

Is "Human Centipede" too hard to sit through considering I like "Martyrs"?

Will catch the other movies you mentioned this weekend.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:20 AM
Ultra Senior Member

lol...IMO, not at all. Human Centipede was bizarre and insane, but I think that Martyrs was a much more brutal film in this regard somehow - consider how the girls arrived at their mental states. You will have no problem sitting through Human Centipede I think.

Conceptually, HC is so out there it is almost amusing . Really Human Centipede is nothing more than an updated Frankenstein tale for the depraved among us.
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 02-16-2011, 11:49 AM

I thought I wasn't going to eat for a few days once I was done with HC. But the zero character development and the German Doc's over the top acting gave it a "B movie" feel that eased me in. It wasn't difficult to finish the movie in one sitting since I felt totally 'disconnected'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohit3192 View Post
Human Centipede is just a movie like Martyrs
That I take exception to that .. strong exception! . No comparison ... except that both require a stronger stomach and a different mind set to watch.

HC is more like a sick idea made into a "C" grade movie. Martyrs was well made, brutal, was much difficult to sit through and set me thinking as well - None of which apply to HC. I felt more about any one scene in 'Martyrs' (like the one in which Anna removes nails from the women's head) than the entire running time of HC.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Just watched this. I was surprised to find out a sequel was even in the works. I never thought this film would get remade as I did not think any contemporay actress would ever be willing to go through the ordeal the character of Jennifer goes through. Camille Keaton in the original still impresses me more for the effort as the original film had the distinction of being pretty much the first of its kind rather than a remake, a "trailblazer in the exploitation/revenge genre...

Still, as remakes go, IMO, this one was well-done. Major kudos to Sarah Butler for her courage in taking on the lead in what Roger Ebert calls "one of the most despicable movies ever made".

NOT for the easily offended or weak of heart and mind...

A Glossary for Newbies

Old 02-17-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
Do check out Rec2 - trust me, it is an interesting take and is a direct continuation of Rec
Rec 2 was interesting indeed. Due to the 'sequel curse', I was a bit skeptical. Compared to the open end of [Rec], [Rec] 2 was a bit more predictable as the plot, but equally interesting mostly on account of the similar filming style. Though I'd rate it slight bit below the original, I liked it well. It left me looking forward to "[Rec] Genesis" and "[Rec] Apocalypse".

Add and Edit:

Haute Tension: Very Good

Mum and Dad: Good.

I Spit on your grave (2010): Done! Many 'Yuck' moments, but I'd rate it somewhere around average as a film. I don't remember the original, but from what little I vaguely remember, I think this is an updated and better made version. My expectations were very, very, did I say very? low and the film did better than that. I can go on and on for long (about logic, acting), but this is still abi and not IMDB .

So, let's move on to the next film on the list, which is....... ? (Waiting for a recommendation or hopefully, I'll see something good enough to continue this thread)

Last edited by esanthosh; 02-26-2011 at 02:14 PM.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:20 AM

Thought I'd mention that Clive Barker has taken control back of the Hellraiser world--via comics. He's writing the final chapter of Pinhead. I've always liked the mythos of the films, but haven't found time for more than the first three.

I saw John Carpenter's The Thing on an independent, local TV station when I was about 11 and sick as all get out. Even with TV editing, that was a bad idea... Thirty years later I simply cannot watch the head-with-eyes-on-stalks sequence. Yech. (And I get annoyed, as a research tech, at the cardboard quality of the supposed scientists--analytical thinking, anyone?)

The Serpent and the Rainbow can still give me chills when I watch it. I like Bill Pullman as an actor a great deal, which increases my sympathy factor during the torture scene--I cringe right before that spike comes down.

Although I like it (James Woods--very sexy dude, in a knife-edge-with-a-sneer sort of way), every time I watch Videodrome it keeps me up for at least a couple of nights. It's just so...weird...

Event Horizon is a constant peek-through-my-fingers viewing, as I have a squeamishness about eye injuries. That and it's genuinely creepy outside of the gore. Jacob's Ladder rates way up there on the creepy meter as well--faceless, bizarre medical personnel--do not want!

Even though it isn't considered horror per se, I've yet to be able to watch Eraserhead in its entirety. That movie is just so surreal, it feels like it infests my brain each time I try to watch it. Maybe someday...

My two whiskers' worth --
Ocelot

Old 03-02-2011, 05:13 AM
Ultra Senior Member

^ Hey Ocelot, welcome to ABi

I am with you on every one of your points above! And so delighted to hear about Barker, Pinhead and Hellraiser - its about time!

All classic films you mention and among my personal faves as well... muahahahahahahaha

@esantosh: yah, the I Spit sequel was much slicker than the original of course. It was very well done, but a significant change occurred. The Jennifer character has been turned into this eerily efficient revenge machine with no setup whatsoever. And also, the perspective is more from the guy's POV in terms of them being hunted [deservedly so].

I was actually a bit less sympathetic to the Jennifer character as the film moved on to its climax for this reason.

Still, a good movie, well-done. Just updated for our modern times. Though this sequel cannot possibly measure up to the impact that the original had IMO.
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 03-02-2011, 05:43 AM

^ You just echoed my feelings on "I Spit..". The first half was well done, but the second half was pure revenge fantasy where logic is given a slip many a time, otherwise it felt like a good film.

The more films I see, the more I like "Martyrs".

@Ocelot,

I managed to watch "Eraserhead" in one sitting sometime back when I was going through select filmography of David Lynch. That's one strange film indeed with weirdness written all over it. But then most films of Lynch are slightly weird / different with the exception of "The Straight Story" and easily accessible, but turned on it's head in the last 45 mins "Mulholland Dr".

Old 03-19-2011, 01:33 AM

Watched this last night: In My Skin (2002)

I don't think this would suit everybody. Not because it's brutal or outright shocking, but because it is a slightly artsy take on things and I don't think it works out that well. Why the main character explores cutting herself is left open to interpretation. I definitely won't rank it anywhere in the vicinity of 'Martyrs', but just something different from the mainstream.

Also watched Malefique, yet another decent, but claustrophobic horror film, which was more interesting than 'In My Skin'.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:22 PM

Inside (2007)

A pregnant woman on the eve of her delivery (and on Christmas night) being chased around the house by a deranged woman may not be every one's cup of tea. The plot had kept me off this film for a while now as I thought it would be too sick. I am happy that I finally did manage to watch it.

It is beautifully shot and very well made with lots, I really mean lots of blood and gore - could be enough to go around for two Saw films. While almost the entire film, barring the first few minutes happens inside the house, the film managed to retain a bit of suspense and at the same time managed to shock me at times. For any person who has watched a few gore/slasher genre films, it's not that difficult to guess what comes next in 'Inside'. But it just did not drag on too much for me to lose interest. It's been some time since a film has managed to be disturbing (& even sick at times) as well as involving for me. Last time was of course 'Martyrs'. While I may still rate 'Martyrs' a bit higher and might like 'Inside' a bit less the second time, these two stand out a bit among the whole lot of 'new bloody wave' of French movies I've been catching up of late.

Added: Martyrs leaves something on the table for a second time view. But many films, once you know what's coming, lose their 'charm'. I don't know which side 'Inside' will end up, but I won't be surprised if I like 'Martyrs' more and 'Inside' less if and when I watch them a second time.

Last edited by esanthosh; 03-22-2011 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Fixed sentences to make it clearer. Added another point of view.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

^ Good tip esantosh! I will seek at the first opportunity
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 03-23-2011, 09:38 AM

Just finished watching "Cannibal Holocaust". That's one real damn sick, disturbing roller coaster ride for over an hour and a half (esp the real animal killings). No wonder they thought it was a snuff film upon release. First and last of 'cannibal' films for me.