android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Software & Media > Media > Movies & Television

Old 01-17-2011, 01:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'll make sure I check it out. The Grudge is still one of my all-times for some reason...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-17-2011, 02:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

^^ Adub: Thanks man! Seeking those now...
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 01-17-2011, 02:12 PM

I think I mentioned first Let me in (2010).
I came across this movie while searching for some other flick of 2010.
Will watch soon.
Just watched X-men wolverine 2009(pending for too long).

Old 01-17-2011, 02:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

^ In that case, thank you rohit!
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 01-17-2011, 02:46 PM

Watching a classic

Old 01-18-2011, 02:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

^ Agreed, I love that cover.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:16 PM

Watching:

Not nearly as good as it's predecessor, but enjoyable none the less hehe. The first and third are the best of the franchise imo, classics.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Who the hell is responsible for that BS cover art? I want to kick their teeth in - this looks nothing like Freddie, next to all the other atrocities (in a bad way) that are going on in that "art"work.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:29 PM

Yeah haha most of the ANMoES posters are complete shit, i can't seem to find the artists name.

edit: His name is Matthew Peak

Last edited by Adub; 01-20-2011 at 04:34 PM.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Damn, that poster ^^ really does suck....lol.

On a side note, anyone see the Nightmare remake that was made last year? Just wonder if it is worth watching.....all I know about it is that the guy that played Rorschach in Watchmen plays Freddy, and I wonder how that worked.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:41 PM

It's worth seeing as a fan of the franchise, but it's drastically flawed and not even close to the quality of the original. It's boring and i wouldn't even consider it a horror movie, it's like a G rated nightmare on elm st with a swiss cheese plot. I could go into more detail, but i don't want to throw down any spoilers.

I hope they don't make more.

Edit: He didn't do as good of a job as Robert Englund. Englund was a scary, playful and charismatic as Freddie, and the new guy was nothing like what Freddie is supposed to be.

Last edited by Adub; 01-20-2011 at 04:50 PM.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

^ I agree with this fully plus adding in it's extremely extremely boring and that's the movie summary. Going into small detail this movie was boring need I say more??? I hate I went to see it, on second thought it was entertainingly boring at least the camera wasn't bad that's the only reason it gets 7/10. Those going to see Freddy wrecking mayhem and chaos will be sorely disappointed.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

+3 that is the worst movie poster I have ever seen

Yes, Adub is right about the remake. I felt the same. Yes, worth watching to see the direction, but Freddy is very different here. OF course, Freddy went over the top towards the later movies with the one liners, and in some ways, the new guy/new Freddy is actually a bit of a throwback to the very first ANoES film [where Freddy is pretty silent, seen mostly in shadows and was somehow more menacing by not being clearly visible].

Still, the new guy was good, just not nearly as charismatic as Englund.

It would be like remaking Hellraiser series and using someone other than Doug Bradley who owns that role. Though I am sure that a Hellraiser reboot is in the works/pipeline.

Sidenote: I have a theory about the ANoES movies, at least covering all the original ones.

For ANoES, the odd numbered movies are pretty great. The even ones suck.

Sort of like the original Star Trek TOS movies - for those, IMO the odd numbered ones suck and the even numbered ones are far, far better.
A Glossary for Newbies

Last edited by lestatar; 01-20-2011 at 10:36 PM.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:32 PM

Wes Craven didn't want any more nightmares after the first, it was supposed to be one movie and not a franchise which is probably why the first was so damn good.

When i think about it, and recently watching them all again i have to say the best are 1, 3, and 4. The rest are pretty bad in comparison imo. New Nightmare/7 was good too imo, very different and just really well done imo. I was a fan of Freddie vs Jason, i think it got overly bad reviews though it was actually pretty good, and there's the whole fact that i love both franchises and couldn't wait to see it!

Last edited by Adub; 01-20-2011 at 10:55 PM.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:06 PM

"28 days later" and the sequel "28 weeks later."

I don't know if people here would consider them "proper" horror movies.

"Intelligent horror" maybe?

Both are excellent. I didnt had any nigtmares because of them, but they sure got me thinking a lot and had me worried.

There is something very "real life" about them. Very credible acting.

In 28 days later, the sight of a lonely man walking the streets of a completely deserted London was breathtaking.

In 28 weeks later, the scene where soldiers had to shoot at the panicked crowd, not knowing if they were killing the infected or the innocent was very poignant.

And FAST zombies. That was a complete novelty to me.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:26 PM

Horror is a pretty vast category, and a lot of types of films fall under that umbrella not just slasher flicks. Zombie flicks are definitely horror, and 28 days later is indeed one of the best imo.

On the point of horror as a genre, i believe it's a genre of it's own but also it overlaps into being sub-genres also in other categories of film, like the Alien franchise being sci-fi/horror or The Thing being sci-fi horror. Any film that is made to get an emotional response of fear, dread or disgust out of you i consider horror.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adub View Post
Horror is a pretty vast category, and a lot of types of films fall under that umbrella not just slasher flicks. Zombie flicks are definitely horror, and 28 days later is indeed one of the best imo.

On the point of horror as a genre, i believe it's a genre of it's own but also it overlaps into being sub-genres also in other categories of film, like the Alien franchise being sci-fi/horror or The Thing being sci-fi horror. Any film that is made to get an emotional response of fear, dread or disgust out of you i consider horror.

The film maker would kick you in the teeth. They arent zombie movies according to him. By definition zombies are the dead reanimated. In the "28" movies, the baddies are infected with a virus. Like "I Am Legend."

Old 01-21-2011, 11:41 PM

Agreed, Adub

What makes the 28 days/weeks later movies so good IMO is that there are NONE of the many used-up horror clichés in them. Completely original, and redefining the horror genre.

Also, fear and horror are not the only emotions these movies plays on.

It's been a while since I saw them, and just talking about them here makes me want to see them again...

Old 01-21-2011, 11:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

what made 28 days great to me was the low budget. didnt rely on effects, felt more raw. loved it. 28 weeks wasnt as good.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDvsEGO View Post
The film maker would kick you in the teeth. They arent zombie movies according to him. By definition zombies are the dead reanimated. In the "28" movies, the baddies are infected with a virus. Like "I Am Legend."
Yeah he can cry about that all he wants, but his movies are heavily based on previous zombie films especially the 1985 Day of the Dead by Romero which is much more about human interaction than the hordes of flesh eating humanoids pining for their flesh.

The "this is not technically a zombie flick" thing has always bothered me and i think it's bullshit posturing, it is what it is and zombies aren't all the same imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDvsEGO View Post
28 weeks wasnt as good.
Indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSV View Post
Agreed, Adub

What makes the 28 days/weeks later movies so good IMO is that there are NONE of the many used-up horror clichés in them. Completely original, and redefining the horror genre.
I wouldn't go as far as redefining, since it really hasn't changed future film making in a significant manner. What i will say is that 28 days was very refreshing and extremely well acted, written and directed and is easily on my top5 zombie flicks list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSV View Post
Also, fear and horror are not the only emotions these movies plays on.
Yeah that isn't my point. What i was saying about horror movies is that if they inflict an emotional response of fear, dread or disgust they can be and are classified as horror movies.

Last edited by Adub; 01-22-2011 at 12:22 AM.