android
Old 04-30-2009, 07:05 PM

Use the current build of rockbox:

Download here:
http://build.rockbox.org/

It has USB enabled so you can use rockbox USB!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-09-2009, 02:14 PM

Default Problems w/ 8 gig chip

Hi,
My name is Steve and I'm a dummy. Now that I got that outta the way.....here's my problem.

I've loaded the new version of Rockbox and have USB functionality (yippee).
I've got a new 8gig micro chip in my e270
I've just spent and hour or two selecting and loading (drag & drop) albums onto the new chip.
Rockbox can find the chip and can "see" the directories of the albums, but it can't find the actual MP3 files.
When I plug the e270 into my PC and open Winamp, I can use Winamp to find and play the MP3 files off of the e270.
When I open Windows Explorer, I can navigate the directory paths on my h:\ drive, which is the 8gig chip and see everything that I've dragged and dropped onto it.

So now I humbly need to tap into the collected wisdom of this forum and request one of you gurus to help me understand why can't I get Rockbox to see the music on the chip and also help me get my copy of RB to see it?

Steve

Old 05-09-2009, 02:51 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Are they actually MP3 files? I think by default rockbox hides files with non-music file extensions so you might want to check that they actually end with .mp3.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:46 PM

Hi,
I assumed it was an MP3 file...Windows Explorer officially calls it an "MPEG Layer 3 Audio File". FWIW, I use EAC to rip the files off my CDs.

RB doesn't seem to have any trouble with any of the music that I've copied into the main memory. It seems to be just the stuff on the chip.

Any idea where that leaves me?

Thanks,

Steve

Old 05-09-2009, 04:15 PM

You could try setting rockbox to show all files. (see manual)

Old 05-09-2009, 05:06 PM

Thanks for the help. The songs on the chip now show up and I can select the album and get the tracks to play, but they insist on playing in alphabetical order. Curiously enough, the tracks in the main memory comply with the album order. I'm off to search this forum for that answer cuz I know I've seen someone else posting about a similar issue. Thank doG for this forum.

one step at a time.

and, truly, Saratoga, thanks for your patience, insight and skills.

Steve

Old 05-09-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaTex View Post
Thanks for the help. The songs on the chip now show up and I can select the album and get the tracks to play, but they insist on playing in alphabetical order.
Thats normal. How else would they be sorted?

Quote:
Curiously enough, the tracks in the main memory comply with the album order. I'm off to search this forum for that answer cuz I know I've seen someone else posting about a similar issue.
Are you by any chance saying "main memory" when you mean to say "database"?

Old 05-09-2009, 07:15 PM

hi,
yes, when I say main memory, I'm referring to the "place" where songs are stored on the player if there is no micro SC chip installed. So it probably is more accurately called the database.

I'm an album oriented listener and if the songs are out of order from the way they are listed on the the original album (or CD) it bugs me. Okay...I'm a little bit anal. So, it seems to me that if RB can "look" at my e270's database and play the songs from a given album in the correct order, and if I don't change any settings in RB, then it should look at the albums on the chip and play them in the same correct order, also.

When I look at the file names as they are written by EAC, on my computer's hard drive, they are all structured the same. (One of the fields is the track #.)

So it's not like the files in the two locations are structured differently. The only difference that I can see is that one block of files is in the database on my player and the other is on the expansion chip.

Steve

Old 05-09-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
yes, when I say main memory, I'm referring to the "place" where songs are stored on the player if there is no micro SC chip installed. So it probably is more accurately called the database.
When you boot up rockbox, you can browse your files by either the database or the file browser. Which are you using? Its kind of important so that I have some idea what you are asking me.

Quote:
So, it seems to me that if RB can "look" at my e270's database and play the songs from a given album in the correct order,
No it can't do that. Rockbox doesn't touch any part of the original firmware or even really know that it exists.

Rockbox has its own database and its own file browser. The file browser just mirrors the FAT file system you see in Windows, while the database parses file tags and shows you something more like the view you would see in WMP or iTunes. If this is unclear, you might be interested in the rockbox manual.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:47 AM

Hi, again,
Sorry for not responding after yesterday afternoon, but Saturday night is "date night" with the missus and the computer gets turned off...and I get turned on.

Anyway...back to the topic you were educating me about. I think I now understand what you are saying. The music files that play correctly are in the database. The other ones are not in the database. The only way that I can see them is when I view them as files when I navigate to the <microSD1> from the "file" option at the main menu.

So I'm thinking that my question has evolved into this: How do I tell the database to include the <microSD1> files into the RB database?

Steve

Old 05-10-2009, 10:21 AM

Default Got it figured out!

duh! Try using the "UPDATE DATABASE" function...ya big dummy!

Hey, Saratoga...I think I finally got it....thanks for the education on file structures vs database entries. I just wasn't making the connection between what I was seeing and what I was doing.

Albums, tracks, playback sequence. Everything is beautiful once again in SansaLand.

And I knew it had to be something simple.

Now...back to our regularly scheduled programming...............

Old 05-15-2009, 05:42 PM

There's a little secret trick I use called track numbers. You stick them onto the beginning of the file name, like this - "01 - nameofsong.mp3". Works really well, especially if they correspond to the actual track sequence and the id3 tags. I guess it's not really a big secret, as all the major online digital music vendors use it as a convention. And EAC will add them by default also.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:56 PM

Does this build of rockbox: r21137 come with usb enabled?

Old 05-30-2009, 04:03 PM

The last build of Rockbox without USB was 3.2, and that was release in March. Anything newer has it.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:29 PM

I haven't been around for a while, but I love the USB support. I hear that there is a new bootloader that "eliminates" the OF. I sure would like to run that but I don't know how to install it..

HELP - how can I install the new bootloader?? I am a Windows XP person

Old 06-17-2009, 05:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_l View Post
I haven't been around for a while, but I love the USB support. I hear that there is a new bootloader that "eliminates" the OF. I sure would like to run that but I don't know how to install it..

HELP - how can I install the new bootloader?? I am a Windows XP person
Refer to this post for a link to the updated bootloader and instructions on what to do with it in Windows (you'll be using the "Run..." command in the Windows "Start" menu). You'll need a sansapatcher.exe file as well.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:05 PM

Ok, so I had my Sansa E280 Rockboxed a while ago, but haven't really screwed with it in a while. I figured I'd try this newfangled USb thing so I booted my Sansa and ran the installer. Everything went smoothly and I added a bunch of skins, it's a great piece of software.

My problem is all the text is garbled up. The menus function, but are unreadable. Does anyone know what happened? Should I re-flash it?
Cowon S9 32GB sold

Old 07-08-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1fan07 View Post
Ok, so I had my Sansa E280 Rockboxed a while ago, but haven't really screwed with it in a while. I figured I'd try this newfangled USb thing so I booted my Sansa and ran the installer. Everything went smoothly and I added a bunch of skins, it's a great piece of software.

My problem is all the text is garbled up. The menus function, but are unreadable. Does anyone know what happened? Should I re-flash it?
When I've seen garbled text on the screen its usually due to the theme using a font that was designed for a custom build (ie - not supported by Rockbox). If you've got the voice menus working, navigate to settings > theme settings > font > then a slight move of the scroll wheel to use a different random font. If the voice menu is NOT working try doing the same thing but based on the line number/position on the screen (it takes some trial and error).

Old 07-08-2009, 02:20 PM

Delete (or rename) your old .rockbox directory, and install a new build in its place.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:21 PM

Its also possible that the player is set to use a language that uses different characters. Someone recently uploaded a theme which did exactly this - I think it was Portugese. Again it took blind trial and error (or voice assisted) to navigate to Settings > General Settings > Language > English (which I assume you use)

Tags
e200, usb