android
Old 02-10-2009, 06:15 PM

Default Creative Zen M 30gb screen black-out. Not charging.

I have a ZVM 30gb that is not working. I bought this player about 3yrs ago. when I try to charge the battery the screen stays black......when it does come on it shows my wallpaper with information of the last song I was playing and below that is this message: Switching display to A/V Out..... then the screen turns black again. The player is not charging at all. I will appreciate any help with this problem.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-11-2009, 10:58 AM
Ultra Senior Member

How and what are you using to charge the battery? Sounds like what ever you are plugging in is initiating the A/V out.

To disable the screen blanking try this:

Main Menu -> System -> Photo/Video Settings -> Video Out = Off. This prevents the display from turning off when you plug into the A/V jack on the sync adapter/dongle.

Zen FAQ

Old 02-11-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
How and what are you using to charge the battery? Sounds like what ever you are plugging in is initiating the A/V out.

Main Menu -> System -> Photo/Video Settings -> Video Out = Off. This prevents the display from turning off when you plug into the A/V jack on the sync adapter/dongle.
I appreciate your response.
I am using the sync/dongle to charge the battery, by plugging it into the USB port on my computer. The battery is low so the screen does not stay on long enough to change the settings. Is there another way to at least get the battery charged?

Thanks very much for your help

Old 02-11-2009, 04:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Do you have a wall charger? Even if the A/V out is triggered, the Zen should still charged when connected. Leave it connected for a long while to get a full charge. Then you can power on without being connected and make the change. When it is plugged in, do you see the power light blinking off and on indicating its charging? With it connected, check Device Manager on the computer to ensure it is being recognized correctly and having the driver load without error so it can be receiving the full charge current through USB.

Zen FAQ

Old 02-20-2009, 09:58 PM

Thanks for your help. Yes, i do have a wall charger but it is not sending a charge to the Zen.....nothing happens when I plug it into the Zen, I do not even get the blinking blue light.
I left my Zen plugged into the usb port of my computer for about 24 hours and it still did not charge. The only thing I see is the blinking blue light near the ON/OFF switch, but the Zen itself is not turning on after leaving it on charge for that long a time.
I checked Device manager with the Zen Connected, but I do not see it registered as a device. When I open the Zen media explorer it tells me that my Zen is not connected. Somehow the computer is not recognising the Zen.
I installed a new battery bought from an internet store, but the battery is too thick and won't let me close the case of the Zen.......there is no way to put the screws back in. So I have not been able to try this new battery out. I still have a black screen.
Is my Zen totally out of Whack.........is there anything I can do to get it working again.......?
Please HELP.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flomoku View Post
I do not even get the blinking blue light......The only thing I see is the blinking blue light near the ON/OFF switch, but the Zen itself is not turning on after leaving it on charge for that long a time.
Which is it? The blinking blue power switch light is the light that will blink when charging.

Quote:
I left my Zen plugged into the usb port of my computer for about 24 hours and it still did not charge.
Try a couple of days or so...

Quote:
I checked Device manager with the Zen Connected, but I do not see it registered as a device.
You won't unless the Zen is powered on and booted into Recovery Mode or into the firmware.

Quote:
When I open the Zen media explorer it tells me that my Zen is not connected. Somehow the computer is not recognising the Zen.
Again, not until powered on.....

Quote:
I installed a new battery bought from an internet store, but the battery is too thick and won't let me close the case of the Zen.......there is no way to put the screws back in. So I have not been able to try this new battery out. I still have a black screen.
I would return it and get a true OE replacement battery listed in this thread.

Good luck!

Zen FAQ

Old 03-16-2009, 08:28 PM

I received my new battery. Am able to turn on the ZEN and listen to music, but now the computer is not recognizing the zen at all. I opened the Zen manager and it tells me that the zen is not plugged in. The zen does not show up in device manager either. Whats going on..??? I need to be able to charge this new battery, as it is running down.
I turned off the zen and when I plug in the dongle the zen turns on. but yet it is not being charged and the computer is not recognizing it. Am I missing something..?? What else can I do. I will really appreciate your help.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:39 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Try other USB ports, try other known working USB cables, another sync adapter if possible, and even booting into Recovery Mode and doing a Cleanup. The database in error can keep the ZVM from enumerating properly.

Zen FAQ

Old 03-18-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Try other USB ports, try other known working USB cables, another sync adapter if possible, and even booting into Recovery Mode and doing a Cleanup. The database in error can keep the ZVM from enumerating properly.

Thanks for the suggestions.
I just spent the last 4hrs. trying to get my zen to be recognized by my vista desktop and my two XP laptops........to no avail. I bought new USB cables from Amazon. Still I can not get the computer to recognize the zen when I plug it into the computer.
The only thing that happens upon plugging the Zen into the computer.......is that, it turns on, then after a few minutes I get an "idle shutdown".....and the zen shutts down.

I also booted the ZEN into recovery mode......and performed a "clean up" and a "Reboot".......Also plugged it into USB while in recovery mode. Still nothing showing up in device manager, and still no charging.

Whats going on? Why does plugging into USB turn the unit on.....and yet not charge it or have it recognized by the computer.......this is so frustrating. Is there anything else I can try...? Am I missing something....?

Old 03-19-2009, 12:20 AM

Quote:

I have been reading the threads regarding battery issues. I replaced my battery few weeks ago with with LPCS285385 1400mAh 3.7V. My firmware version is v1.62.02 All the posts seem to indicate that this battery works best with firmware version v1.41.01

Is it possible that my firmware version v1.62.02 could be incompatible with this battery and hence causing my connection problems???? If so, how can I get a replacement battery that my firmware will tolerate??

Or, is it possible to downgrade my firmware to v1.41.01 ? If so, how can I accomplish this, since the ZEN can not be connected via USB to my computer?

I really appreciate any help you can give me

Old 02-23-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:

This has problem had been driving me crazy! It would happen (not every time, but often) when I docked my Zen with the Playdock Zen. No more! I registered on this forum just to thank you!

Old 11-29-2011, 03:26 AM

Quote:
I have been reading the threads regarding battery issues. I replaced my battery few weeks ago with with LPCS285385 1400mAh 3.7V. My firmware version is v1.62.02 All the posts seem to indicate that this battery works best with firmware version v1.41.01

Is it possible that my firmware version v1.62.02 could be incompatible with this battery and hence causing my connection problems???? If so, how can I get a replacement battery that my firmware will tolerate??

Or, is it possible to downgrade my firmware to v1.41.01 ? If so, how can I accomplish this, since the ZEN can not be connected via USB to my computer?

I really appreciate any help you can give me

Hi ,
I had the same issues you had with my ZVM30 gb...so i bought a new battery online and replaced the old one and the unit worked ok.....until I updated the Firmware from the Creative site. After the update the unit would not work on battery power alone and even after charging for days...still nothing.

After long fruitless searches on the Internet, i packed the unit awaythinking that it was useless....that was months ago.

Toady I thought I might just have aplay around with the unit to see if i could get it going...but still had the same problem...then I thought, "what have I done to change the player and stop the new battery from charging?"....from the day the Firmware was updated the unit did not charge the new battery and reportesd it as "Low".....so I removed the new battery and inspected it. The little circuit board on the battery that controls the intelligent charge was different from the original,( which I was so glad that I didn't dispose of)...any way, I thought i took the circuit board off the original battery and replaced it onto the new battery maybe that would work , as the battery is just a battery but the Intelligent circuit was made by Creative...and "WALLAH"...all working agin and charging perfectly.

It appears that Creative have realised that people are replacing batteries from the internet and not purchasing any from them, so they have quickly written a Firmware update to render those batteries useless...thats the only way I see it, seeing as how the battery worked ok with the 1.41 Firmware installed.

Hope this helps.
Cheers