android
Old 02-08-2009, 09:26 PM

Default Problems with ID3 tag track sorting

So my friend got a d2 which we were both happy because he thanked me after realizing how much more you can do with a d2 than the ipod lol. Since he's pretty new to mp3 players he also likes the idea of the touch screen instead of pressing buttons and etc. Yesterday he called me over so I could help him properly tag his music. After an hour or two using mp3tag to sort about 1000 files, we finally put them on the d2. But when viewing the ID3 mode, the track sorting is messed up. He basically has a similar problem like the one here: http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?p=209773

He doesn't want to have to go through all of his music and changing the track format all over again. Was there a firmware update that fixed this?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-31-2009, 09:56 PM

Lol it's been this long?

Old 04-15-2009, 11:24 AM

Default I've got sorting problems too.

No real answers for you, but I've got sorting problems too. My files are tagged with track numbers, but whatever I do I can't get my D2+ to use them to sort albums.

The only workaround I have is to use the folder system to access the files. Then they're sorted by filename, which, if you've named the files right, will work. Basically, it makes the id3 tag browsing useless, but at least I can listen to things where the order is essential (e.g., lecture files).

Old 04-15-2009, 01:08 PM

One way to simplify the changing of the track format.

In MP3Tag...

Convert - Tag -> Filename
Format string "$num(%track%,2) - %artist% - %title%" (or however you like as long as there is a track number in it)

Then Convert - Filename -> Tag
Format string "%track% - %dummy%"

This will take the XX/YY and convert it to XX in the file name. You can then bring XX back to the tag without "/YY".

Old 04-15-2009, 01:28 PM

The problem I'm having isn't tagging the files; they're definitely tagged with the track numbers. The only thing I can think of is if there's some funky encoding issue, or if the cowon only handles v2.x or v1.x id3 tags. I've got both on my files, but maybe having both is confusing it. I've tried just the v1.x tags, and that didn't help. I should try just the v2.4 and see if that works.

(I'm using a linux program to do the tagging: easytag)

EDIT: Oops, I just noticed that the above link suggests removing the total tracks from the tag. So I'll go back to just v1.x and remove the totals, and see if that works.

Last edited by nowan; 04-15-2009 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Mistake.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:18 PM
Banned

Definitively Cowon D2 support ID3v2.3 as the player manages correctly embedded cover art (proper of ID3v2.x) is also manages WMA tag which also has embedded cover art.
The rest of formats are also TAG managed correctly by x.59 firmaware or 3.02 if it's used D2+ firmware.
So there is no problem with OGG, APE, FLAC from the TAg point of view.
In firmware above mentioned all track number were correctly managed by the player.

There were problems in firmware x.57 and below for OGG files which needed some trick explained largerly in www.iaudiophile.com. in this thread

You don't mention what firmware version has the player and I assume that you are talking of MP3 files but by the problem explained seems that is the infamous OGG problem.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:11 PM

No, it's not an ogg problem, it's a problem with mp3 files. I've got a D2+, and the firmware was 2.01, and I upgraded to 2.02, and had the problem with both firmwares.

When browsing the media library I can select artist, then album, and I'm presented with the files in no apparent order -- not alphabetical, not by track. This apparently random order persists when I play the files.

If the cowon d2+ supports id3 v2.x I'd be pleased, because some of the track names on my files are longer than the 1.x limit (they're lecture titles). But I've tried switching to id3 v2.3, 2.4, as well as changing the encoding from utf-8 to iso8859-1, and so far nothing but the folder-based view has worked to get the track order right.

So far, it looks as if removing the 2.x tags and keeping only the 1.x tags, as well as removing the total tracks field, solves this problem. It may well be that the cowon d2 can read the cover art from the 2.x tags (I have no cover art to test that with), but based on my experience the support for 2.x tags is broken, at least as far as handling track numbers.

I haven't tried ogg files yet, and now you tell me that I'm going to have troubles there too.... *sigh*

Old 04-15-2009, 06:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Make the file names start with the track number, i.e. 01 - blah.mp3.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:25 PM

dfkt: if I understand what you're suggesting, you're suggesting that I use the file browser to find albums rather than the tag browser system...? Yes, that does work; it's just annoying that the tag system is broken. Being able to browse by genre, or artist, or whatever, is nice when you've got a bunch of different kinds of things to listen to.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:32 PM

Gah. I said that it looks like id3 v1.x without track totals may be working; it's not working. Still get the same screwey random order to the tracks.

The only way I can find to get it to work is to use the file browser, and have your tracks set up with a leading track number. I have to say that my experience with the cowon d2+ so far has been pretty sucky.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowan View Post
Gah. I said that it looks like id3 v1.x without track totals may be working; it's not working. Still get the same screwey random order to the tracks.

The only way I can find to get it to work is to use the file browser, and have your tracks set up with a leading track number. I have to say that my experience with the cowon d2+ so far has been pretty sucky.
Cowon D2 did manage perfectly ID3 tag... no need of tricks whatsoever.

What method do you use to transfer the files or albums to the player?

Old 04-15-2009, 09:09 PM

I use MSC mode to transfer the files, if that's what you're asking. I just mount the player as if it were a usb drive and copy the files into the music directory.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:58 PM
Banned

That's your problem... drag'n'drop or copy based in your operating system.

I suggest you to use a program (a media manager) to transfer the folders (albums)... jetAudio, MediaMonkey, winamp, teracopy... whatever... the one you like most. I use an excellent media manager named J River Media Center 13.

I've seen this type of problem when the copy is based in the OS (especially Windows)... I can't give a better explanation than Cowon D2 requires some help to organize its database.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:02 PM

Er, what? It's not like the files aren't getting transfered, or aren't getting into the db. And nothing I've run into anywhere else has suggested that I need to use special software to put stuff on the cowon.

Well, if it's what I need to do it's what I need to do. Is there any software known to work with the D2+ that runs in linux?

Last edited by nowan; 04-15-2009 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Gah.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowan View Post
Er, what? It's not like the files aren't getting transfered, or aren't getting into the db. And nothing I've run into anywhere else has suggested that I need to use special software to put stuff on the cowon -- I wouldn't have bought the thing if it had.
It's just a suggestion made by me... supposedly the reorganization should be enough to order and display the files... well this probably is the failure of Cowon D2: the process of reorganize the db is not capable.
Think the following too: Cowon D2 is one of the few players whose Music Library includes the content of SD Card.
One more hint. most of the user use the player via the Browser not via Music Libary as I do without any failure.
You can find this statistic in iAudiophile. Here

Just think the following... files are ordered in anyway in the HDD of the PC and are displayed appropriately by the OS, in Windows by the Explorer... this are transferred this way to the player.

Just try once transferring the files using Windows Media Player for instance and see what happens.

This is just my experience with my player... I've never copy folder (albums) using the OS but always using my media organizer and I've never had a single problem of db corruption or unordered tracks.

If this don't work for you... then I'm just simply crazy ... if it works you will know where the problem is.

EDIT. Choose any media organizer available in linux, the one that you use to play your music for instance, capable to copy files. Cowon D2+ doesn't require a special program for this purpose, just to send the files in order to help its db organizer.

Last edited by DaremoS; 04-15-2009 at 11:35 PM.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:52 PM

All my file names are xx - Track title, compared to his which have the name of the artist and album before them.

I don't want to have to change the track tags from x/x to x because x/x is a better way of sorting them and should also be a standard.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_headshot View Post
All my file names are xx - Track title, compared to his which have the name of the artist and album before them.

I don't want to have to change the track tags from x/x to x because x/x is a better way of sorting them and should also be a standard.
File names can be anything you want... have nothing to do with order by TAG.
It's only useful for File Browsing.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:50 PM

I'm talking about tag browsing though.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:43 AM

Hello I am having a similar problem.

So I understand that dragging and dropping messes the D2's db. But is there any way to fix that? Would re-syncing fix that problem?

Old 02-26-2010, 11:45 AM

Learn to use mp3tag .... really learn to use it, especially the batch functions.

Use ONLY ID3v2.3 tags - delete all others. I can't be sure, but I think this was the crucial step for solving my own DB issues.

Delete all tag fields (including extended tags) apart from:
ALBUM
ARTIST
GENRE
TITLE
TRACK
YEAR

My ID3 tag track numbers are simply: "1", "2", "3", etc...

That's it really. Since I started doing this I've had no problems with drag/drop or anything else for that matter.

I did a longer post here which has a bit more detail.

Last edited by IanD; 12-01-2010 at 12:18 PM.