android
Old 02-06-2009, 04:20 PM

Cool Identical SDHC cards - different storage??!

I have two identical 16gb AData SD cards, but when I reformatted them recently (with Panasonic SD Formatter), the available space on the cards were different. One had 15.4 gb and the other had 14.9! Same card, both empty of data. I reformatted the 14.9 card again with a full format, erase on, and it came out the same - 14.9.

It makes me think that some bad sectors were found on one card and so they were blocked off from being written to.

Anyone else have an explanation?? Just curious.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-06-2009, 04:28 PM

Very weird... are both made in the same factory (i.e. made in Japan/China/Korea/etc)?

Try running a chkdsk on the cards?

Old 02-06-2009, 05:06 PM

Well, I did chkdsk on both of them, and no problems were found on either. I even had it scan for bad sectors and try to write to them on the one with the lower value. Nothing! It seems very strange to me. They are both the same card, same brand, same size, purchased from the same store, although I bought one about three months earlier than the other one. That's the only difference.

I originally formatted both of them with the Panasonic Formatter when I first got them, doing a complete format on both. Both cards work fine without any problems. Go figure!

Old 02-06-2009, 08:27 PM

Cool

I did one more check. Now this is strange: the total capacity of the cards is different - 16,062,611,456 bytes vs. 16,536,043,520 bytes. Same brand (AData), supposedly the same size, different total capacity. Weird!

Old 02-08-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2inOregon View Post
It makes me think that some bad sectors were found on one card and so they were blocked off from being written to.

Anyone else have an explanation?? Just curious.
I kind of doubt that it's due to bad sectors. Flash cards have more memory than you actually see. Flash memory can only be written to a limited number of times before it gets too slow to write to it. The card has built-in routines that test the memory and when it's going bad other memory that's there just for that purpose is swapped for the slow memory or any memory that's not read/writable. So a bad sector is a temporary thing.

I have no idea why it's doing that. Maybe different manufacture dates and different chips. I don't think I'd worry about it too much.

Barry

Old 02-09-2009, 11:43 AM

Technically the size is supposed to be 14.9GB (16GB). Its the 15.4 (16.6GB) thats strange.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:53 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy Bad View Post
Technically the size is supposed to be 14.9GB (16GB). Its the 15.4 (16.6GB) thats strange.
Hmmm. That makes the mystery even more interesting. It's no big deal, but I just found it a bit strange.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:39 PM

I had the exact same problem, bought two AData 16GB SDHC cards that have different sizes, exactly the same product.

14.96GB - 33103616
15.3GB - 33997056

Still a bit worried that Ill lose data or photo's, but no issues yet.