android
Old 02-03-2009, 04:20 AM

Default P2 Won't Start Up

OK, so I use my P2 as a backup device too, and I once gave it to my sister for 10 minutes to transfer some of my videos to her computer so that she could watch it.

I don't know what she did, but she must have taken the P2 out of the computer before unmounting it (without using the Safely Remove Hardware thing).

Now, whenever I try to turn on my P2 or connect it with my computer, it, for 2 seconds, displays the startup splash screen, then freezes. I press the Reset button on the back, and repeat. Same response.

Help!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-03-2009, 06:58 AM
Ultra Senior Member

You may need to reformat it from your PC. If you are right about what your sister did then the file allocation table is likely corrupt. Gve that a shot then report back. You could also see if putting a fresh copy of the firmware on then letting it install gets it going again.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
You may need to reformat it from your PC. If you are right about what your sister did then the file allocation table is likely corrupt. Gve that a shot then report back. You could also see if putting a fresh copy of the firmware on then letting it install gets it going again.
I would try that, but sadly, when I try to connect it with my computer, it displays its usual "P2" startup splash screen video, then just freezes. I have resetted and tried again, without result.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Can your PC see the P2? Not emodio, but windows explorer. You mention "unmounting", and since that is often a Mac user term have you or your sister plugged the P2 into a Mac? Just fishing for more info.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

not sure if this will work, but turn it on, and let it freeze for a while. after the battery drains, try plugging it into your computer again.

might not work, but anything is worth a try...

Old 02-04-2009, 03:49 PM

try 'unbricking' the p2 as the firmware could possibly be too affected, then try re-connecting it, I have another idea, but I dont want to mess up your p2

Old 02-04-2009, 06:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngchulo View Post
try 'unbricking' the p2 as the firmware could possibly be too affected, then try re-connecting it, I have another idea, but I dont want to mess up your p2
search FWND looping screen on abi, and you will see how to unbrick...

just clarifying

Old 02-11-2009, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
Can your PC see the P2? Not emodio, but windows explorer. You mention "unmounting", and since that is often a Mac user term have you or your sister plugged the P2 into a Mac? Just fishing for more info.
Yep, the computer was Linux, I just lied to make it look like I used Windows because I thought the Linux part had no influence on the problem and only complicate matters.

After the incident, I have troubleshooted using a Windows XP computer. (I have two computers, one Linux and one Windows XP, and neither computer can see my P2 when I connect it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiouswonderer View Post
not sure if this will work, but turn it on, and let it freeze for a while. after the battery drains, try plugging it into your computer again.

might not work, but anything is worth a try...
Tried it, but with no result.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:22 AM
Samsung Moderator

You're going to need to do the FWDN tool method to manually transfer firmware to the device. http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=26367

Old 04-21-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
You're going to need to do the FWDN tool method to manually transfer firmware to the device. http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=26367
It doesn't work. That's for looping updating screens, and I don't get the steps 9 and 10, where I should get the "updating firmware" message. The screen just continues freezing.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:28 PM

how come this thread got 5 stars? hm, i think the problem was solved ..?

Old 04-25-2009, 12:44 PM

that happened to me once
the first time i connected to my macbook
i forgot to eject it
but i did the reset on the back and it worked

btw sometimes my cowon s9 do some weird stuff when i dont eject from osx
so i guess you really need to eject when its connected to any UNIX based OS

Old 04-25-2009, 02:23 PM

Thank you for all your help. But sadly, my problem is being misunderstood, and I will try to explain it further.

1. I press the Power button.

2. The splash screen plays. If you don't know what this is, this is the video that displays while the P2 is booting up, with a ringtone-like sound and a giant "P2" text with a bunch of circles in the background.
Usually, this startup theme video is 4-5 seconds long, then the main menu comes up. However, now, 2 seconds into the video, the screen freezes. That means no buttons work, the touch screen is inresponsive, and I have to press the Reset button on the back.

3. This is really important. Most of you will tell me to connect my P2 to a PC, copy all important files from it, and format the device. But you will realize, that for a computer to see the P2, the P2 has to first activate itself, and then accordingly start some configuration files that will enable communication with the PC. However, because of the above-mentioned problem in which my P2 freezes 2 seconds into the splash screen, these files don't get loaded and my computer in effect cannot view my P2.

4. I have tried holding the Power button + Reset button method mentioned in the unbricking a P2 with FWDN tutorial, but it doesn't work. I have also tried that tutorial as a whole, but as my problem isn't with a looping updating screen, but a freezing splash screen, it also has failed to work for me.

So, can anybody help me? Thanks.

P.S. I have tried all suggestions mentioned prior to this post. They do not work for me.

Last edited by Exsecrabilus; 04-25-2009 at 02:35 PM.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:52 AM
Samsung Moderator

Though I can't guarantee this will work, you can try using TCCtool to recover your P2. I have no experience with this, so I can't give specific instructions, but I have found instructions for rescuing a Cowon D2 (which uses the same chipset as the P2) and hopefully this can help and point you in the right direction.

http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17854

Old 04-27-2009, 06:48 PM

A lesson to all of you: As long as it's just "connected" to the computer and isn't "transfering" anything, then your pretty much safe to yank the USB out because it's not really using your P2, I do it all the time and never screwed me over once!

Back on the forum indefinitely

Old 04-28-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Though I can't guarantee this will work, you can try using TCCtool to recover your P2. I have no experience with this, so I can't give specific instructions, but I have found instructions for rescuing a Cowon D2 (which uses the same chipset as the P2) and hopefully this can help and point you in the right direction.

http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17854
I really can't understand what's wrong with my P2.

When I connect it to my computer, my P2 freezes as usual, and since it's connected to my computer, I assume it's charging.
I take it out hours after, and as usual, it freezes as it starts up. Only five minutes later, it flashes the Battery Low sign.
I am baffled and I plug it into the computer; it displays the Battery Low sign, except it actually charges.
However, when it has sufficient battery to commence the actual charging, the splash screen comes up and my P2 freezes again.
As you can guess, from that point on, it doesn't charge.

WTF!!!!!

Old 05-01-2009, 02:24 AM
Samsung Moderator

Did you try using the TCCTool program to flash the ROM firmware again ?

Old 05-02-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Did you try using the TCCTool program to flash the ROM firmware again ?
You mean the "tcctool -d ypp2 YPP2.rom (one of the two files found in the 5.10 firmware folder)" command? If so, I tried that a couple of times.

If not, can you explain?

P.S. Is TCC Tool supposed to be a GUI program? Because I can only access it through CMD and that's what I've been using.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:43 PM
Samsung Moderator

No, there is no GUI frontend for it.