android
Old 01-28-2009, 10:46 PM

Default Steps with "in ear headphones"

Is it normal to hear your steps with the in-ear headphones? Not the steps you would hear normally, but more in the inside of your body. I tried some sony's that came with my wife's cellphone and every time I took a step it would seem that everything inside just made a huge boom.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-28-2009, 10:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I run with mine and don't notice any noise from steps...but I can hear my hearbeat sometimes when working out...it's pretty noticeable...

Old 01-29-2009, 12:29 AM
Redneck Moderator

Maybe these steps are the microphonics of the cables? Some headphones suffer from it much worse than others. Usually IEMs suffer from it the worst.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:37 AM

The effect is called 'bone conduction' or more properly, 'occlusion effect'. There is no way around it unless you use custom mold (that passes the bony part of the ear canal, which is the second bend). Walk softly in softer shoe will help as well. Most IEM user will get over it in a few weeks of usage and eventually forget it.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:57 AM

Very interesting. That's one of things I didn't like about the SCL4's I got then returned. I always wondered why I didn't encounter that with full-sized headphones too. It's because they aren't touching that bony part of the inner-ear. That's probably whey they don't have microphonics as well...
Phonak Audeo PFE 111 (White), Sennheiser PX100 (Travel Purposes), Koss KSC-75 (Eh... Too Plingy)

Old 01-29-2009, 07:40 AM
Ultra Senior Member

With many IEMs (or canalphones) the microphonics is reduced or eliminated by looping the cable over the outer ear. I believe some are actujally designed to be worn that way.

Steve

Old 01-29-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post
The effect is called 'bone conduction' or more properly, 'occlusion effect'. There is no way around it unless you use custom mold (that passes the bony part of the ear canal, which is the second bend). Walk softly in softer shoe will help as well. Most IEM user will get over it in a few weeks of usage and eventually forget it.
Well the good thing is that I won't be using them for running, but the sound sure is loud.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
With many IEMs (or canalphones) the microphonics is reduced or eliminated by looping the cable over the outer ear. I believe some are actujally designed to be worn that way.

Steve
That's some really great advice! Wish I had thought of that.
Phonak Audeo PFE 111 (White), Sennheiser PX100 (Travel Purposes), Koss KSC-75 (Eh... Too Plingy)

Old 01-29-2009, 07:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post

Steve
Unfortunately that only helps for the cable noise, but not for the bone conductivity inside your body. I have some custom acrylic Sonus ear plugs without cables, and they "amplify" each step or heartbeat as well. And don't ever think about eating cornflakes while wearing those... explosive crunchiness.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Unfortunately that only helps for the cable noise, but not for the bone conductivity inside your body. I have some custom acrylic Sonus ear plugs without cables, and they "amplify" each step or heartbeat as well. And don't ever think about eating cornflakes while wearing those... explosive crunchiness.
LOL! sorry I couldn't help but laugh at that last part dfkt.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SansaRulez83 View Post
That's some really great advice! Wish I had thought of that.
I can't help but giggle at this, as the Shure SCL4s were designed to be worn this way. I mean pictures of how to wear them are on the box and on the manual. So you got fed up and returned them without ever actually putting them on the right way?

My Deviant Art page - they make great wallpapers