android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen

Old 02-02-2009, 07:01 AM

Unhappy My creative zen won't turn on. Showing no signs of life

I don't know what happened to it, but it suddenly stopped working, no lights, nothing. The computer still recognizes it as a USB device, but not as a Creative Zen. Creative Zen media explorer doesn't recognize it either. I opened it to see if a connection holding the USB port to the PCB was broken, but non of them were. Does anyone know what i should do/has any clue whats messed up with the player?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-02-2009, 02:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Since the computer is still detecting a device when connected, the Zen may just be locked up. Usually if the Zen is "dead" or powered off, Windows won't even recognize anything connected. Perhaps it is just froze up. Have you tried the Reset button on the bottem?

Zen FAQ

Old 02-02-2009, 03:00 PM

Default i tried the reset button

i tried the reset button, and it didnt do anything. i tried holding down the power button too.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:02 PM

mine has (had) the same problem. Now it's just... dead. I don't know what's wrong with it, but it's long gone.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:07 PM

thanks. that very well might be the problem. but i wanna try to fix it before i cannabalize it for parts... it looks to be in pretty good shape, nothing to messed up and all that. but i dont know what might be broken... i checked for broken power wires, and for broken connectors and i didnt see any, but i also dont know where to look. is there a way to reload the firmware onto the ROM?

Old 02-02-2009, 06:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1992Wraith View Post
i tried the reset button, and it didnt do anything.
What do you mean? When pressing the Reset button, the power should be cut, so it can look like it doesn't do anything.

Quote:
i tried holding down the power button too.
There is no power "button" to hold down. There is a power switch you can slide.

Quote:
is there a way to reload the firmware onto the ROM?
The firmware is not stored on the ROM, but the NAND Flash Memory. You need to have the power issues resolved before being able to reload firmware. That takes a Zen either booted up into the firmware or Recovery Mode to do.

Are both of your Zen's out of warranty? If not, send them to Creative for warranty repair.

Zen FAQ

Old 02-02-2009, 07:29 PM

sorry. i wasnt to clear there. When i pushed the reset button, it had no reviving effect, the computer registered the change, meaning the reset button did what it was supposed to, but it didnt make the zen turn on. meaning that after i pressed the reset switch, the power slide still didnt turn the zen on.
yeah. sorry. i call it a button, prob just because im stupid that way.
oh thanks! i thought it was the ROM. I dont actually know if there ARE power issues. if the little-blue-power-on-light is controlled by the OS, (i think it is, most little flashy-lights are) than when the little light wouldnt turn on because its not being told to. the broken connection might have cut power to the NAND mem. (looks like that might be what it was for) it might have lost all the data. As i said before, this thing showed no signs of dying before it suddenly stopped dead. it was working fine, the occasional freez-up, but working fine other than that. as i said, the computer recognises that its a USB storage device, and it registers when i push the reset button.

i dont know if the warranties had run out. probably, i had it for a while. anyway, i opended the case, which would have voided said warranty.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:40 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
sorry. i wasnt to clear there. When i pushed the reset button, it had no reviving effect, the computer registered the change, meaning the reset button did what it was supposed to, but it didnt make the zen turn on. meaning that after i pressed the reset switch, the power slide still didnt turn the zen on.
Do this with the Zen not connected to the computer. The Zen will detect power over the USB connection and turn on or prevent it from completely powering off. You want the power to completely turn off.

Quote:
oh thanks! i thought it was the ROM. I dont actually know if there ARE power issues...... As i said before, this thing showed no signs of dying before it suddenly stopped dead. it was working fine, the occasional freez-up, but working fine other than that. as i said, the computer recognises that its a USB storage device, and it registers when i push the reset button.
If the computer is recognizing a device when plugged in, you are getting power. It sounds as though you may have an LCD issue or another hardware issue preventing the Zen to boot properly. Try the Reset (not connected to the computer) and see if you can get into Recovery Mode or any other reaction from the display.

Quote:
i dont know if the warranties had run out. probably, i had it for a while. anyway, i opended the case, which would have voided said warranty.
It would have been good for you to check this before opening. If there was a hardware issue, it would have been covered under the warranty. Yes, opening the player will void the manufactures warranty.

Zen FAQ

Old 02-03-2009, 08:45 PM

I did press the reset button while the zen wasn't connected to the computer. I also tried the reset button while the zen was hooked up to the computer. Yeah, it's recognising a USB device, but it's not recognising that device as a zen, just as an unknown USB device. It might be an LCD issue, it has had them before where the display was just white. But even if you had an LCD problem thats stopping it booting up, wouldn't the little-blue-power-on-LED turn on?

Yeah, maybe i should have. But after two three? years, i think all the warranties would have run out.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
It might be an LCD issue, it has had them before where the display was just white.
It does sound like you have a defective Zen. Thw WSOD issue you can read about here.

Quote:
Yeah, maybe i should have. But after two three? years, i think all the warranties would have run out.
Two or three years??? The Zen has only been out for a little over a year.

Zen FAQ

Last edited by BobbyRS; 02-05-2009 at 09:54 AM.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:32 PM

yeah. maybe.. but with the white screen, it went back to normal, i think that almost every piece of hardware has some oddity about it.. it might be a problem it might not..
anyway... ummm might there be a connection broken/shorted? because i think i might wanna look for one of those guys.

i forget. sorry. the zen zen? maybe im remembering worng.. sorry.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
yeah. maybe.. but with the white screen, it went back to normal, i think that almost every piece of hardware has some oddity about it.. it might be a problem it might not..
With the WSOD, it can do that. It will eventually get worse or possibly show other LCD issues like the one you seem to be having. If you are getting the WSOD, then it is a problem. Please read the entire thread linked above for more information.

Quote:
i forget. sorry. the zen zen? maybe im remembering worng.. sorry.
Yes, the Zen.

Zen FAQ

Old 02-05-2009, 09:51 AM

i will.. please repost it.. making sure you have the url right.. my browser cant go there because its a faulty link.. maybe someone go trid of it. Thanks

thanks! works now

Last edited by BobbyRS; 02-05-2009 at 10:42 AM.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:54 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Fixed the link above.

Zen FAQ

Old 02-05-2009, 06:39 PM

ummm... will a dive to the floor kill a flash drive zen? it didnt have its cover on, but the computer still recognizes it to the point that it did before it took the dive. it dived about 2 ft. to a rug, would that build up enough static electricity to fry it? it hit with the hard plastic front, which i kept on to protect the screen. do you know if its dead or not? if it is, dont bother reading the rest of this, unless you want too that is.. thanks...

thanks! umm.. i got a newer version of the firmware to try and load onto my zen. When i ran the installer, it said that my zen was not hooked up to the computer. i have all the system requirements, but its not registering it. also, it is NOT registering it as a portable device. sorry. i misremembered. it DOES recognize it as a USB device though.. i looked at the jumpers to the screen, and they look fine. unless the LCD driver chip is messed up i think the LCD screen should work fine. i tried to get it into recovery mode again, but i didnt have any luck

Old 02-06-2009, 08:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The most sensitive parts to dropping the Zen (flash drive) would be the LCD and the battery. Did the Zen only get recognized as a USB device even before the drop? Have you tried other computers to see how the Zen is detected? It should not be detected as a USB Device and if it does so on multiple computers, then the Zen may have a mainboard issue.

Zen FAQ

Old 02-06-2009, 08:59 AM

Do you have an A/C charger? When I got my 4gb Zen refurb it acted very similar to this because the battery was totally drained. After charging, with the A/C charger not the computers USB, it began to work enough that I could get it to turn the screen on. Also, you did try the Zen on more than one computer? Right?

Old 02-06-2009, 05:01 PM

in reply to BobbyRS,
Ok, thanks! the mem blocks would be fine with any static? Ok. That's a relief. yeah, it did. So i don't think that it got hurt any. yeah, i have. It's recognized as a USB device on all the computers i have tried it on. Is there any way to tell for certain if it's a mainboard issue? And if it is, is there any way to fix it?

In reply to no9,
No i dont, but i could borrow my brother's. I'll be sure to try that. Yeah i did try it on more than one computer. With your zen though.. did the 'on' LED come on when you pushed the slide?

Old 02-08-2009, 09:36 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Is there any way to tell for certain if it's a mainboard issue?
Yeah, by your statement above:

Quote:
It's recognized as a USB device on all the computers i have tried it on.
It appears you have something corrupt on the mainboard. Something like the ROM or even the USB controller.

Quote:
And if it is, is there any way to fix it?
Yes, either by sending it to Creative for warranty repair or replacing the mainboard yourself (or by someone else) by finding another Zen to use for parts.

Zen FAQ

Old 02-08-2009, 05:27 PM

Ok, so it's a mainboard issue. That is pretty certain, right?
If the USB controller was messed up, wouldn't it still turn on? Would the USB controller make it not turn on?
Would it be feasable to take out the fried ROM/USB controller and solder on a new one? With one of those little solder pens and a toaster oven?

Thanks for al your help! I really appreciate it!