android
Old 11-07-2006, 06:31 PM

Default Language and Copyright questions

I've owned a Samsung YP-F1 for about a year and am quite happy with its features - it recognizes and displays Asian characters, for one thing. Lately though, it's been acting weird. I won't go into details. Anyhow, I took it back Best Buy and the conclusion was, I had the choice of replacing it with a different brand/model MP3 Player, because they no longer carry that particular model.

Now I'm considering exchanging it for an iRiver Clix 2GB for just an additional $20 with my Product Replacement Plan. However, I need a few questions answered before I decide to switch brands. I'm hoping someone will be able to help me out.

#1: Will this model display Asian characters (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc.) and other special characters (eg. , , , , , , etc.)? I listen to a wide variety of music in many languages, so this is very important to me.

#2: Will I be able to transfer (simply drag and drop/copy and paste, without the use of any programs) ANY song in one of the supported formats from a folder on my computer (let's say "My Music") to the MP3 "drive," which is usually my H drive on "My Computer?" This I can do with my Samsung. My boyfriend got an iPod and he couldn't transfer any song that he hadn't, um, purchased to his iPod, with or without the use of the program that it came with. We're both really frustrated with this.

Well, these are my main concerns. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-21-2006, 12:42 PM

Default The Clix has a Flash Lite 2.x user interface

@ #1

Yes, as far as I know, the Clix has a Flash Lite 2.x user interface which supports unicode (UTF-8). It is a Korean product produced in China (你好).

Old 12-21-2006, 06:36 PM

@ #2
Yes. You can drag and drop files from your computer to the Clix, provided you place them under the "Music" folder. This however will skip the database on your device, which means you will not be able to browse your music straight from the Music menu by Album, Artist, etc, only as files (which all your files will be under the unknown album/artist category). You can also browse from the Extras->Device Browser->[Music] menu, and access your music.

However the Clix offers you an edge over the iPod, it will synchronize using either Windows Media Player 10 or 11, you only have to have your library in those programs to sync. Even if you did not used these programs you at least require the WMP10 runtime components, and they include the dirver for you to be able to interface with the Clix as a regular "drive". Since the Clix is an MTP device, it will not appear as a "drive" as such, but as an "object", in this case a mobile media player in Windows Explorer, so even if you reject using Windows Media Player to sync your Clix you can still use Windows Explorer to add content to it, there are other advantages to this model (MTP) for media players, and that is choice: You have more choices to choose from when it comes at programs that will allow you to sync with your device, WinAmp, MediaMonkey, and other programs will allow you to build a media library (easier than in WMP, which I despise) and interface with the Clix.

However, these other media managers currently lack proper support for synchronizing Ogg files with your Clix. The Clix supports Ogg, the programs support Ogg, but they can't send Oggs to the Clix (for some reason, apparently MediaMonkey is in its way to solving this).

Hope you find this useful.

Old 12-22-2006, 10:29 AM

Actually, with my 4GB, firmware 2.00US, I drag and drop and I can sort through the files on the CLix by artist, song, album etc right from the Music menu. I never use WMP or anything else to sync. But I drop them in the 'Albums' file not the 'Music' file.

Old 12-22-2006, 02:05 PM

That's actually very interesting, Scrannel, you mean that you simply drop your Album's files (actual mp3/ogg/wma) to the Albums directory on your Clix? and still you have them available under the Albums menu under Music? That's handy to know, thanks!

Old 12-22-2006, 03:53 PM

I have them available under albums, by artist, songs etc.

Old 12-22-2006, 09:42 PM

Interesting indeed, is like being able to add files to the library by placing the files under a different location in your Clix, the Albums directory in this case.