android
Old 04-01-2009, 10:46 PM

1. With the default/most UCIs, no. If you have one of Nova's themes (P3 or Buuf) - you can play darts/speed while listening to music.
2. When you're on the music screen, it toggles play/pause. If you're anywhere else, it returns you to the home screen if you press and hold it.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-02-2009, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiouswonderer View Post
2. what is the little silver bump on the top of the player? is it some sort of home button?
if you'd look at the back of the player, it has a little sticker that says it's the play/pause tactile button. and if you hold it down it will bring you to the main menu, yes.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:36 PM

I was wondering if the S9's menu scroll is about the same as the iPod Touch's? I prefer the menu scroll the iPod Touch uses over, for example, the scroll menu the Samsung P2 uses (you merely flick the screen and each time you flick it goes down say 10 or more artists at a time.) Please answer me, thanks for the help in advance.

I've never let my school interfere with my education.
-Mark Twain

Old 04-03-2009, 12:58 AM

^ Yes, its has a kinetic scroll like the Ipod Touch.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:50 AM

hiya, simple and quick question. for the speed de/increasing function. what range of choice of speed is given? and does it change the pitch?

Old 04-04-2009, 09:29 AM
Ultra Senior Member

With 2.10 you can choose to keep the pitch the same, or let it change with the speed. Music has 50% to 150% in 10% steps. Video has the same. You turn pitch correction on or off in the respective settings menu. When it's off you'll hear audio get higher as it goes faster, and lower when slower.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
With 2.10 you can choose to keep the pitch the same, or let it change with the speed. Music has 50% to 150% in 10% steps. Video has the same. You turn pitch correction on or off in the respective settings menu. When it's off you'll hear audio get higher as it goes faster, and lower when slower.
mm..i saw the correction in video. didn't see one in music though. yes i have the 2.10 firmware. where do you find it? *-*

Old 04-10-2009, 07:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

You have to ebable pitxh correction in the Settings>Music menu first. If you are using a different Music.SWF the option to change speed might not be there. With Pitch correction OFF, speeding up the audio will increase it's pitch. With it ON the pitch will stay the same.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:03 PM

I went to Setting -> Music but all there is are

Skip interval
Seek interval
Resume
Play speed
Fade in

?

Old 04-10-2009, 04:13 PM

Pitch correction should be between play speed and fade in. You probably didn't upgrade to 2.10 properly. Check settings > system > information.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:57 PM

oh..got it. i accidentally upgraded to the 2.10beta instead of 2.10. problem solved now

Old 04-11-2009, 11:37 AM

Does the S9 have a screen timeout, that is if I'm playing music and naviagte from the Now Playing screen to a different screen, will the S9 return the Now Playing screen after a period of idle time? if so About how much time does it take?

Also if the above answer is yes, then does it remember the previous screen by allowing me to quickly go back without traveling through long hierarchial structures (like the D2)?

What is the overall opinion on the nagivation of the UI of the S9? (is it an improvment on the D2?)

Old 04-23-2009, 08:01 PM

no. if you are using the s9 while listening to music, and you you go to say...the settings menu... and then you let the screen go black. when you touch it and it the screen comes back on, it will still be in the settings menu. so in order to go back to now playing from another menu, go to home, and click music.

i didn't own a d2 so i don't know if it is a general improvement or not. but i can say that having never used a cowon or even a touchscreen before, i could easily navigate the s9's UI, and if you have any memory, then it gets pretty easy pretty quick.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:26 PM

At any point while browsing you can hit an X in the upper right and it will take you back to the music screen (if that is what you were listening to of course)

Old 04-23-2009, 11:38 PM

Thanks, both of your replies have been helpful.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:56 AM

I have been using MTP mode to sync all my music from winamp onto my s9. Music has been tagged with MP3Tag 2.43 and all works fine appart from the covers, they are all very badly pixelated when viewed on the s9.
The art is usually 500x500 or 300x300 in size, but all of them look rubbish. I would prefer not to copy all the music folders in msc mode since that would not keep it in sync with winamp. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Old 04-24-2009, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceMathias View Post
I have been using MTP mode to sync all my music from winamp onto my s9. Music has been tagged with MP3Tag 2.43 and all works fine appart from the covers, they are all very badly pixelated when viewed on the s9.
The art is usually 500x500 or 300x300 in size, but all of them look rubbish. I would prefer not to copy all the music folders in msc mode since that would not keep it in sync with winamp. Does anyone have any suggestions?
I've heard flash image scaling is pretty awful. Most of my cover art is 500x500 and freshly downloaded and it looks fantastic on my S9 though. Have you checked the cover art on your own computer using image preview or something to see whether or not they're just scaled up to 500x500/300x300? If the flash scaling IS the problem (which I don't think it is) you could also try transferring a cover that is scaled already.

If all else fails you could download a test cover art with Media Monkey (what I'm using for cover art - honestly I love Winamp so much but I find myself caught between the two) and see if the art looks better. Cover art varies in size but it works for me.

Also, what UCI are you using? Are you using the default one? (If so, your album art will scale to 200x200 approx for display, 64x64 I think for coverflow.) Or are you using a custom one? (A UCI like DarkFlash that allows cover art to be shown from one edge to another would display at about 272x272 according to the resolution.)

Old 04-24-2009, 04:12 AM

thanks for your response Fuzzy,
I have checked the size of the images, they are the correct sizes, the resolution is 72dpi (is that high enough?).

Am reluctant to get media monkey just cause i have everything set up on winamp the way i like it and can't be bothered to sort it on a new program.

I am using the default UCI, FW 2.20, it looks bad when viewed in portrait mode on the music screen. If i go to cover flow (landscape) the art doesn't look too bad (still not great though).

If i transfer the cover image (exported from mp3tag) as a picture onto the device it looks fine when viewed in the picture gallery.

Also when viewing the music folder in MSC mode there is a file in each album with the extension .alb and is less than 10kb, is this the album art? The original art is about 50kb to 100kb so not sure why it has been shrunk so much.

Any other suggestions?

Old 04-25-2009, 05:19 AM

Yeah, I just switched to the default UCI for the korean firmware beta. Some things look better than others, but generally I find it acceptable (maybe my eyes are borked). Linkin Park's Reanimation cover looks like ass but it did a bit on 272x272 too. The pictures look good in picture viewer at min zoom level. I have to say cover art just looks better with the full width of the S9 available for the image. If you're not too big a purist, I'd recommend downloading one of the many great music UCI alternatives out there so that the art can be viewed in this way. You can just download the music.swf so that other menus are unaffected also. The only pain in the neck is you'll have to either delete it or wait until a little while after the FW 2.30 release for music UCIs to incorporate the new (and appropriately awesome) coverflow feature.

It's a long shot but I guess the other thing that might make a difference is whether or not you merged the album art with the tags of each mp3 file or use the folder based cover.jpg. I have a mixture and don't notice much difference.

Interesting discovery with the .alb file. I assume that is a scaled down image, but I do not know where or how it is used. The 2.20 FW uses different scales for album art in the landscape, portrait and quick list views so I doubt it's a one-size-fits-all scaled file. I thought the S9 did it on the fly. In my experience a 10kb file indicates album art that is less than 200x200 in scale. There's a possibility this is the file it uses to display the portrait mode picture.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:23 PM

I've got a very important question about ID3 tag browsing;

Does the Cowon display all albums without a hitch? This is actually A MAJOR problem, as I'm very anal about proper display. I prefer ID3 tag based browsing over folder based. By this I mean, lets say I have an album by DJ Tiesto. The album is called 'In Search of Sunrise' and has two discs. ID3 tag based browsing starting with artist should go like this:

Artist > Album > Disc > Track

or in my case:

DJ Tiesto > In Search of Sunrise > Disc 1 > Track 1

I currently have a Sony HD5 and it doesnt recognize disc numbers, therefor my albums would have to be renamed 'In Search of Sunrise CD1' otherwise both discs get mixed together and the track orders are as follows; 1,1,2,2,3,3,etc. As you can see, a continuous liveset would have the tracks completely out of order.

Does the Cowon S9 recognize Disc numbers (1 of 3, 2 of 3, 3 of 3, etc)? If so, how are they displayed when browsing through tracks if the album with all discs is tagged under the same name? Would the tracks appear like this:

DJ Tiesto > In Search Of Sunrise > Track 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, Track 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8......

Thanks guys!

Tags
answers, cowon, s9, trouble