android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Other Brands

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-21-2009, 07:40 PM

Default Ever wondered what a Rio Nitrus looks like inside?

Well wonder no more. My old Rio Nitrus has a failing battery for sure, and a possible failing hard drive (the infamous "Click of Death"). So, I figured I did't have much to lose by opening it up to see how practical replacing the battery and hard drive are. I took pictures to share with the rest of the crew on ABI.

There's one screw holding the back on, and it takes either a very small Torx bit or spline type Allen wrench. The clips that hold the back to the front will release very easily, but the glue that is between the back of the case and the support for the hard drive is a different story. Slowly prying and working the glue loose does the trick. Then it's just the matter of two more Philips head screws and it all comes apart. The hard drive connects to the board with a ZIF connector, the battery has a plug connector as well. I was surprised that it wasn't soldered. The battery is stuck to a rubber pad with a thermistor sandwiched between them, and the other side of the pad is stuck to the board. I think the system chip is under the pad. I understand from some reading elsewhere on the 'net that the Nitrus is a Simtel 35xx based player.

The battery would be a cinch to replace, and I've found them available several places. The hard drive is another story. It's a Cornice drive, and so far I haven't located a source for either the original 1.5GB or hopefully a 4GB intended for a Carbon.

Anyways, I got it apart, and back together, and it still works as well as it did before I took it apart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nitrus1.jpg (128.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Nitrus2.jpg (77.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Nitrus3.jpg (98.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Nitrus4.jpg (119.5 KB, 24 views)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]