Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-31-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confispect View Post
Are the Hd-555 a netrual phone?
yes they are actually pretty neutral

Old 03-31-2009, 11:18 PM

Default My cowon s9 review

Alright, I've been using my cowon for roughly 3 months now. Sooo, im finally reviewing it.

I'll start off with the hype kind of things.

The AMOLED Display
- Well, the AMOLED display is just about accurate as the hype. Brilliant, dazzling colors. More vivid colors, blacker blacks, brighter whites.
Honestly, you just have to see it in person. This is DEFINITELY the future of handheld device screens. It is basically perfect

The Battery Life
- Definitely an object of desire, with its "up to 55 hours of music".
I have not timed the amount of time the battery takes to completely drain. But I definitely know its a long time. I usually charge it about once a week, but it usually gets charged for 5-10 minutes daily, as I download and install updates and games, music, etc. However, the sound quality you play determines a role in battery life. I usually use BBE Headphones 3, because it gives a nice equilibrium of bass, trebel, and vocals. I believe on the Normal sound, you get 55 hours of music, but with anything else its less.
My girlfriend watched Anchorman and Pineapple express on my cowon s9 today, and that was roughly 4 hours, but I hadn't charged my cowon so it almost got the battery drained, but not quite. So it is definitely the best battery life of any device I have used or looked into.

Sound Quality-
You definitely get your share of options in messing around with sound options. From the EQ, to BBE and the mp enhancements, to music speed, and other variety of sound choices, from Hip-Hop, to Vocal, to Metal. There is not a great amount of difference, in these, but you can tell a difference. Not a great difference, but there is a great deal of variety to choose from, so it is almost up to hype. Not as great as it sounds, but it is still wonderful.

Audio Play-
Audio play is especially wonderful, with all the different extensions you can use, there is definitely a change in sound variation between, using a FLAC, or a 128kbps or 260kbps kind of song. However the higher rates of mp3 220, 320, etc, and FLAC are almost the same. I can't tell the difference really, but then again, I don't have "golden ears"

Video-
Video quality is great, again going back to the screen, bright, vivid, bold colors really bring out detail, however, the small resolution is kind of a bother, you can still see pixels in videos if you dont convert them like me, because we're lazy.

Flash Games!-
Kind of pointless, unless you have that one teacher, who always makes you watch a crappy tv show, then you have something to do in class. I recently started playing connect four on mine. While it is still rather odd to put the idea for flash games on there, it is still original, (well I think it is). And cowon deserves points for going where no pmp maker has gone before (maybe).

Pictures-
Goes back to the AMOLED display, bright colors, not so great resolution for a screen.

Documents-
Incase you didn't how how to use Ldb, you might have put song lyrics in txt documents. Like I did. The idea to be able to zoom in on all text options or documents was a smart move on cowons part. It shows that they care about all demographics of people. From the kid who loves online games and music, to senoir citizens who only desire to keep up with the times, and people who just like music.

Basic User Interface-
Honestly, I was not very impressed with it. It sort of has this unfarmiliar sense upon 1st- 6th use of it. It definitely loses to iPod in this. iPods, pretty much anyone from senoir citizens, to deaf and dumb "red-headed-step-children" can use them. This takes a little effort, and getting used to.
However, pretty much everything loads quickly with the flash based OS on it. Except pictures. I don't know why really, but they always seem to take the most time loading.

I really like how they made the OS flash based, so that you don't have to know programming really, to make changes to your interface on either the main menu, or music or even on the radio. Very innovative. I was duly impressed by the amount of people creating things for it. It was a very smart idea of them to do this. That way, they do less work in firmware upgrades. Its mainly up to the users to change the UI.

Podcast ready-
I honestly don't even understand how to use this on the cowon s9. Its like trying to read Egyptian Braille Hyroglyphics to me. I've tried, but alas. No luck.

Radio and radio settings-
I definitely was pleased with these. The radio transmitter thingy is good, and the whole recording the radio station idea, I thought was cool. And you can change the audio quality of the recording which is cool also.
And booking marking stations was a smart plan too. However, you don't always get good reception for some stations, but eh.

File Transfers-
Easier than David Spade's mother. Click, drag and drop. Easy to use, easy to understand, even to those with little computer knowledge.

Bluetooth-
I was pretty disappointed with this. I was deciding between getting a samsung p2 or the cowon s9. If I had thought the bluetooth was the same as on the p2 I may have chosen differently. But it only works for speakers with bluetooth or whatever, and I would have much rather had file transfers from phones with it, or like the ability to take calls, other than that, it is basically useless.

Charging-
Easy, just plug it in to a usb port really.
Unless you arent around a gaming console or computer or some kind of USB port for about a week or so you're boned.

Touch Screen-
Not that bad. I like the whole only responds to fingers thing. That was neat. However, it could be a tad bit more sensitive. and accurate. If i had a nickel for everytime it chose something else, I could probably buy like, a lunch buffet, or like a Happy Meal.

General Feel of the pmp-
Very light. I was shocked at just how weightless this product was. Some say it has a hollow feel, and I understand that, but good Lord! This thing is like holding like 4 pencils.

So basically it boils down to this

PRO's
  • Good screen
  • Relatively easy to use UI
  • Great sound
  • Great picture
  • Games
  • File Extensions out the wazoo
  • Great array of settings overall, for display, music, video, etc.
  • Feels good in your hand
  • Tactile Buttons
  • Easy file Transfer
  • Great battery
  • AMAZING price (I got mine for under 250$ w/ shipping.....16GB model too)
  • Great opportunity for UCI and flash programmers

CON's
  • No internet browser. Like, really. It is almost 100% neccisary to compete with any upcoming pmps.
  • No Built in speaker. It would definetly be a much better pmp if it had one.
  • Hollow feeling
  • Sortof hard to get used to at first UI.
  • Small Resolution
  • Annoyingly useless bluetooth (for me)
  • Podcast ready is not very easy to use, I think.

Basically thats my cowon s9 review/

Old 04-02-2009, 09:27 PM

I totally aree with you except for on 3 of your cons.

Internet browsers are all good and dandy, but when you get down to it, even the most powerful Internet-capable MP3 player (Archos 5) is pretty slow, and the Wi-Fi drains the battery life REALLY fast.

Built in speakers are kind of like Internet browsers to me. On a PMP, they generally are only good enough quality to only watch a short video clip (My only exception to this is the Zen X-Fi) and they drain battery pretty fast, too.

Resolution? You must have pretty good eyesight if you're noticing the resolution...it seems just fine to me.

Other than that, I think you nailed all the key points of the player. And really, the speaker and browser are subjective.

EDIT: This is a reply to e6xd's review. In case no one got that.

Last edited by Tommifier; 04-02-2009 at 09:33 PM.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

S9 Weight: 78 grams.
Pencil weight: 5 grams.
S9 weighs as much as 15.6 pencils.

No browser? Pay an extra $40 to get a Touch with one.
Speaker? I'll agree. Not for music, but good for somethings.
How does hollow feel? See beginning of this post.
Even the Touch is hard to get used to. That Home button isn't intuitive if you've never used one before.
Small resolution? Touch 3.5" screen with 480x320 (577 diagonal). S9 3.3" screen with 480x272 (551 diagonally). 577/3.5=164.8dpi. 551/3.3=167dpi. S9 has a higher resolution for it's screen than the iPod Touch.
Yes, you'll need bluetooth headphones or bluetooth speakers to take advantage of the S9's bluetooth.
Podcasts are simple MP3 files in most cases. Download them from the podcast's site, then copy them to your S9. Stick them in their own folder if you want. You can't do that on a Touch, but iTunes does make podcasts almost too simple to aquire.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:49 AM

i can never understand why people want a wi fi on your pmp. a pmp is for listening to music not surfing the web and i do understand that it has some advantages such as downloading music but seriously its just a gimmick to me and waste of money

Old 04-03-2009, 06:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck332 View Post
A pmp is for listening to music not surfing the web and i do understand that it has some advantages such as downloading music but seriously its just a gimmick to me and waste of money
That's why they make players without WiFi. You don't need to understand why other people want something. I personally don't understand why others wanting wifi matters to you. It's nice that you care, regardless.

I expect these pocket devices (with more processing power than my first several computers) to do more than just play music. Let go of the limits of "PMP" and it's easy to see the potential.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacramento View Post
Right, So I got my hands on some good quality Senns this weekend. The dfkt recommended Sennheiser HD555's to test and compare the sound quality of a range of some of the most popular players on a level playing field. Here's the set-up....
How do you find the JetEffects on the S9 + the HD555s?

I was playing around with my brothers D2 the other day, and found that with my HD555s the sound was better with all JetEffects turned off. It may just be my personal preference, but I'm curious to know whats its like on the S9.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempnam View Post
How do you find the JetEffects on the S9 + the HD555s?

I was playing around with my brothers D2 the other day, and found that with my HD555s the sound was better with all JetEffects turned off. It may just be my personal preference, but I'm curious to know whats its like on the S9.
as you said its a personal preference..

Old 04-13-2009, 12:46 AM

I don't think one needs a browser too...yet. Given the price of the Cowon now, at $200ish for 16GB, it is not competing against the touch, but that of iPod Nano 16GB. This is a huge kingmaker! iPod Nano cannot compete against a DAP of this calibur with a price difference of 20 dollarish!

The perfect combination at this price would've been blending a YP-P3 with the S9 and take the best of both worlds... AMOLED, bluetooth streaming/phone support, flash games, haptics, accelerometer, EQs...

Old 04-21-2009, 03:16 PM

Well from its roots an MP3 players is always about the music. Video and Interenet, to me, is just as gimmick. People fall for it, but it is'nt practicle when you own a computer or a notebook or even a PDA. Theres just better devices out there for internet browesing.
I've never gotten the point of video either for the same reasons.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

From their roots, PCs were all about spreadsheets and documents. They had no way to play or capture music except MIDI. Internet and multimedia was just a gimmick, but a few people fell for it. Music wasn't practical or necessary when you owned a tape player or LP deck. Video was limited to your VCR, and analog. It required a 90lb screen to watch, and there were better things to do when you were out and about.

Zoom forward in time, please. These players have more processing power than those early PCs. They have better screens and dedicated media processing chips in them. Audio and Video are now portable, more personal, and CAN all live in your pocket. All it takes is something really worth watching to recognize why it's nice to have video playback with you anywhere. Internet is getting to be so ubiquitous that we may not need it in our pockets, but once you're stuck away from your home or office PC, that pocket connection may be a lifeline. These players can certainly handle it. The technology is there. It wasn't when those early ipods came out. Steve Jobs originally saw no need for color screens on iMacs. They were expensive, and there was no method for output as printers were black ink only. Times change, eh?

The S9, with it's beautiful screen, is perfect justification to find some video to keep on it. It can play it. It can display it. You are wasting the technology if you don't. JMHO.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:39 PM

Have there been any improvements in firmware for some of the complaints made since the original post 4 months ago?

Old 04-28-2009, 05:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy Bad View Post
Have there been any improvements since the original post 4 months ago?
Heavens yes. We're up to 2.30b now. Worthless coverflow has been replaced with a cover array landscape mode. Widgets have been added. A new game shows off how sensitive the G-Sensor can be. You can give the S9 a shake to change tracks if you want. Exceptional users have written wonderful alternatives for the UI and apps that solve almost every other complaint. I rely on the stock firmware with just one picture.swf alternative because the default photo app still leaves icons on the screen in slide show mode.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:43 PM

Ok, I felt like I should not start a new thread, I think this one cover most
about the S9.
So I decided to add my impression after one great week of use with
this nice Mp3 player.

My player was a Legendery Rio Karma. It died once, I changed the
battery and the hard drive.
I did change the battery again one year after (I put a used battery at
the time). I searched for a replacement
for a while(3 years, and I was still not able to find a good one!). I
bought a Samsung Q1 in december and was not happy with the interface
nor the sound quality with my HD555.

So what kind of user I am?
I really picky one, if you want my opinion, first of all I find Mp3 to
be obsolite,
the way the compression works is way too destructive and the quality
of sound is really affected by this.
You can hear the difference easily with headphones valued at less than
100$ Can. Mp3 was good until a few years ago.
Now, the hard drives and Mp3 players are so big that dosen't change
anything that we use a other Format Like OGG.
Wich is less destrutive, better quality and a bit rate of 500kb vs 320
for the mp3 that may be use to plug in a HIFi stereo system (MP3 will
sound sooooooo bad on those things!)
Flac is great but it takes WAY too much space.... And my tests prove
that even on a stereosystem a ogg of 500kb/s will
be almost as good that of a flac.... SO for me OGG is vital and of
course sound quality is too.

So what I did love about my karma that I was not able to Find?
-Gapless
-Quick Interface and easy to find song.
-OGG support
-Best sound Quality
-Personnal DJ with multiple option.
-Five Band EQ.

Interface
8/10
A lot people complain, but like Sacramento I found the inferface well
tough and direct,
If you don't want to use the touch screen you can use the volume to
navigate and the next track to confire a file or the back track to go
in the folder before.
Some key options are easy to access. The main screen needs to have
some work done, but you can change it and they is already multiple GUI
on multiple web sites...
The only thing is some configuration options are not placed correctly
but that's ok, all players are like that!

Sound:
8/10
Ok I did test the player again the rio Karma and the Samsung Q1. I did use two headphone;the Senheinser Px100 and HD 555.
The HD 555 is my headphone at home. The px 100 is my travel one. I Use but everyday, it have a weakenness for the bass
but it really great for jazz, classic and vocal. The HD555 is awsome for everything but you need a good power output
to bright all it potential. Few Mp3 player can do that. All the test where done with ogg file of 500kb/s

First the PX100. That a cheap headphone, so most of the player can do bright it full potential, the Q1 was the worst
but acceptable in every way. THe Cowon was a bit better, in the high, nothing everything was clear. The Karma was the winner with some
better middle and hight the bass was a bit clearer too.
With the HD555, thing change however, The Q1 was way to weak for the headphone, losing a lot of bass and hight that could be reproduced.
THe Cowon did far more better, The hight were clearer and higher too. the middle more clear. The cowon did have a better bass but did have a
hard time with extrem bass(specialy with Hitomi no Tsubasa from Access). THe extreme bass did even have some major distortion with some Setting.
THe Karma was smoother and did have more bass and High...... SO the Karma is still the winner here.
However, With all those nice fonction, label cover, a nice screen and a nice way of using this player. I say that a winner. Add Gapless and A DJ and it
will kill the Karma, even with a sound a little less good....

Old 05-02-2009, 02:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

My Review of the S9:

Beautiful. A pleasure to look at. A pleasure to listen to. A pleasure to hold. Tastefully detailed. A pleasure to control. So far they've nailed five of my six senses. If they could make it smell like pure chocolate then it would be 6/6.

Six senses you wonder? Eyes. Ears. Touch. Taste. Smell. Last is our sense of appropriateness. The UI, given it's customizability, allows us to tweak our intimate interaction with our media until it suits us perfectly. The S9 is a pleasure to my sense of satisfaction.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:36 PM

http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/04/s...1050-hands-on/

they wrote the s-1000 screen is better than the s9 amoled OO

Old 05-04-2009, 06:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kshetar View Post
http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/04/s...1050-hands-on/

they wrote the s-1000 screen is better than the s9 amoled OO
Screw it, as the feature set and SQ of the S9 is more than enough. Besides, even though the FM tuner my be a crap shoot, the video out alone is a real deal maker. That, and the wonderful little flash games I'll screw with, it's all good IMO!!!

Old 05-04-2009, 08:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I doubt they've put the same photos on each and looked at them side-by-side. My guess is that they would look identical, except for the fact that the S9 has a 3.3" screen and the Sony a 3" screen. I'm not even sure the Sony has the same 480 x 272 resolution. I think it's a little less.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

As they say "to each their own". I feel there's a player for everyone, and no 1 player suits all the needs of us all. Find what features are best for you, then enjoy.