android
Old 01-20-2009, 07:01 PM

Default Playlist problem - infuriating

Hi, I've just bought a 4GB Clip and I'm trying to figure out how to make playlists work.

I've been using Winamp and have read some threads on this forum but to no avail.

I can see the playlist under the playlist menu on the Clip, but it won't play. I can play the songs without problem from the other menus (artist etc) but I get no love from the playlist view.

Please help!

It's a V1 Clip.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-20-2009, 09:13 PM

I'll try updating the firmware to see if that helps

Currently there is no "Playlist" folder in the player. Why might that be?

Old 01-21-2009, 10:37 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Heres what I do.

0) my Clip is in MSC mode, and all songs were added in MSC mode
1) plug in your Clip (yeah I know obvious - but maybe not to everybody)
2) create your playlist in Winamp
3) when ready save the playlist to the clip

Everything should work just fine

Steve

Old 01-21-2009, 01:50 PM

FreeZ5 is right, but I'll expand a little bit:
  1. Drag files from the Clip into Winamp's playlist editor
  2. Arrange the playlist as desired
  3. Save the playlist to the Clip's MUSIC folder.
  4. If you later want to edit the playlist, drag the m3u file from the Clip into Winamp's playlist editor and repeat steps 1-3, overwriting the original m3u
This assumes you are using MSC mode and added all your files under MSC mode. If not, you'll want to format the Clip, switch to MSC mode and reload all your files.

FYI, there is no Playlist folder in MSC mode (and it won't work if you create one). Make sure you save the playlist to the MUSIC folder.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:01 AM
Administrator

Smile It Finally Sank In!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinjob View Post
  4. If you later want to edit the playlist, drag the m3u file from the Clip into Winamp's playlist editor and repeat steps 1-3, overwriting the original m3u
This assumes you are using MSC mode and added all your files under MSC mode. If not, you'll want to format the Clip, switch to MSC mode and reload all your files.

FYI, there is no Playlist folder in MSC mode (and it won't work if you create one). Make sure you save the playlist to the MUSIC folder.
Thanks Skinjob ,

I have read and tried to follow the directions in multiple threads on how to create playlists in MSC and I always created broken lists. I had finally resorted to using Winamp or WMP in MTP.

I kept missing the "save the playlist to the MUSIC folder" part of the instructions and the playlists were always there but broken. The great part is that your instructions work with any jukebox I use that creates proper .m3u playlists. This lets me continue to use XMPlay as my jukebox.

I drag the files from the MUSIC folder to the XMPlay playlist, save it back to the MUSIC folder and BINGO working playlists! I really feel silly for skipping such an essential part of the directions.

Since XMPlay does not need to be installed I can carry it on the Clip itself and it works just fine. The ability to create .m3u playlists without Rockbox really lets me enjoy my Clip and v2 Sansa without all the WMP or Winamp bloat.

Thanks again for the first set of directions I really understood.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:30 AM

Glad it worked. The issue is that Sansa currently requires the paths in an m3u playlist to be relative to the location of the playlist. Which means that the files in the playlist either need to be in the same folder as the playlist or in some subfolder below the folder containing the playlist.

This is why puting the playlists in a separate Playlist folder doesn't work. The player expects to find the music files somewhere under the Playlist folder, and of course they aren't there.

Sansafix indicated that they are working on supporting full paths in m3u playlists in an upcoming firmware, which would solve the problem and let you put the playlists anywhere. In the meantime, putting them in the Music folder works.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:43 PM

Default interesting...

...I can't drag from the Fuze to the Winamp playlist editor - only from my music library on my PC to the playlist editor (?).

The only way I can get it to work is if I transfer tracks to the Fuze, then create a new playlist located in the MUSIC folder using the playlist editor. Then I have to use the manual "+" button on the playlist editor to add the tracks individually by navigating to them on the Fuze.

Then no leading slash is written to the track record in the playlist and it works.

It's really laborious and makes me think I'll ditch Winamp and go back to WMP or some other player.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkaboy View Post
...I can't drag from the Fuze to the Winamp playlist editor - only from my music library on my PC to the playlist editor (?).

The only way I can get it to work is if I transfer tracks to the Fuze, then create a new playlist located in the MUSIC folder using the playlist editor. Then I have to use the manual "+" button on the playlist editor to add the tracks individually by navigating to them on the Fuze.

Then no leading slash is written to the track record in the playlist and it works.

It's really laborious and makes me think I'll ditch Winamp and go back to WMP or some other player.
You are using MSC mode, right? You should be able to drag from Windows Explorer into Winamp's Playlist editor without any problems. To be clear, when I say "playlist editor", I'm talking about the current playback queue at the top right of the player (assuming you are using default Bento skin), not the playlist manager in the media library.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:34 PM

Ok, i did this EXACTLY as described here. This is what i did....

1. opened WINAMP's playlist editor
2. added songs from my hard drive
3. arranged the order that i wanted the songs to be in.
4. Saved the playlist in CLIP's MUSIC folder.
5. Unplugged the clip...it reloaded database. The playlist name showed up, but there WERE NO SONGS THERE!!!

6. What am i doing wrong?????????????????????????
7. Why is the playlist showing up, but there are no songs in there.

PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinjob View Post

Old 04-26-2009, 12:23 AM

You must move the songs to the Clip as well. In the MSC mode, you are doing the work. Another simple method:

Drag Songs from computer to Winamp
Use Winamp to cread playlist in the same directory on computer.
Now, drad all songs with playlist to Clip in MSC mode.

You can also do the same by dragging songs form Clip (in msc mode), but Winamp must make the playlist on the Clip.

If you open the playlist with a text editor, the file location must not have a relative path (i.e. \folder\folder\song.mp3) Should look something like:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:485,Artist - Album/Song
Album-SongName.mp3
...etc

assumes the exact file name is "Album-SongName.mp3"