android
Old 01-17-2009, 06:25 PM
Rockbox Staff

Default Question for owners of Gigabeat F / X / or S.

Which model do you own - and have you ever used the stock firmware?
Have you ever used Rockbox?

I'm very curious how many people who currently own these players used the stock firmware. Everyone I know bought one because of Rockbox and never once used the stock firmware. That being said I am surrounded by people who would do that. So I came here in an attempt to get a better sense of where the general population lies.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-17-2009, 06:28 PM

Bought an F40 and installed Rockbox immediately. Never even tried the original firmware.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:56 AM

Got a Brand new f40 a year ago and about two or three weeks ago i got a used f20. never used the original fw on the f40, but there were still some songs on the used f20 so i had it running with the of a couple of hours. It's horrible, as i recall, the a button is assigned to nothing, you could choose whether to use the cross for volume adjustment rather than file browsing. plus the browsing was very sloppy, it was translated in german and track was litterally called "pfad"... i wanted to copy the files to my machine, but the sat encryption posed to much a hassle for me to bear as there were only some mediocre songs on the device. a difference i have noted about the two devices, is that the f20 is slightly thinner than the f40, i guess because the hard disks in the drives are different models and the splash screen also slightly differs.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:17 PM
Rockbox Staff

Really? Nobody else has a story to tell?

Old 09-20-2009, 04:59 PM

I used the stock firmware once, and only because I wanted to compare the SQ to Rockbox. Besides that, it's been Rockbox since Day One.

Granted, I didn't buy my first Gigabeat until 2008, so Rockbox has always been available to me.

Old 09-27-2009, 03:20 PM

bought the gigabeat x30 in 2006 at $429 aus... sounded great but the ui was the worst ever... even worse than the sansa view... shocking.. i couldnt put any files on the thing. i could only put cd's on it....utter garbage
if you see this run away fast..http://www.it95.com/view/UploadFiles...1223642589.jpg
i would have loved to own the s30..

Last edited by captincaveman; 09-27-2009 at 03:29 PM.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:13 AM

Owned a gigabeat S60 since late 2006 and ran the original software until July-ish this year, 2009. I held back for ages waiting for the S to become "supported", by which time I'd done a 120GB transplant.

I worried about being able to salvage my S60 if the very manual install went wrong. In the end I bought a broken S30 for $25, fixed it and made it my experimental RockBox machine before committing permanently to RockBox.

That ugly Windows Mobile software did the basics OK, but support was crap (worst case - the random reformat should have been fixed immediately).

For all its faults, and it has plenty, RockBox is pretty stable even using daily builds, sounds better, and has a good dose of flexibility. A brilliant piece of open source software. gigabeat S plus RockBox is my preferred player against any newcomer to date.