android
Old 01-09-2009, 11:17 AM

Default UCI File Format

I am working on deciphering the UCI file format.

Before you sigh and roll your eyes, I actually know what I'm doing.

I know what ~85% of the values in the files mean, and I've figured out 2 of the 3 image encodings (Both are run-length encoded, one is 16-bit and the other is 24-bit). Cosmos and MySkin files have the exact same format (Just with different "image packs").

I'm continuing research on the format, and when it's complete, I'm going to make an editor.

Here are the features I've seen so far that I might be able to unlock:
  • Creating Cosmos and MySkin themes
  • Two backgrounds (one for main screen and one for menus and system screens)
  • Custom images for selected Matrix Menu icons
  • Changing the top-left corner menu icons
  • Creating a custom main-screen clock display
  • Creating themes that have icons for both File Browser and Rhapsody channel (will work on both BB and non-BB firmwares)
Heck, it looks like a UCI can define ALL of the images in the UI, not just the ones you see changed from skin to skin.

However, there's something you need to know. I will not be testing themes created with the program when it's done, as there is a possibility that a bad value or an overlarge image in a .UCI could brick the P2.

I'm sorry. It sounds selfish, I know. But I love my P2 too much to risk it. Using a hacked skin file would most likely void your warranty, and my family isn't exactly swimming in cash. I hope you can understand. Maybe the most you'll have to do is press the 'Reset' button. I don't know. But I can't risk it. The most I can do is make sure that the program writes files exactly as it reads them.

I will keep you posted on further developments.

UCI EDITOR
Current version: 0.0.4 (Plus bugfix)
Attached Files
File Type: zip ICU_0_0_4_bugfix.zip (58.4 KB, 275 views)

Last edited by MrIncognito; 03-18-2009 at 09:17 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-10-2009, 07:55 AM

Good luck in the development of the editor.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:09 PM

The program will not necessarily brick your P2, it might not allow you to use the edited UCI on your P2, and if it does lock it up it is possible to recover most FW related problems. In any case I am willing to betatest because my warranty is out and my battery is starting to fail.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:13 PM

How out of the ordinary for hacks and mods to be made after the hype is long gone. Regardless of whether the p2 has a hype surrounding it or not anymore, it is an amusing feat to get the p2 to its full potential.
Congrats on continuing the p2 mod.
No, I did not roll my eyes, instead a gleeful smile at new uci's for the p2. How much freedom, really, would this implement to p2's uci? Did you consider joining teams with the poster who made the font hack?

Old 01-11-2009, 10:38 AM

Why don't you try getting joco's help and combining ideas to keep the easiest one? You guys can also cooperate in a tutorial.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:52 PM

I'm working on a UCI using Joco's extractor/repacker. I'll release it when it's ready.

I, for one, am not worried about bricking my P2, because I've done much worse anyway. :D

It seems that the boot and shutdown images from the UCIs aren't used though.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:38 PM

Should you succeed in making a p2 uci with the editor, will there be a tutorial to follow? Why don't you get cognito's ideas implemented into the uci editor? Maybe combined it'll be a more user friendly app.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexzakl_4 View Post
Good luck in the development of the editor.
Thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVEYRAVEYGRAVEY View Post
The program will not necessarily brick your P2, it might not allow you to use the edited UCI on your P2, and if it does lock it up it is possible to recover most FW related problems.
That is a HUGE relief to hear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVEYRAVEYGRAVEY View Post
In any case I am willing to betatest because my warranty is out and my battery is starting to fail.
I'll be glad for your help. Sorry to hear about the battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music! View Post
How out of the ordinary for hacks and mods to be made after the hype is long gone. Regardless of whether the p2 has a hype surrounding it or not anymore, it is an amusing feat to get the p2 to its full potential.
Congrats on continuing the p2 mod.
Thanks. I love my P2 to bits (never literally, I hope). I do want to see the UCI system at its full potential.

I tried making one with Emodio. It turned out to be a BLUR-TASTIC PINKSTRAVAGANZA. (It's my fault for uploading images that weren't the right size and had alpha, but still >.>; )

Quote:
No, I did not roll my eyes, instead a gleeful smile at new uci's for the p2. How much freedom, really, would this implement to p2's uci? Did you consider joining teams with the poster who made the font hack?
Font hack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
MrIncognito you are not only one whose dealing with ucis.
http://thep2*zone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=337 (REMOVE "*" from the link, forums doesnt show p2 zone links).
http://jocohp.hu/?o=user_post&id=62&l=1 <- Jocos blog with Joco UCI download. Read the P2 zone post for more information.
Hmm, I'll have to take a look at that.

Quote:
Why don't you try getting joco's help and combining ideas to keep the easiest one? You guys can also cooperate in a tutorial.
Ease of use is my objective. The end result SHOULD (at least for Matrix type skins) be somewhat like Emodio (or more specifically, what it'd be like if it didn't suck horribly.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIncognito View Post
Font hack?
I created a font hacking utility. It can patch the P2's built-in fonts with any valid TrueType font, although some work better than others, due to the P2's font renderer being a bit quirky.

Seeing how worried you are though, you might not want to try it, because it does involve flashing the P2 with modified firmware files.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soaa View Post
I created a font hacking utility. It can patch the P2's built-in fonts with any valid TrueType font, although some work better than others, due to the P2's font renderer being a bit quirky.
That, sir, is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soaa View Post
Seeing how worried you are though, you might not want to try it, because it does involve flashing the P2 with modified firmware files.
That, sir, is true. Doesn't make it any less awesome, however.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:13 AM

Figured out that one last image format.

Here is a basic viewer application. Apoligies for the roughness. It'll improve.

This allows you to open Matrix, MySkin, and Cosmos .UCI files. From there you can view and export the images.
I have not seen all of the features of the P2 (Best Buy firmware and no Bluetooth phones or file transfer devices), and my eye for pixels isn't that good. It would be awesome if those of you who know more than I do can identify the images which have been mis-labeled, named "Unknown", or simply left as a number. Also, if you have any ideas about better organization, they would be appreciated as well.

Also, here are the default skins that came with my P2, for the heck of it.

NOTE: Requires Microsoft .NET Framework v1.1 or higher to run.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ICU.zip (19.6 KB, 70 views)

Old 01-14-2009, 01:25 PM

You made a seemingly user friendly interface, I do need to inquire a bit, would that be okay?

What is the compression ratio?

Comments and artists are symbols only?

How can I import images?

Cosmos, changing images on here, how would I go about doing this?

Could I change the size of some of these images? Would it be possible for me to change the play, stop, back, and forward buttons? And is this I can do, then would making the size of the image bigger cause a glitch on the p2, or would it simply be touchable where it is normally, or would the space I can touch get bigger if I make the image bigger?

You did a great job, congratulations I'm taking a look at it and would like those questions answered if you get the opportunity. You mentioned you will not be trying this on your p2, then, we can't see a tutorial from you?

Old 01-14-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
You made a seemingly user friendly interface, I do need to inquire a bit, would that be okay?

What is the compression ratio?
I, truthfully, have no idea why I threw that in there.
It's a comparison between how large the imagedata is, with the run-length encoding and reduced bit depth, and how large it would be (or was) as a 24bit bitmap.

Quote:
Comments and artists are symbols only?
Those fields work with UCIs made with EmoDio. I don't know what's up with the ones in the zip file. If you import those into EmoDio, however, you'll see that it shows the same garbage. Curious.

Quote:
How can I import images?
Not yet. This is just a viewer. The editor will come later, once I've got more figured out and the program gets more sophisticated.

Quote:
Cosmos, changing images on here, how would I go about doing this?
Looks like a headache, doesn't it?
That's where the user-friendly aspect will come in. Theoretically, all you should have to do for a cosmos skin is supply the editor with high-resolution images of the background, the scroll indicator, and all the icons, and it will automatically create the entire animation for you.

Quote:
Could I change the size of some of these images?
It's possible. Whether or not the outcome would be as expected if you could is another question.

Quote:
Would it be possible for me to change the play, stop, back, and forward buttons?
As far as I know, you can change the appearance of the play control buttons in the Video player, but not the audio player.

Quote:
And is this I can do, then would making the size of the image bigger cause a glitch on the p2, or would it simply be touchable where it is normally, or would the space I can touch get bigger if I make the image bigger?
There are three possible outcomes that I can think of:
1. It will glitch the P2
2. It will work, but the layout wouldn't look good because the top-left corner would still be in the same place
3. It won't work, and the image would be cropped and quite possibly look skewed
In any case, I don't believe it will increase the touchable area of the button.

Quote:
You did a great job, congratulations I'm taking a look at it and would like those questions answered if you get the opportunity.
Thank you. And don't mention it. It's good to have feedback.

Quote:
You mentioned you will not be trying this on your p2, then, we can't see a tutorial from you?
My goal is that in the end, the editor shouldn't need a tutorial. The interface should be straightforward and easy-to-use, doing most of the grunt work (scaling, animations, layout, and applying colors) for you. The output .UCI files should be produced ready to import into Emodio and transfer to the device without configuration or manual editing.
You provide the imagination, it handles the technical details.

I can start working on a mock-up of the editor UI.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:21 PM

From what I saw with the way it is looking right now as a mere image display, you hold a firm grasp on what user friendly is. Not really any questions on how to get around, merely questions on the scope of the p2 uci editor.

My gratitude for answering my questions. Seems you set a goal, when you release the p2 uci editor, you can bet I'll test it.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:31 PM

So do I

Old 01-15-2009, 11:44 AM

Now my editor has a simple GUI too. Any testers interested?

Old 01-15-2009, 04:03 PM

I am sure very interested ! I've tried your console application but couldn't use it because I don't know how to use it xD . Maybe with a GUI , it will be easier

Old 01-15-2009, 04:26 PM

Make your own thread joco. Pretty sure this thread is about cognito's editor, not joco's.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fejesjoco View Post
Now my editor has a simple GUI too. Any testers interested?
I tried it and I ( sucessfully , I think... ) changed the background of a theme that I found on the Net :

Extracted with Joco's editor and viewed with MrIncognito's editor

It's not very creative but at least , it work ! =D

Old 01-15-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Make your own thread joco. Pretty sure this thread is about cognito's editor, not joco's.
He's asking for a challenge

Tags
cosmos, editor, myskin, uci