android
Old 01-08-2009, 08:05 AM

Default My New Cowon D2

After a long wait through the holiday season and the shipment to arrive, it got here just a few days ago

So far I'm impressed with sound quality and battery life. I was hoping the flash game compatibility would be larger (and no I don't want to get a DS/PSP because I don't have enough pocket space)

A few people thought the D2 was a camera

Here is my break down of the good and the bad about the player in my opinion.

Good
  • UMS!!!!!
  • Great Sound Quality
  • Amazing Battery Life
  • Boots up in 5 seconds, even with SDHC card!
  • 16GB Internal Memory
  • SDHC expansion slot
  • SDHC integrates with main memory, Creative why can't you do this?
  • File and Folder browsing
  • FM Radio, FM Recording, Mic, Text viewer, Notepad, Flash Support, Picture viewing, and Cideo support is all a plus

Bad
  • Videos need to be downsized
  • Flash player doesn't play too many games
  • BUG: I couldn't delete any songs (something about not being able to delete from music menu?)
  • When player turns off, the position of the song is not remembered. Thus song starts from beginning. (Fix: main menu -> settings -> general -> check resume)

I'm going to separate these "bads" because they are mainly relating to in car usage.
  • Touch Screen (not bad feature, but dangerous for car usage )
  • No dedicated skip buttons (I even have the volume buttons skip to next songs, but that only works with player on hold)
  • Car USB charger puts the player into charging mode and cannot play music
  • Have to manually turn the player on every time I start the car, then have to manually go to Play menu and click play.
Now if Cowon makes the little update to the firmware to allow the player to Automatically turn on when and start playing music when it receives external power (not usb), then I will be a happy camper.

Other then that the player is pretty solid. I had my expectations a little higher, but typing this list out made me realize that it has a lot more things that I wanted then the little bad things.

Pictures:

Last edited by covertrussian; 01-09-2009 at 09:57 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-08-2009, 08:23 AM
Ultra Senior Member

To delete music, you need to go to folder mode>select and play a song>now delete to your hearts content. The D2 will NOT allow music file deletion while it's in mtp mode, only when in folder browser mode.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
To delete music, you need to go to folder mode>select and play a song>now delete to your hearts content. The D2 will NOT allow music file deletion while it's in mtp mode, only when in folder browser mode.
I'm using firmware 3.57, so MTP is history (a sad sad history that I want to forever forget about ).

Ah I see, that's kinda annoying to have to go through to to folder browsing to delete stuff. The menu should either be removed from Music Browser or fixed

Another thing that I noticed is, if your playing a song and go into say Video, Notepad, Flash, or some other menus, it will stop the song and then you have to start it from the beginning. It should pause the song instead, or remember where it left off when you come back to the Music Menu

I will try to submit these to the suggestions thread on iaudiophile.net

Old 01-08-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covertrussian View Post

I will try to submit these to the suggestions thread on iaudiophile.net
Although the sad part is, they have so much they need to fix bug-wise before adding new features.

I'm not against these updates, I'm just afraid that if they add these things in they'll break something else. Haha. I really hope Cowon hasn't ended their support and updates with the release of the O2 and S9..... don't leave us, Cowon!!!!

Old 01-08-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samueljesusfreak View Post
Although the sad part is, they have so much they need to fix bug-wise before adding new features.

I'm not against these updates, I'm just afraid that if they add these things in they'll break something else. Haha. I really hope Cowon hasn't ended their support and updates with the release of the O2 and S9..... don't leave us, Cowon!!!!
Oh true, so far the bugs haven't been too bad, so I can't really complain on that .

Old 01-08-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samueljesusfreak View Post

What bugs? I haven't run into any problems.

My Deviant Art page - they make great wallpapers

Old 01-09-2009, 06:55 AM

Quote:
When player turns off, the position of the song is not remembered. Thus song starts from beginning.
main menu -> settings -> general -> check resume

there you go , your music will resume from where it stopped

Last edited by ayush3090; 01-09-2009 at 07:09 AM.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorcorps View Post
What bugs? I haven't run into any problems.
It's just ogg sorting and very rare touchscreen twitches :P. But any touchscreen can experience that. They might not even be bugs. Just the way everything is tagged automatically, the Cowon doesn't read it like that .Haha.

AND, the Cowon makes my clip sound like DEATH after I use BBE Enhancements. I've shut them off and I'm running flat EQ because It's so different moving from the D2 to the Clip if I use BBE constantly.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayush3090 View Post
main menu -> settings -> general -> check resume

there you go , your music will resume from where it stopped
Wow . I swear I looked through the menus, just the wording on some items are engrish thus hard to understand. Probably doesn't help that English is not even my native language

Old 01-09-2009, 09:20 PM

Most of your problems is because you do not know how to use it yet. It can do all those things you have listed in bad. Keep in mind its not a video game player. If you wanted that get a PSP.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billrhea View Post
Most of your problems is because you do not know how to use it yet. It can do all those things you have listed in bad. Keep in mind its not a video game player. If you wanted that get a PSP.
Lol I really love how people tend to chime in and say because I don't know how to use it right. I'm not technology stupid...

I don't want a PSP, for the same reason I don't like having to carry my digital camera. If I was a girl and could carry purse with me all the time, maybe it would be a different story. I drive a manual car, having all that stuff in my pock then I cannot move my foot to shift without breaking something, or to even fit in the seat. My car doesn't have enough places to just put stuff away.

Anyway back to the topic, most of the problems come with the whole not being able to change songs easily. Right now everytime I drive, I have to put the player off hold, wait to load, press the M key, put it on hold, press the M key and then it starts playing, and after that it still stays on hold and I can switch songs no problem. I do a lot of driving, and most places in my city are pretty close by, you drive 5 minutes tops for someplace that you go into for about 1-8 hours. In short trips I just leave the player playing haha.

So overal player great, but not so great for car usage

Old 01-10-2009, 07:28 PM

You know that you can set the + and - keys to change the songs? That might be of help to you . I do wish that the M key way either higher or lower. It is hard to use while driving because of that. Once you get used to the touch screen you will be able to use it easy while driving and without looking. Again sorry if I came off wrong.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billrhea View Post
You know that you can set the + and - keys to change the songs? That might be of help to you . I do wish that the M key way either higher or lower. It is hard to use while driving because of that. Once you get used to the touch screen you will be able to use it easy while driving and without looking. Again sorry if I came off wrong.
No problem, sorry from me

I set the + and - buttons to be next and previous, but they only work if the player is on hold

I did get past the whole player not being able to play all flash games

Old 01-10-2009, 08:09 PM

You really should read the manual, or some more threads here on ABi and on iAudiophile...

Old 01-10-2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
You really should read the manual, or some more threads here on ABi and on iAudiophile...
Hehe I have looked over that stuff, it is just set up a bit different then what I am used to in players. Reason I posted the volume button thread was because I didn't even own the player. Quiet honestly I don't think many people scout the web to find the manual, then go out and buy the player.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:38 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
The manual is not so hot.

A D2 Wiki manual would be hawt! Illustrations, hints and tips, software, and so forth would go a long way to making the D2 functionality more available to everyone without having to go through a long learning cycle and lots and lots of reading and research in the forums.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:42 AM

Cool

Quote:
I don't think many people scout the web to find the manual, then go out and buy the player.
Maybe not - but I did just that ... as well as reading loads of reviews and a lot from the forums.

I just bought a 4Gb D2 on eBay for $75 - it should be here at the end of the week.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:54 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Nice find!!!! And welcome to ABI asmiller-ke6seh!!!

Old 01-11-2009, 06:39 AM

Wait, does the D2 come with a mains charger?

Old 01-11-2009, 10:04 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammar View Post
Wait, does the D2 come with a mains charger?
Yes, it does, with universal adapters for different voltages and plug types.