android
Old 01-07-2009, 06:18 PM

Default Tag and album art annoyances with E100

Hello folks.

Just bought an 8GB E100 over the holidays and I've run into a couple annoyances that I'm hoping you might be able to help out with.

1. The E100 doesn't want to recognize the tags for the flac files that transer to the device. For example, I tranfered the album Post by Bjork (ripped by dbpoweramp, which does a wonderfull job of tagging ripped files), but when I look under the Music section, the album is filed under Unknown Artist and Unknown Album. Why is this?

However, if I use the .ogg files (converted using dbpowramp), the album tags show up just fine.

1.2 Sometimes, the E100 will recognize the tags of a couple songs in the album, but not all of them. Again using Post as an example, it'll show the song "Army of Me" as by Bjork and on the album Post, but only that song. The rest of the songs are filed under Unknown Artist and Unknown Album. The whole CD was ripped in one go. What's the problem here?

2. The E100, when it does recognize an album's tags, will arrange the songs in no particular order--not using the track number, not alphabetically, just random. I can go in and manually move things around in the iriver Plus 3 software, but that shouldn't be a step I should have to take. What's the problem here?

3. Album art shows up on some albums, but not others. Is this an embedded in the tag thing? Do I need to go and re-tag every file again and embed the "folder.jpg" that's in each album file with the individual tag?

For the record, I've updated to the latest firmware (1.13...I think). I've tried the "Rebuild Library" function in the Settings section of the E100. I've tried retagging the files using MP3Tag (as suggested in another thread).

Finally, is there an official Iriver forum, or a place where one can ask questions that the people who make Iriver might answer? Or do I just have to take questions directly to customer support with them? And are they very good at replying to support questions?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-07-2009, 07:42 PM

1) Can't help you here. I'd guess it's the FLAC files themselves.

1.2) ??? What software did you use to rip it?

2) I know some irivers do first on, first displayed. Is that what is happening here?

3) Probably corrupted tags.

Another great iriver site is misticriver.net . It has a huge iriver user base (bigger then this site, although ABi is still great!) and you're more likely to get better answers than mine there

Relyt

Old 01-07-2009, 11:26 PM

Thanks for your quick reply. Though the answers to my question are extremely disappointing (no offence to you, personally).

I'll give misticriver.net a try.

I'm trying to keep an open mind about this player, but the more I fiddle with it and the iriver Plus 3 software, the more I'm starting to think that I bought a dud (2 duds actually, since my wife and I bought the same one). My fault, however, for not doing enough research. Hopefully things will work out.

By the way, I used dbpoweramp to rip and tag my CDs. Check it out, it's a rather good program, using Perfect Meta for supplying tags for your music.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:29 AM

Hey. I just posted a tutorial on how to fix the tags: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=38609 This may help you.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:40 PM

Thanks for that workaround, headbang. I'll give it a try this afternoon when I get back home and let you know how it goes.

I'm with ya, though, on your thoughts on the beast. This will be my last (and only) iriver. I'm kicking myself for not picking up the Cowon mp3 player that was at the store and around the same price as this dud.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdowns View Post
Thanks for that workaround, headbang. I'll give it a try this afternoon when I get back home and let you know how it goes.

I'm with ya, though, on your thoughts on the beast. This will be my last (and only) iriver. I'm kicking myself for not picking up the Cowon mp3 player that was at the store and around the same price as this dud.
Unfortunately the e100 is probably one of the worst irivers to date . What cowon was about the same price?

Old 01-09-2009, 08:30 PM

It was the iAudio 7.

I live in Japan, so they were both around 15000 yen or so (I think it was less), which with the exchange rate is well above the US$59 price I've been seeing posted on these boards. Double kicking myself!

Tags
album art, e100, tag