android
Old 01-07-2009, 06:02 PM

Default Reading a Text file?

I was wondering if anybody knew of a way to read text files on the XFi 32g player?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-07-2009, 06:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Welcome Norik. From the Zen FAQ:

Quote:
How to view documents on the Zen:

.Doc to .JPG
  1. Bring up the document you want in Microsoft Word.
  2. Zoom in or out so that the whole document can be seen on the screen without scrolling up or down.
  3. Find the "Print Screen" key on your keyboard. On a standard key board it should be one of 9 keys above the arrow keys.
  4. Push the Print Screen key. Nothing will happen, so don't think it didn't work.
  5. Pull up Paint in another window.
  6. In Paint Go to Edit > Paste. A picture of the whole screen and your document will come up.
  7. Crop out what you don't want and leave just the document using the "select" tool.
  8. Save it as whatever you want.
  9. To make the picture your desktop wallpaper, right click on the desktop and choose "Personalize" or "Properties". Choose Desktop Background > Browse > The document that you just saved in Paint.
You can also use ZamZar to convert files. I have used it get PDF files into JPG files for my Zen. Just convert the PDF file to PNG. Once you get the PDF file converted to a PNG file, open the PNG file in Paint and do a Save As to JPG.

Zen FAQ

Old 01-07-2009, 06:52 PM

I haven't tried this yet but

The Zen X-Fi can store contact info imported from Outlook Express. Outlook Express allows for a comment section for a contact where any text you like can be stored. Presumably if you pasted a text file into the comment section and imported onto the Zen you'd be able to read the text by viewing the contact(?)

Old 01-08-2009, 12:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes, you can. Good tip Zenon. I believe you may be able to do the same with the Task section. Not sure if they would be ideal for text longer than a sentence or two.... or if they would get truncated.

Zen FAQ

Old 01-08-2009, 03:23 PM

Alright I've tested it on an 8GB X-Fi, it can store text entered in the notes/comment section of a contact(vcard) but there is a severe limit. Only the first 45 words(256 characters are stored). So unfortunately that's probably too limiting for most people. Shame as I was thinking of putting the text to my language audio tapes onto the player so that I can view the spelling and listen at the same time.

The text is readible, very clear infact, but looks like conversion to jpg is the best way forward for now.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks for verifying Zenon. I figured they would get truncated.

Zen FAQ

Old 01-08-2009, 05:09 PM

Indeed but after only 256 chars! Stingy.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You can always paste 256 characters in as many contacts you need to hold all of your text. The Tasks are probably truncated at the same amount. It's really not hard to turn your docs into jpgs. It works good and it very readable.

Zen FAQ

Old 03-31-2009, 07:21 AM

Jpg to text is possible as well, check this thread out.

Also there is a free software out there to convert text to jpg, with a few more customizations you can make, check it out here.