Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen X-Fi

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-07-2009, 01:26 AM
Unhappy Pc not detecting mtp devices (creative zen x-fi)

Hey people,

This is my first post ever, anywhere, so please be gentle as I'm sure I'll break some cardinal forum rule somewhere along the line

Having recently purchased a new 16gb Creative Zen X-Fi MP3 player, and getting over my initial "my-god-it's-so-pretty-no-more-listening-to-idiot-schoolkids'-mind-numbing-chatter-on-the-bus-for-me" period of joy, I'm this close to throwing my shoe at the closest computer.

After reformatting my computer several months ago, a little while after, I noticed my computer recognizing, but not being able to install, MTP devices. This first occurred one day when I plugged my Sony Ericsson phone into the dock beside my bed. But I thought, no matter, I have no trashy nights coming up in the near future so no need to worry about not being able to back up my phone - I'd deal with it later.

However this morning when my Creative MP3 player arrived, having owned Creative MP3 players before, I was anxious to install the software, plug it in and whip some tracks onto it before I left for work.

Sure enough, when plugging it in, it started charging, and in the bottom right hand corner of my screen a speech bubble came up saying it had found new hardware.... a Creative Zen X-Fi MP3 Player to be precise. Then it proceeded to tell me in the little speech bubble that it had also found an MTP device. My heart sank. Sure enough, just like my phone, the wizard opened up and asked me if I wanted to connect to the web to try to install this MTP device, I clicked yes, it said unable to install MTP device - file not found.

This makes me very sad.

So all day today I've been scouring the net to try to find out a way to manually do something, install a file, backdate my Media Player (I'm a little computer literate and picked up from forums that apparently WMP has something to do with Media Transfer Protocol), or reinstall windows (which i REALLY don't want to have to do) to fix this problem.

My PC has been able to install MTP devices before, and I'm at a loss as to why it's stopped now. If it helps I'm running WinXP SP3, and I'm always anal about the automatic updates and virus protection, the PC isn't a piece of crap, quad core, 4gb ram etc etc.

I've had a little look on the net when my phone wouldn't install, to no avail. I've been reading forum after forum all day, endured a pointless call to Microsoft that ultimately ended in them trying to pass the buck to my "3rd party peripherals" (don't you love when they do that?), and just finding it difficult to keep a smile on my face in the meantime.

Any help from you lot out in forumland would be muchly appreciated, and if you need any other info to help you help me in my quest for a musical bus ride just ask and I shall provide.

Thanks guys! Peace.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

detect, device, install, mtp, unable