android
Old 01-06-2009, 12:34 PM

Default Large capacity audio player needed

I am looking for an mp3 player with 60+ gb (80-120gb preferably) of storage space. I have looked at the Zune and iPod classic as options, but there are problems with both as the Zune isn't officially available in India(though I could probably get my hands on one somehow) and the iPod has very average sound apart from other very obvious flaws. Other than these two I really have no idea.

The player should sound great(anything above iPod really, but close to the Sony A728 would be nice) and need not have a very large screen or a screen that one can watch good quality video on, as I wont be doing that.

Audiobook support is a great bonus, as is the ability to play OGG. I should also be able to drag and drop files into the player.

I'm not sure what I'm looking for exists, but any reccomendations would be greatly appreciated!

Otherwise, I might just have to settle for the ipod!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-06-2009, 12:39 PM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

Cowon A3 is about the only thing that fit those criteria, maybe some new archos players but not sure about SQ on those

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...-a3-review.php
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...s-5-review.php

Old 01-06-2009, 01:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Imo it is not worth getting a 60 gig hard drive based player, as you could get a 16 gig Cowon D2 and a 32 gig SDHC card for it, and have 48 gigs of storage without having to deal with the negative aspects of a hard drive. Imo if you really do want to consider getting a hard drive based player, then get one that is at least 120 gigs. The Zune hard drive based players are very popular. The Archos players seem like they are mostly geared towards video rather than audio. Have you ever owned a hard drive based based player? Do you know that they are much more fragile and vulnerable to damage from shock or vibration than a flash memory based player? I would not want to buy a hard drive based player.

Last edited by JK98; 01-07-2009 at 03:33 PM.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
Imo it is not worth getting a 60 gig hard drive based player, as you could get a 16 gig Cowon D2 and a 32 gig SDHC card for it, and have 48 gigs of storage without having to deal with the negative aspects of a hard drive. Imo if you really do want to consider getting a hard drive based player, then get one that is at least 120 gigs. The Zune hard drive based players are very popular. The Archos players seem like they are mostly geared towards video rather than audio. Have you ever owned a hard drive based based player? Do you that they are much more fragile and vulnerable to damage from shock or vibration than a flash memory based player? I would not want to buy a hard drive based player.

I bet if you take good care of your player you wouldn't have to worry about that.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

"I bet if you take good care of your player you wouldn't have to worry about that."

Just dropping a hard drive based player once while it is playing might be enough to break the hard drive. One could always try to be careful, however it is still possible to drop a player.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
"I bet if you take good care of your player you wouldn't have to worry about that."

Just dropping a hard drive based player once while it is playing might be enough to break the hard drive. One could always try to be careful, however it is still possible to drop a player.
My sister has dropped her unmentionable HDD player several times over the 3 years she's had it, and it still seems to work fine. I wouldn't recommend jumping up and down on it, but adding a silicone skin would be probably be enough protection, with judicious care taken.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:56 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
I've owned several hard drive based players and I have never had a problem with any of them. Hard drives in media players are more reliable than what is anticipated and if they are taken care of they will provide many hours of good use. I believe the only time a hard drive could fritz out when dropped is when it is queuing for music. This is when the armature is in movement and is not in the parked position.

@ OP: FWIW I second the D2 as an excellent choice.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:05 AM
Contributing Editor

I agree. Flash players are def more stable. But i have not had any problems with my hdd players. I HAD an ipod 30gb for 3 years. That thing has been dropped, shaken, tossed, you name it, and it still plays fine(use it in my car). I like flash, but there is a serious size advantage to hdd, and obviously with people buying so many hdd players, must not be too bad reliability wise.

If your looking for SQ, go with the Zune if you can get it. It has lots of nice features, scratch resistant glass screen, and many others. Then I would say the Cowon A3. If you can get over the joystick, the rest of it is a great device. Lastly I will throw the Archos 5 out there. It is a nice player. Battery life is ok. Really easy to use. SQ is not as good, but you shouldnt be too disappointed. Hopefully that helps.

Having an ipod for a couple of years, and now finally comparing the products, I would never get one ever again (unless they improved the SQ on the touch dramatically). The normal ipods are very simple plain jane devices. You can get many more features on other players out there for the same price or less.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:32 AM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've decided I'm gonna get me a Sony a728 to tide me over til Microsoft finally releases the Zune in India. I'd love to get the a729 for the extra 8 gig, but the darned thing isn't available here either.

Quick question, any recommendations for a 16 gig player with fab sound?

Thanks again!

Old 01-08-2009, 12:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

"Quick question, any recommendations for a 16 gig player with fab sound? "

Many here will probably recommend the Cowon D2. It might not be available in India, or might be expensive. The Sandisk Sansa Fuze is good and cheap. In the US the 8 gig is only around $85. It has a micro SDHC card slot. In the US an 8 gig micro SDHC card is only around $20, while a 16 gig card is around $55. I have no idea about prices in India for these.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:45 PM

I've just ordered my 16 gig S9!

Superb sound (my main concern), and readily available in India!

Old 01-10-2009, 11:43 AM
Contributing Editor

youll be very happy with that

Old 01-10-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynic View Post
I've just ordered my 16 gig S9!

Superb sound (my main concern), and readily available in India!
Congrats man, I think your gonna be an EXTREMELY happy user!

Tags
hdd, large capacity