android
Old 03-04-2007, 02:04 PM

i think you have to format it and then try it again

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-04-2007, 04:19 PM

but, I can't access to it with Windows because it is not detected.
I think that the MP3 player is between the UMS mode and the MTP mode.
Because the MTP firmware has begun to install (so the file system of the memory may be in the file system of the MTP protocol), but the protocol itself hasn't been installed, because I have to put again the firmware files on the player .... but I can't access to it on Windows. Of course, I'm reasonning as if the reverse process works like the "changing process" (to pass to UMS mode), which consists of : (It is only some suppositions)
- Put the UMS firmware so the player change its (kind of) file system
- The player is detected on Windows as a simple usb key, but it has to be formatted.
- We put again the UMS firmware files so the player finishes the installation of the UMS protocol itself.

I'm wondering if there would be a keys combinations or another way to reset the player with the initial firmware ...

Old 03-07-2007, 02:50 PM

Did you try hitting the reset button behind the screen? What does your screen look like when it first goes on? White?

Old 03-07-2007, 02:55 PM

Yes, I tried (for 30 seconds), but I get the same message and the screen is black (it was white when the UMS firmware was partially installed)

Old 03-07-2007, 06:35 PM

nh that still remains as the most anoying part of the player

Old 03-09-2007, 04:32 AM

I heard you might be able to access it via linux...dunno if it helps. You might be able to drag in the firmware if you have access to a linux box.

If all else fails, try using your warranty...I think it's for 1 year.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:07 PM

I have Ubuntu installed on my computer but I'm not an expert. I've already tried to mount my player but it seems it is not detected. Do you know how I can mount it ? ( I don't know the type of the file system and which name of device I have to use in the command ).

Old 03-16-2007, 01:57 PM

Default Hello Matheus

I've got the same problem with my K5
Could you find a solution yet?
Thanks Uli

Old 03-16-2007, 05:31 PM

Hi,

I could find any solution ... So I have sent it to samsung. It seems that the warrantly covers this problem. Someone in this topic has said that he reverted his player to MTP but he doesn't answer ...

I f*** MS with his MTP protocol .... UMS Powaaa !

Old 03-16-2007, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matheus View Post
Hi,

I could find any solution ... So I have sent it to samsung. It seems that the warrantly covers this problem. Someone in this topic has said that he reverted his player to MTP but he doesn't answer ...

Did you try switching the USB port that it's connected to?

Old 03-16-2007, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matheus View Post
Hi,

Remember, MTP wasn't made for end user convenience, it was made to support DRM infected files,
ie. JANUS "Never Plays for Sure".

Old 03-18-2007, 08:56 AM

The only problem i have with the player is it fades in and out each track ruins listing to mixes

Old 03-18-2007, 09:49 PM

mtp is a bullsh*t solution for audio-transfer..DRM was not made 2 curb piracy..but 2 actually sell music locked mp3 devices so no one would change loyalties in the future..but the reason the screen goes white is because of a curruption in the firmware update...instead of downloading the firmware off samsung.com..got to samsung.co.uk...samsung.com has a curropt firmware..i had the same white screen of death..Please readers do not download firmwares from SAMSUNG.COM

Old 03-18-2007, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohiaprateek View Post
mtp is a bullsh*t solution for audio-transfer..DRM was not made 2 curb piracy..but 2 actually sell music locked mp3 devices so no one would change loyalties in the future..
Right you are, as evidenced by the fact that tunes purchased at Microsoft's (PlaysforSure) MSN Music store won't transfer and play on Microsoft's Zune.

Check out this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6120272.stm

Old 03-20-2007, 07:57 AM

Default data folder

Hey guys,
I have an issue with my k5, had it for 5 months and i have to reset it all the time.
Sometimes it just wont even turn on, so i have to reset it to turn it on, i assume its probably an issue with the firmware or maybe its crapped itself when i got it.
Anyways, i downloaded the 1.05 firmware and i open the k5 up on my comp and i have no data folder ?
So my question is do i just chuck the firmware files into the root, or do i creat a data folder and chuck them in there ?
included a picture to show you what i mean.

Old 03-20-2007, 06:25 PM

Try make a data folder and put it in there.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:31 PM

I just dont want to brick my k5 if its not the way to do it.
Im a little confused with it, everything i have read says there should already be a data folder there :/
Perhaps ill wait for confirmation if anyone else has done it like this.

Edit.
LOL i phoned samsung tech support, they basically told me that they don't like home users doing their own firmware updates, i said so why do you put firmwares on your sites then ?
"samsung:thats for users that encounter bugs"
"me: i have a bug, i have to reset my k5 all the time, cant you tell me just whether i have to make the data folder so i can upgrade it by myself ?"
"samsung: no we cant tell you that, you have to send it to our service center and they will do it for you there."
"me: yer thanks."
They also said that the firmware updates for the k5 never have anything else in them no extra functions or displays etc, just bug fixes.

Last edited by RaRe; 03-20-2007 at 09:04 PM. Reason: update

Old 04-03-2007, 05:19 PM

This firmware is a dream come true! with half my stuff untagged, I HAVE to rely on folder/filename sorting, and this is totally what I needed! Thank you!

I got the white screen error when i put the files in the DATA directory, but i couldn't put the files in the root. BUT- when i plugged the device back on the PC, it was now given a drive letter- where now i could right-click and reformat the device completely to a blank box. I put the firmware files in again and unplugged, and everything was successful.

Last edited by Cammiluna; 04-03-2007 at 05:38 PM.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:00 AM

Quote:
I just dont want to brick my k5 if its not the way to do it.
Im a little confused with it, everything i have read says there should already be a data folder there :/
Perhaps ill wait for confirmation if anyone else has done it like this.

Edit.
LOL i phoned samsung tech support, they basically told me that they don't like home users doing their own firmware updates, i said so why do you put firmwares on your sites then ?
"samsung:thats for users that encounter bugs"
"me: i have a bug, i have to reset my k5 all the time, cant you tell me just whether i have to make the data folder so i can upgrade it by myself ?"
"samsung: no we cant tell you that, you have to send it to our service center and they will do it for you there."
"me: yer thanks."
They also said that the firmware updates for the k5 never have anything else in them no extra functions or displays etc, just bug fixes.
In regards to your call to Samsung RaRe, they told me the same thing. You should have also told them that in the FAQs it explains the benefits of upgrading the firmware and how to do it. Should escalate the issue to ACCC, then see what they say.
Most electronic manufactures who provide firmware updates don't have a problem with customers upgrading their firmware, as long as you following their instructions.

Old 04-04-2007, 02:40 AM

No data folder required...But download the firmware from samsung.Co.Uk...Samsung.Com has a corrupt firmware