android
Old 01-05-2009, 08:02 PM

Default Anyone happy with LPlayer?

I always wanted an iriver player and grabbed a 4gb LPlayer after seeing it on sale. Not much discussion on it here, so I'm wondering if I made a good choice?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-12-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo-urns View Post
I always wanted an iriver player and grabbed a 4gb LPlayer after seeing it on sale. Not much discussion on it here, so I'm wondering if I made a good choice?
I love mine. The construction and material quality is top notch and the design is perfect. It plays music with excellent sound quality and plays FLAC as well as OGG. I'm thrilled to have mine.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:42 PM

Thanks for the response! I just got mine today, and I'm also very happy with it. Tell me, do you use the included software for video conversion or do you use another program? I tried the video converter, but it gives me an error message.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:51 PM

I use a 3rd party converter, FLV to AVI converter from a company that the web address has been blocked due to hacking. But there are a great number of converters available to use. The main thing is using AVI.

Try using this one:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_jetaudio/

Old 01-30-2009, 03:51 PM

I made an account just to download the .pla converter which I couldn't get working, but I might as well comment on this.

I honestly can't say I'm completely satisfied with the iriver Lplayer. I don't even think I would recommend it.

I've been using a 5G iPod (60GB) for almost 3 years now and with the Lplayer, I'm really enjoying the small form factor. The fade-in and out is a nice touch too.

However, there are many problems with this player. Besides making playlists (which I just used the supplied program to make), it throttles when scrolling through it on the player. Every 11 songs it happens. It will freeze for about 5-10 seconds. Only on playlists though.

Changing tracks on shuffle is also sluggish. It takes about 3-5 seconds, sometimes much longer when backlight is turned on again. This really doesn't help because the controls can be unresponsive.

The quality on the album art is poor, but that's just a minor nitpick. Lastly, it is impossible to see the display outside during the day when set on low. Medium is bearable as long as it's not sunny outside.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:47 PM

I have something to add to my comments about my new lplayer.

At first I was all razzle dazzled with the nice form factor, clean minimalistic interface and abundance of features. After much use however, some negative aspects have crept their way into my everyday use that has hindered my enjoyment of this product.

First the interface. While it looks clean it can be sluggish. Although I would attribute this to the fact that a button has to be held for a second to make a selection. Maybe this is to help avoid accidental presses. At first when you're making your way learning the interface you don't notice it, but after when you want to zoom through the menus and lists it would be nice to be able to disable this feature. I did notice that the radio station presets can be scrolled through as fast as you can click though.

Also, when you make selections in settings like EQ or scan speed, etc. it would be nice if it would go back one level or even to the playback screen after making a selection. Instead you have to make your selection, then manually back out of the submenus until you hit the playback screen. You could also hold the back button to go to main menu but then it's still a few button presses to get in to the now playing screen.

The three seconds you have to hold the power button to turn on is an eternity. If I have the lock on it's even more frustrating because you have to turn the player over, unlock then hold another three seconds just to endure the ten second start up.

For some reason video playback options keep setting themselves to repeat one video forever. And it turns the resume feature on after I disable it.

Sound quality is...boring. I have tried so hard to like it. The SRS enhancements are crap, and usually fatigue my ears after five minutes. Just useless. Normal and Rock settings are OK, but still totally fail to impress. What's worse is my Sure se210's strengths are never revealed. Sounds are flat and uninspired. In fact the $50 bass heavy phillips she9700's my wife has save this player somewhat, but still it doesn't truly shine.

FM recording: useless! I have these clicks while listening and in the recording that totally ruin the experience. Why bother recording that beautiful classical piece when it sounds like a metronome is ticking away in the background?

Battery life: Well I was expecting this from reviews. For some it may be bothersome but for a 4GB player you should be plugging it in often enough to switch content anyway. I listen to music 5-6 hours a day and about 1 hour of video and I've never had the battery die.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:51 PM

I think I'm giving this to my kid with an external speaker as a car trip cartoon player. Thinking of getting a Sansa clip for a no-nonsense, descent sounding player. Will miss the video feature though. Any other suggestions in the sub $100 range?

Old 02-01-2009, 11:05 PM

I thought it could have just been my player. All the reviews I read (even on Amazon) were rating the Lplayer as a great player. The form factor and aesthetic appeal is superb but there are too many flaws to disregard.

I agree the sound is boring. I would have used the word flat, but same thing. I have a pair of UE Super.fi 3 and those are pretty balanced earphones. I could have got the Clix 2 for like $10 more. I can't return it because I'm in Canada and I ordered these from the states. I'm pretty sure they don't even sell these in Canada.

I'm still going to continue using it though. I'll switch back to my iPod once I get bored. For a sub $100 player, I think a 4GB Creative Zen looks good.