android
Old 01-04-2009, 02:44 PM

Default samsung p3 or sony walkman touch?

as of right now, those are the two im trying to decide on, i've had nothing but good experience with sony, and have never tried samsung anything... i realize neither players are out yet, but they will be released at CES 2009. but i was just wondering your opinions on them...?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-05-2009, 07:20 PM

Wink my choice would be the sony walkman touch

My choice between these two MP3 players would have to be the Sony Walkman touch. Why? Because it packs all the features of the ever so popular iPod Touch, and adds a 3.3" OLED screen, hands down better sound quality, custom EQ, and the DRM-free Amazon MP3 store. Don't get me wrong, the Samsung YP-P3 looks like an awesome MP3 player, along with the YP-P2, but it's more of an audiophile type MP3 player. It has DNSe Eq enchancment, VibeWoofer, and a 7 band Custom Eq, compared to the iPod touche's sucky Eq presets. Bottom line, if you're main dealbreaker is going to be about sound quality, def go with the YP-P3. If you are mainly looking for a "All-in-one" MP3 player that can handle WiFi, and many internet driven features, go with the Sony Walkman Touch. So for me that currently owns a 16gb iPod touch 2g, I have adapted to the WiFi features and the games of the iPod Touch. Therefore the P3, is not really intersting to me. Just the thought of having a iPod Touch-like MP3 player with killer sound quality, and the user friendliness of a Sony, just makes me want Sony to release this interesting product. Oh I almost forgot. The Touch Walkman will only be released in 16gb and 32gb (a rumor, not coming from me). And the P3 will be in 4, 8, 16, and 32gb, both MP3 players planned to be released at CES 2009 in Las Vegas. Well hope I helped you, and I do really hope Sony and Samsung release these two fantastic Players!

-Milo-

Old 01-05-2009, 08:24 PM

last I heard they weren't releasing the Walkman Touch at CES 2009.. only announcing and showing a (hopefully) working prototype

I think I'd go with the Walkman Touch cuz of the wifi youtube feature. That's always a good thing in my book. The P3 is not bad though and has the bluetooth cellphone thing but I would never remember to turn them both on (and would never just leave them on all the time.. waste of battery)

Current player: Sansa Clip 4GB (as a temporary and workout player)
Future PMP: looks like I'll never get one cuz I'll never be satisfied.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:28 PM

Mf1232,
It's a little too early to tell what any un-announced Sony Touchscreen player, might or might not have in the way of features/SQ/usability etc. etc. etc. It's sheer speculation at this point and makes it impossible to compare to anything now (or presently to be) on the market for sale.

I might quibble just a bit with miloheat3's reply.. and Welcome to ABi, both of you..

milo, stated that the P3 is more of an "audiophile" player, which implies that any new Sony player would not sound as good.. I think most that own Sony players (I do not) have found them to be as good as or even better, when comparing with the P2 (haven't seen a P3 comparison to Sony yet, as the P3 is only available in limited areas.. as of right now). I own a P2 and I find the sound to be very decent (some disagree).. though I would not call it an audiophile player, I would call it a player with acceptable SQ and I assume the P3 to be about the same.

DNSe sound "enhancements" have limited usefulness IMO, it all depends on the headphones/earphones used.. though frankly I keep them turned off as I as I find the processed sound of DNSe to be less than acceptable.. Perhaps the newest iteration of DNSe on the P3 will be improved, we just don't know at this point. No one knows what sizes the presumed Sony player will have, I would guess up to 16GB.. with a 32GB model as a possibility. Same goes for the Samsung.. and with Samsung you never know where the models will be released and just when...

I am very fond of my P2 and may well pick up a P3, but I certainly will be considering other players that cross my radar as alternatives. One thing is definite, the P3 is ready to ship.. the Sony is not... that may or may not make any difference to your plans.. waiting can be torture..

Last edited by Utew; 01-05-2009 at 08:35 PM.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

All that I'll add to this convo, which echo's most other opinions, is to wait and see if the new P3 OR Walkman Touch are right for you. It's the same w/the S9, since all have a unique flavor that their gonna' bring to the table.

Best option: Just wait till the players you'd like to compare are all available, then get the 1 w/the most desirable features for YOU!!!!

Old 01-06-2009, 06:06 PM

that's what I'M doing!

Current player: Sansa Clip 4GB (as a temporary and workout player)
Future PMP: looks like I'll never get one cuz I'll never be satisfied.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:03 PM

Personally i'm already sold on the Sony. The tactile buttons are really a huge plus for me - why would you want to risk taking out your expensive player and dropping it, or have someone see it and attempt to mug it from you when you could just discretely control it from your pocket?

Plus it has touch controls and wifi with web browser (i think) and youtube video watcher, so it's perfect for whether you're in a hurry or just casually using it at home.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeghead View Post
Personally i'm already sold on the Sony. The tactile buttons are really a huge plus for me - why would you want to risk taking out your expensive player and dropping it, or have someone see it and attempt to mug it from you when you could just discretely control it from your pocket?

Plus it has touch controls and wifi with web browser (i think) and youtube video watcher, so it's perfect for whether you're in a hurry or just casually using it at home.
i think the sony touch thing will be priced very high though

Old 01-10-2009, 01:07 PM

I Am also between Sony touch vs Samsung P3 vs Cowon S9

I already own Ipod touch , Samsung K5 , Samsung P2 , Sony A828 and a (iphone-like) HTC HD blackstone

And yea you guessed it i plan to get a new Mp3 player in 2009

I am confused Samsung P3 is not much of a improvement over P2 except for the build quality , actualy i cant find much that P3 has that P2 dont

Sony Touch look very intressing but i fear i will be disapointed with the Volume level since my A828 sound like the volume is cripled (im in europe)
and the bluetooth suport of sony was disapointing (to weak signal) compared to Samsung.

yea soundwise probaly Sony is best but that dont help me much if the volume is as low as Other Sony players (maybe i should buy Sony touch from Usa or asia instead? hence i get louder volume)

Still Sony touch would give me something "Different" from wht i already have.

For wifi i dont care i have my HTC HD 3G phone for internet
and if i want wifi i have ipod touch
For games the same i have ipod touch

I think i find Cowon S9 the most intressing since is the only one looking realy different

I am sure that Cowon dont criple the sound volume in Europe (Since is so smale company in europe they dont mind to do that)
but how is the Bluetooth signal on Cowon is it good ?

One thing that will help me decide is what Players be on sales in my local shop here.

Cowon will be nowhere to see unless i decide import it
Sony will arive in shops but will probaly not arive until Late summer or autumn here

Samsung P3 will probaly arive by spring 2009

Since i'm not in a hurry to buy and all my Daps and phone are working perfectly i can spend some months thinking what to get.

Here is the PRO and CONs i found so far

Samsung P3:
Pro - avaible everywere, Loud volume, Stable bluetooth signal, smale
Cons- look just like a Upgraded P2 , probaly Crappy firmware

Sony touch:
Pro - Noise canceling, Great sound , great earbuds, First Touch from sony
Cons - Not loud volume ? (in europe) , weak bluetooth signal?, expensive

Cowon S9
Pro - The most unique looking, wonderful looking menus, great sound
Cons - Not easy to find need import, expensive, curved background not lay flat on table

to be honest all players are good but questions is what to get for a dude like me that already have players like ipod touch , P2 ,Sony A828 and Htc hd.

Needless to say i am a Great fan of Bluetooth headphones and design is very important for me but also good sound.
and i want a player that dont break down after few months

Maybe i should think about using some other Files suport than just MP3 files, i think most of the players i own now
only suport Mp3 audio files. maybe i should go for flac player or something next ?

So SONY if you read this Don't criple the sound on Sony touch in europe make it as loud as Usa and asia

Old 01-10-2009, 03:23 PM

Hmm...I got my A818 in Europe (UK) and the maximum I ever need put the volume is around 15, and that's in a busy gym when I like the music to be pumping in my ears. The maximum is like 30, so I wouldn't exactly call that crippled sound...

Old 01-11-2009, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeghead View Post
Hmm...I got my A818 in Europe (UK) and the maximum I ever need put the volume is around 15, and that's in a busy gym when I like the music to be pumping in my ears. The maximum is like 30, so I wouldn't exactly call that crippled sound...
Maybe Sony UK no longer cripple the sound or maybe you was lucky to get some unit that came in through Usa/Japan
where sony forgot to cripple the unit.

It has long been known sound on many mp3 and walkmans in Europe is crippled because of a French regulation.
it might be some Mp3 players made for the french marked is also sold in other countries.

My Samsung P2/K5 has clearly a much louder volume
also early in the 2000s when sony did a lot of MD walkmans they crippled the sound output sometime to half of the volume.

READ THIS:
"Unless you import a new model from outside Europe, you cannot legitimately purchase any Sony Walkman player with higher than 1.5mW in Europe. This is due to European Community laws (drafted primarily by France) prohibiting the maximum SPL from exceeding 100dBA with the stock earbuds."

This was in 2005 and i doubt much has changed
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/so...rchase-114712/

Now The good news is the Player if crippled it cannot be hardware but Software
this means i Can HACK the A828 to get louder volume
The bad news is how to do that and find someone that done that with sucess

Last edited by Coolvibes; 01-11-2009 at 06:29 AM.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:40 AM

I would be kind of on the fence for this one myself. It's Samsung vs. Sony for me.

Fortunately...I won't be in the market for a touch-screen player for at least another year. I'll be definitely looking into buying a recording capable mp3 player/DAP that can do this in additional to marking calendars and God willing...download cool apps online from a non-Apple source....>.< I would be willing to pay the hefty price tag ($300 anyone?) if there were an online website where I could download apps. Free or paid, name the price!

But if it's any consolation to Apple lovers, there may soon be a market for academic/study applications. X_X

EDIT: Does Samsung design the OS for these mp3 players? As DAPs such as future generation YP=P(X) get more sophisticated, I wonder whether they'll have to turn to the likes of Google, Red Hat, or Microsoft () for help and ideas. I'm no Microsoft hater, but I'd rather that my DAP run on an open-source platform.

Tags
p3, samsung, sony, touch, walkman