android
Old 07-14-2009, 02:23 AM

Dictionary Like wedict

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-19-2009, 01:22 PM

please save me from my past sins in purchasing AAC from iTunes store. I have a significant amount of music in this format and I would prefer not having to degrade the music quality even more by converting it especially since I have a ton of it in 128kbs.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettocoolie View Post
please save me from my past sins in purchasing AAC from iTunes store. I have a significant amount of music in this format and I would prefer not having to degrade the music quality even more by converting it especially since I have a ton of it in 128kbs.
The day you can use protected AAC files on an S9 would be the day hell freezes over. I really don't see Apple going for that. lol

Old 07-29-2009, 08:07 AM

Default A More Functional Calculator

In the Utilities > Calculator, include memory functions: mc, m+, m-, mr.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:50 PM

Wow... In this entire thread, only one mention of crossfade?

It seems many of your wishlist suggestions are cosmetic or functional but have nothing to do with enjoyment of the audio. Coming from a long, mostly happy relationship with a Rio Karma, I can tell you that crossfade is seriously cool and it really keeps the music flowing, especially when you desire random tunage (and it kills at parties!). Now that they've incorporated gapless (knock that off many a wishlist) I only hope they go the next step and make an adjustable crossfade available.

If they did that, and also incorporated dynamic playlists with the ability to insert or delete tracks/albums/artists on the fly and the ability to also save those playlists, they will have surpassed the Rio Karma, arguably the greatest DAP of all time.

The Karma was one sweet ride. After five years, two hard drives and a new battery, it was time to move on. If the original IBM/Hitachi hard drives in the Karma didn't have an alarming failure rate (which was no fault of Rio), I believe Rio would not only still exist, but they likely would have been very successful going forward and by now would have made many excellent sucessors to the Karma, buliding on its audiophile features and sound quality. For it was the failure rate of the Karma (by those damn 1st gen 1.8" hdds) that killed Rio. Truly a shame.

Last edited by jayteee; 07-30-2009 at 12:55 AM.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:36 PM

Oh, one more thing... I also wish I could display more of the tag info of the tunes, namely the year and comment fields. It seems a waste that on the playback screen it will display the current equalizer preset (like I know that, I set it) and not the additional tag fields.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:40 AM

I have a few ideas to improve the s9

- when you listen to music and turn the s9 off, the player shuld remind the last played song and position so that i can continue to listen the last song at the last position. i know that the player reminds it but i have to start playback manually... it should play automaticly when i turn hthe s9 on.

- font size in menus should be a bit larger - i know theres the zoom slider - but this one i dont have into the music player screen.

- when u tunr the s9 sideways u can see all the embedded cover images for any album on the player, it would be great to have options to set the sort order. default is sort by album name and thats totally bullshit because albums of the same artist are disarranged and totaly chaos-organized...

- in file browser mode if u zoomed the font size a bit bigger and the file name is longer as the width of the screen, the file name should be displayed by scrolling so that u can see the complete file name without zoom out the font size.

- under system information it would be good to have a battery indicator like the disk space indicator with % value and maybe expected estimating playing time

- in music player - the quick track scrollbar - it would be better to have a scrollbar to scroll easier sideways through the tracks.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayteee View Post
Wow... In this entire thread, only one mention of crossfade?

It seems many of your wishlist suggestions are cosmetic or functional but have nothing to do with enjoyment of the audio. Coming from a long, mostly happy relationship with a Rio Karma, I can tell you that crossfade is seriously cool and it really keeps the music flowing, especially when you desire random tunage (and it kills at parties!). Now that they've incorporated gapless (knock that off many a wishlist) I only hope they go the next step and make an adjustable crossfade available.
I completely agree. Crossfading would be a great addition to the s9.

Old 08-09-2009, 05:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Crossfade is almost the antithesis of gapless. I don't know how they'll pull of both at the same time.

I just want the rest of the apps polished up. Music and Video are pretty well cooked. Music just needs a little more gapless improvement with MP3s that aren't Lame encoded.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:56 PM

I don't mind crossfading now and then, it reminds me of North American radio stations. However, I can't wait for my S9 to arrive back so I can enjoy gaplessness bliss!

Last edited by invertedskull; 08-19-2009 at 06:53 PM.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:36 PM

I've just had the S9 for a day (FW 2.41), but here's a wishlist:

1. Pictures/Photos:
a) Allow for different screen fitting options like the aspect control in the video player. Currently in Landscape mode, it automatically fits the picture to the width of 480, which then cuts of some off the top and bottom of the photo. Portrait mode works correctly and doesn't crop anything off the picture.

2. Video:
a) Currently three aspect ratios or screen fitting options in landscape mode: 100%; fit to height; fit to height and width (distort aspect ratio). Need the missing option to fit to width without distorting original aspect ratio.

3. Music:
a) Ability to add an album to the end of the current playlist.
b) Ability to add a track to the end of the current playlist.
c) Support "folder.jpg" as album art (currently only "cover.jpg" is supported)
d) Support Album Artist/Band/TPE tag
e) Support multiple artists or genres in the tags (ideally with a ";" as separator)

I'm sure they'll be more once I get a chance to really use it.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:42 AM

I keep saying this again and again....
10 band equalizer plzzzzzzzzz

Old 08-20-2009, 04:46 AM

The S9's EQ is hardware based on the Wolfson DAC chip, it only supports these 5 bands you see. Any other EQ would have to be emulated with software.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:55 PM

Queuing music is an essential upgrade Cowon need to address. Does anyone know if iPlops can queue tracks / albums / artists / genres?

Old 08-20-2009, 06:32 PM

(assuming I can get gapless working, which I can't), dynamic playlists and I will be happy.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
The S9's EQ is hardware based on the Wolfson DAC chip, it only supports these 5 bands you see. Any other EQ would have to be emulated with software.
you must mean that it can only do five bands, but you can adjust the band frequencies.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
Crossfade is almost the antithesis of gapless. I don't know how they'll pull of both at the same time.
The Rio Karma had perfect crossfade (along with gapless playback). It would calculate and buffer the crossfades during song playback and then inject them seamlessly into the audio stream at the appropriate time. It was really good.

Funny that the Rio Karma was made six or eight years ago and still nothing aside from Rockbox has all of it's audio features. Of course, the Rockbox UI cannot compare to that of the Karma's though, and the output quality of a Rockbox device depends directly on the host hardware. The Karma had an excellent s/n ratio, final output stages, and it was super easy and intuitive to use. Want to insert a track? easy. Want to insert an album? easy. Want to insert songs from a certain artist? genre? year? based on age? playback frequency? all easy. Bookmarks? easy. On-the-fly-playlists? Resume? Fully parametric Eq? Flac? Ogg? Gapless? Crossfade? All easy peasy. Keeping its stock 1st gen 1.8" hard drive running indefinitely? not so easy

Last edited by jayteee; 08-20-2009 at 11:57 PM.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayteee View Post
you must mean that it can only do five bands, but you can adjust the band frequencies.
What you have on the S9 is what the Wolfson chip can handle via hardware, no more, no less. 5 fake-variable bands plus those fake-parametric narrow/normal/wide settings.

Read page 82-85 in this PDF: http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/uploads/...986_Rev4.1.pdf

Old 08-21-2009, 12:09 PM

I've had the cowon s9 for a while (since launch) and am really happy with what they have done to it with the fw updates. The only thing i would really like (apart from otg playlist create/save ability) is the sleep function that does not reset once the player turns off. My creative once set to 1 hour would automatically shut off if I did not press any buttons during that time. I really wish the cowon had a led light or something to show that it is on. I keep it in an official case and i use the hardware buttons to turn it off/sleep, and have lost count of the times when i thought that it was off only for the player to play (random play all) for a day running out the battery for when i need it the next day.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:36 PM

Wow, got me thinking about the Rio Karma. My first player and still the one I really miss. Sounded awesome and was, indeed super easy to use. The S9 sounds awesome but... not so easy to use. Put it in someone's hands and they cannot figure out how to do basic functions with it.

I agree with everything in this thread. Especially...

* Dynamic playlists. Add an album/Artist to a playlist on the fly? Should be SIMPLE. Overall, playlist support on the S9 is minimal, at best.

* Crossfade. I didn't know the Karma could do this. Even more reason to make it happen.

and I'll add one...

* "Genius" mode on the player. I hate that Apple term, but you know what it means. Partner with Last.fm or Pandora or MixerIP and keep a database on the player so you can easily make a playlist based on a song or artist.

Now to go find my old broken-HD Karma in the junk drawer...