android
Old 02-23-2009, 12:44 PM

I suggest anything we request here wouldn't happen for a while even if they did try and implement the feature because of our requests.

But i may aswell ask for something so...... Mp4 movie support would be cool, not a biggy as i can just convert it. It would be nice if they actually took some of the uci changes that people have made (nova, claw, sawafish etc) into the firmware so that everyone can have the choice to use anyones changes, rather than having to choose between them.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-24-2009, 05:33 AM

Location: I travel a lot.. mainly between Morocco and Holland.
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchas View Post
PDF support would be really awesome, I bought my cowon s9 last week and it would be great being able to read ebooks anywhere.

Aint that the truth.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:38 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I know it's not the same, but you can usually export text off a PDF into a TXT file that will display on the S9.

I'll agree though. Native PDF display would be great. Since no player seems to have it, I'm guessing it's a licen$ing problem.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

No, the problem is that a 480x272 screen is more or less useless for PDFs. These documents have fixed width, often embedded fonts, and aren't optimized for small screens. Reading PDFs is extremely tedious on small portable players due to all the scrolling and often illegible fonts. I have PDF support on my Palm PDA, but gave up on trying to use it. I rather convert PDFs to a more useful format for small devices.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You make a good point, dfkt. But my web browser handles PDFs that are bigger than it's window size by rescaling where it helps and zooming in to read otherwise too-small text. 480x272 screens would have to do more work, but it could pass for that rare user manual you just have to have access to.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:05 PM

On-screen volumn control
H264 support (glad that's already in progress)
realmedia codec support

Old 02-25-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
On-screen volumn control
realmedia codec support
is this really in the works? where did you read this?

Old 02-25-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robollama View Post
is this really in the works? where did you read this?
yeah
link??!

Old 02-28-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
I'd also like to know where.
Assuming the processor is the TCC7901 (which is still up in the air, but it is the only reasonable suggestion so far), I'm going to say that there won't be any other formats in the future because there was already hardware decoding support built into the TCC7901, so development cost would be low. only major cost would be royalties.

Because H.264 is so common and so good, it would have been a high priority feature to have for launch if they were going to include it at all. since they didnt, and since development cost is relitivly low... there is a pretty good chance that the royalties are simply too high for cowon fo consider adding this support, which means there is a pretty good chance we will never see it.

keeping in mind that this is all being based off that the chip is the TCC7901, which as i said is far from certain.

Old 02-28-2009, 03:30 PM

My biggest is complaint is that there is no way to clear the Favorite List with just one click.

I need/want a Clear Favorite List Button.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The crappy coverflow has come up so frequently lately that I'm moving the need for that feature to be improved to the top of my list. As far as I can tell it's cowon's poor attempt to divert buyer's attention away from the iPod Touch. Eye candy with a sour taste is what they created. Yet the coverflow on the Touch also annoys me. I see a real opportunity to move the art forward. I haven't seen it, but it sounds like the latest Samsung P3 firmware gets my point in taking an innovative approach to album art browsing.

I'd like to see the album covers fan out and flip into view with a tilt of the S9. You twist the screen a little to scroll through the covers. Twist it the other way to reverse order. The more you twist the faster it scrolls. Draw a letter on the screen and have it move to that letter position among the album list. Double Tap a cover to reveal the songs within it. Tap to select a song. No cover shows more than once.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:33 PM

Get rid of the quicklist and have to choice to change pre-set on the fly EQ settings rather than skipping through ones you'll never use.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:18 PM

I want some way to do this:
  1. I'm listening to a song. I reminds me of another song. I want to play it next.
  2. I'm listening to The Wall (cd 1) by Pink Floyd. After this is done I want to seemlessly move on to the second CD (cd 2).
I know there is a now playing list somewhere inside the device, its what shows in the cover-flow and quicklist. I just want to be able to edit it (add songs, delete songs, etc.) So I guess this goes hand-in-hand with better playlist editing and support. I'd really love to see this feature.

I can't believe that that my old Rio Carbon had a better playlist manager and user interface than this (though to be fair the screen was like 8 lines high and black and white...)

Last edited by Gilgad13; 03-26-2009 at 05:27 PM.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:45 PM

SDK

Old 03-13-2009, 01:04 PM

switched to s9 from an ipod video and all i want is some freaking playlist support. i listen to music by mood and artist is just not cuttin it for me.

PLEASE PUT IN SOME PLAYLIST SUPPORT. m3u or w/e i dont care

Old 03-13-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalmane98 View Post
My biggest is complaint is that there is no way to clear the Favorite List with just one click.

I need/want a Clear Favorite List Button.

Just update to the new beta firmware. *poof* your favorite list is clear.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The TV output needs to be improved. I found my cable and hooked it up to a 19" 720p TV. A cheap VHS player using the same A/V input on that TV would fill the screen with it's image. Any movie I play from the S9 has black bars all around. If the file is more than the S9's 480x272 resolution it may show up in a taller box within the screen limits, but still have black bars all around. These movies don't have black bars as part of the digital file itself.

EDIT: The (-) button now scales the video to fill the TV screen when outputting to TV. The release specs mistakenly state the + button does this. The + button turns off video output and turns the S9's screen back on.

And I'd love it if both photos (to the TV) and audio line-out for music (white and red RCA ends) would work with the same cable. Neither does at the moment.

Last edited by Olley; 03-17-2009 at 06:18 AM.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:48 PM

You know when you are listening to your music and you open the song through the 'artist' or 'album' menu you can't listen to any other music than the ones in that album? You end up having to go through 'songs' to listen to a mixture of albums. That really annoys me and if you could make a firmware update to solve that I would be more than greatful, thanks

Old 03-21-2009, 04:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'd like to see some UI improvements, mainly making settings that apply to an app available from within that app.

Videos, for example, should have an icon you can tap to bring up a screen brightness slider. Put it in the Photo App too.

Music should have direct access to the playback speed control. Put it in Videos too.

Music should have a Lyrics toggle within it. Fade-in could also be a toggle there.

Video should have a subtitle On/Off toggle within the app.

Bluetooth connect/disconnect should be an option in both the Music and Video apps.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:32 PM

Separate volume for video and audio.