android
Old 08-21-2009, 03:11 PM

H264/AAC support is a must for a video player. From podcasts, to youtube videos, to online video mobile purchases, to superior quality per file size, etc.

So for cowon s9 to be the best it must get
Good H.264 and AAC support.

I'll pay extra for the firmware if I have to. Nuff said!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-21-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
What you have on the S9 is what the Wolfson chip can handle via hardware, no more, no less. 5 fake-variable bands plus those fake-parametric narrow/normal/wide settings.

Read page 82-85 in this PDF: http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/uploads/...986_Rev4.1.pdf
Thanks for the document! It's nice to know what the device was built around.

I found page 35-36 to have the most detail on the eq.

Its interesting that Cowon doesn't support EQ for the radio when the chip clearly supports EQ in both the analog-to-digital path and the digital-to-analog path. I wonder if the radio was an afterthought?

I don't understand why you refer to them as "fake-variable bands" when the documentation clearly lists the multiple center frequencies each eq channel on the chip supports in hardware and "fake-parametric narrow/normal/wide settings" for the same reason. Are you using the word "fake" just because it's not fully parametric? I think "fake" is a bad adjective to use in this case because it implies that the eq is not really working as described. Please enlighten me.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend bob View Post
Wow, got me thinking about the Rio Karma. My first player and still the one I really miss. Sounded awesome and was, indeed super easy to use. The S9 sounds awesome but... not so easy to use. Put it in someone's hands and they cannot figure out how to do basic functions with it.

I agree with everything in this thread. Especially...

* Dynamic playlists. Add an album/Artist to a playlist on the fly? Should be SIMPLE. Overall, playlist support on the S9 is minimal, at best.

* Crossfade. I didn't know the Karma could do this. Even more reason to make it happen.

Now to go find my old broken-HD Karma in the junk drawer...
I would love to resurrect mine, but it needs a new hard drive or a storage device of some kind. Trouble is that the Karma used the 1st gen 1.8" IDE hdds which had 48 pin ATA connectors. New 1.8" hdds use ZIF connectors. Those older 1.8" hdds are extinct and becoming increasingly difficult to acquire nowadays. Some have modded their Karmas to use a ZIF hdd, but there is no 100% ZIF mod that guarantees you will not be throwing away a few hundred bucks for nothing. Some have modded their Karmas to use compact flash and even SD cards, but the flash hacks aren't perfect and the capacity is still limited to 32 gb at the moment. But yeah, the Karma is a sweet ride for audio as long as your HD works.

For those of you not familar with the Rio Karma, here are some reviews:

http://www.extrememhz.com/karma-p1.shtml
http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=750
http://gear.ign.com/articles/458/458401p1.html
http://www.trustedreviews.com/multim...udio-Player/p1

And this is a great post on the technical aspects of the Karma with input from some of the original engineers.

http://www.dapreview.net/p/content/c...hp?content.193

Keep in mind that this device is from 2003. Now 2009, and still nothing can touch it as a straight up DAP. With all the technological advances over the past six years, how is that possible? You would think that they could easily roll the stuff of the Karma up into a superior DAP, but NOOOOOOOOO. Everyone has to compete with the mediocrity of the iPods to the detrement of the audiophile civilization. With regard to the S9, the Karma puts it to shame with its incredible dynamic playlist support, crossfade and ease of use among other things. Comon Cowon! You can do better than this! Fix the software! I'll send you my Karma so you can see how dynamic playlists should work!

I apologize for comparing the S9 to the Karma so often, and I really do like my S9, but they could make it sooooooo much better if they looked at a golden example of what was done in the past, improved upon it and applied it to the S9. It's not like they have to reinvent the wheel. Just copy it like everyone else.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:38 PM

Default Firmware suggestion

#1. Names for radio stations
#2. Search songs option with virtual keyboard(as in notepad) in the songs list
#3. Ability to operate volume, prev and next buttons even in lock mode or even from other screen(eg:main menu)

Old 08-25-2009, 08:18 AM

3 is possible already. use lock mode: screen only.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:41 AM

What's this "Genius" mode thingy?

Old 08-26-2009, 04:36 AM

"Genius" mode is an ipod thing that matches the song modes together.. I always liked how smart ipod features are.. like in shuffle mode it learns ur habit of listening to music plays the songs u like more often than other songs and in the order u like... it's not that I'm a big fan of it, you still have to deal with itunes which I don't like...

Anyways... back to my wishlist..
-It'd be great if there's a crossfade mode...
-also if there's something close to Genius mode it'll be also great..
-a native dynamic volume leveling or auto level would be great instead of having to use mp3 gain to level the music tracks.

Old 08-26-2009, 04:51 PM

Hmmm, Genius mode sounds ok I guess, but if it were to be implemented, or something like it to the S9, I would hope you could also turn it off because some people would want to have a truly random / shuffled play sometimes.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guhanath View Post
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=39525

Old 08-28-2009, 07:58 AM

Why should u use genius mode? S9 doesn't has WiFi. Stealing ideas of Apple?

Old 08-28-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guhanath View Post
#2. Search songs option with virtual keyboard(as in notepad) in the songs list
#3. Ability to operate volume, prev and next buttons even in lock mode or even from other screen(eg:main menu)
Request 1 is possible. You edit a file and rename it. Search for this.
The only problem is that you'll blow away the renaming if you ever rescan
for radio station, as it overwrites your edit. What we need is a function to
overwrite rescans automatically if a frequency previously known is refound.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don527 View Post
Why should u use genius mode? S9 doesn't has WiFi. Stealing ideas of Apple?
What's WiFi got to do with genius mode?

Old 09-19-2009, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1a8 View Post
H264/AAC support is a must for a video player. From podcasts, to youtube videos, to online video mobile purchases, to superior quality per file size, etc.

So for cowon s9 to be the best it must get
Good H.264 and AAC support.

I'll pay extra for the firmware if I have to. Nuff said!
not to sure about aac but h.264 work fine if you put it into an avi container and it works very well tbh i have all my vids in h.264 but mp3 audio but its a start i think the lack of aac and 'official' h.264 may have something to do with licensing but the unofficial support works for me

Old 09-19-2009, 02:52 AM

1. h.264 support
2. being able to enqueue songs

all i need so far !

Great work Cowon, thank You !

Old 09-19-2009, 08:42 AM

My current wishlist:
  1. Queuing songs/dynamic playlists. Dynamic playlists should replace the "favourites" list.
  2. Sub-second pause. I'd like to be able to unpause exactly where I paused, rather than unpausing to return to the start of the second I paused at. If you unpause/pause fast enough, you can listen to the same second of a song over and over again!
  3. Sub-second fade-in. The options provided are far too long because you miss a lot of the song during fade-in. Options for increments of 0.1 seconds of fade-in should be available.
  4. Display the other IDv3 tags. Sometimes I want to know the year, genre, album artist, etc. of my tracks when I listen to them. :/

Old 10-17-2009, 02:11 PM

Fix the album art rendering. While admittedly a small issue the scaling effects seen on arts that are neither 272 pixels in width/length/both looks unimpressive on the fantastic AMOLED screen.

Crossfade is also nice to have.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:28 PM

On the subject of "Genius Mode", maybe something like this? Obviously it would download the database when it was first connected to your computer and after a prompt asking you if doing so is okay.

http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...?content=93830

Old 10-23-2009, 12:11 AM

Going back to the subject of playlists and adding songs to a queue... I started listening to an audio book on my Zen Vision: M, and it has rather long chapters. Some go as long as 40 minutes to an hour. And each chapter is a single track / file. I spend roughly that amount of time on the bus going to and from work, but sometimes the chapter stops before I get to my destination, so I like to listen to some music instead of the audio book in that "spare" time, but I don't want to loose track of what chapter I am up to... So it got me thinking... Could there be a way of having two playlists on the go? Preferably, having two "now playing" lists would be better as it would keep track of what chapter / track I am up to. Am I making much sense? :P

Old 10-23-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invertedskull View Post
Going back to the subject of playlists and adding songs to a queue... I started listening to an audio book on my Zen Vision: M, and it has rather long chapters. Some go as long as 40 minutes to an hour. And each chapter is a single track / file. I spend roughly that amount of time on the bus going to and from work, but sometimes the chapter stops before I get to my destination, so I like to listen to some music instead of the audio book in that "spare" time, but I don't want to loose track of what chapter I am up to... So it got me thinking... Could there be a way of having two playlists on the go? Preferably, having two "now playing" lists would be better as it would keep track of what chapter / track I am up to. Am I making much sense? :P
Personally I solve that by just "bookmarking" where I am and then using that.

Seems to work fine for me.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:30 AM

Oh of course! Bookmarks! Danke, I'd forgotten about them!