android
Old 12-29-2008, 12:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default S9 Update Wishlist

There are obviously a few things the S9 needs, and on the chance that Cowon watches this site I thought a list would be nice. In no specific order:

1. Gapless playback.
2. Full Screen photo display with no icon overlay.
3. Autorotate so photos best fit the screen.
4. A choice to go straight into music selection hierarchy instead of straight to the player.
5. An On-Screen volume control is needed.
6. More reliable Bluetooth connectivity (My S9 won't pair with speakers).
7. Better FM autotune accuracy.
8. FM RDS support.
9. Photo output through A/V cable.
10. Music and FM line-out through A/V cable.

As for Hardware, Please bring the 32gb version out, and make Chrome available on all versions too.

Add anything else you'd like to see improved.

Last edited by Olley; 03-17-2009 at 05:20 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-29-2008, 01:03 PM

hey i would probabaly add the first thing to the player i smooth UI.. i feel if the player sounds good , then it should look good too...

Definitely first priority is to improve the cover floww and smoothen the UI

Old 12-29-2008, 03:36 PM

• The ability to remove all music from the favourites, having to press the X a few hundred times gets tedious.
  • An option to stop auto-pivot on the music selection screen.
  • The cover flow is pretty useless as it is just now and needs to be greatly improved.
  • The option to make it start up in specific sections (i.e. music section). I turn the player off alot in my pocket when I'm moving around and it's annoying having to take the player out to get back to the music.
  • Just now you can't add full albums, artists or genres to the favourites through the ID tag browsing. You can add albums etc if they are in folders through the folder browsing but I don't understand why it doesn't work with the ID tags :S.

That's all I can think of just now, really it's mostly UI related problems I have, nothing major .

Old 12-29-2008, 03:43 PM

FWIW, Cover Flow is really pretty useless regardless of how smoothly its implemented. At least when we are talking about portable players-- If it was implemented a'la Cooliris it might be half-decent, but who actually manages their music by album art anyway?

Otherwise, the S9 seems to have a far lower reading on the old glitch-o-meter than the D2 -- comparing relative to release, of course. If only Cowon did listen to their fans... ;-)

I do agree with the majority of users that the 'G-Sensor' should be controlled by a delay press on one of the tactile buttons. Otherwise, everything else I have read seems very minor. Actually, everything seems minor.

Oh, except gapless. I really would like gapless. Its just icing, but it really is disappointing that the player doesn't support it when we all know its full capable of it.

When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome again. True story. -Barney Stinson

Old 12-29-2008, 04:29 PM

- Better G-Sensor usage.
- Gapless (I don't REALLY need it, but it's nice to have and lots of people need it.)
- All the things Twitchy mentioned
- Full Photo display without the icons.

By the time I get my S9, those things will hopefully be fixed, except maybe Gapless.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:30 PM

1)Possible to rotate screen in text mode
2)*.srt subtitles

Old 12-29-2008, 04:42 PM

A bit HS : @ rost : On my s9 the srt work. Am I the only one ?

Old 12-29-2008, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yan View Post
A bit HS : @ rost : On my s9 the srt work. Am I the only one ?
Oh wow, really? Are you putting the srt directly on the player WITH the video or are you converting the srt INTO the video?

Old 12-30-2008, 03:02 AM

yeah ! I put the video file and the .srt (which I rename like the video file ) in the video folders. And when I play it works !

Old 12-30-2008, 07:45 AM
Cowon S9 Developer

Ok ... here's my list (skipping stuff that's already mentioned):
Features:
1 - Allow setting custom wallpapers.
2 - Multiple Dynamic playlists - preferably 'named' ... or
3 - Support for building playlists in MSC mode (i.e via .m3u)
4 - Support for auto-rotate in ALL screens (like media library and main menu).
5 - Add Bluetooth file transfer profile (good for an occasional track transmission).
6 - Shut off g-sensor completely (good when unit is attached via armband for running, etc - don't want the accelerometer to constantly fire). DONE in v2.07
7 - Display name of currently playing track in the home screen (the way Sony w580i does it).
8 - Support for Audible format.
9 - Add radio RDS support (pleeeeaseeee).

Issues:
1 - Do not turn the screen on when using hard buttons to adjust volume (drains battery for no good reason).
2 - Even though its already mentioned, auto-pivot should be shut off in music mode. When player is sitting horizontally (on a treadmill for example) there is no way to control it because the useless coverflow has no ability to browse media library. And with headphone plug being at the bottom one cannot sit the player vertically.
3 - Button to bring up the media library / playlist should be at the bottom not at the top - as all other controls for browsing the library are at the bottom. Without this it is very hard (or nearly impossible) to control the player one-handled (try it). You have to slide the finger to the top left to press media library button. Then you have to slide finder to bottom left to start navigating it - terrible design.
4 - Do not shut off playing music when clicking on 'Flash' menu item. Since no flash items have been selected (and indeed the folder is empty) there should be no need for disrupting music flow.
5 - Move the buttons that switch the interface icons to the Settings menu - they don't belong on the home screen.
6 - Turn off the 'drop in' effect of the home screen after first time its displayed - it gets irritating. When player is turned on, its ok for them to drop in. But until you turn it off, the drop-in should no longer be used (or at least have an option to stop it).
7 - Fix time display when using 12-hr format (12:15am is displayed as 00:15am).
8 - Improve radio tuning precision - hopefully its not a hardware issue.

Bluetooth-specific:
1 - Provide a visual indicator on the main screen (or wherever BT icon is displayed) when S9 is paired.
2 - Improve performance when streaming BT ... Flash interaction is slowed down considerably.
3 - Allow a toggle on the main screen to toggle BT on and off ... so that you don't have to dig through settings to reactivate / deactivate it on a daily basis.
4 - Pump radio output to BT when both regular headphones and BT headphones are connected.

I'll probably add more to the list

Last edited by Claw; 01-16-2009 at 08:31 PM.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:10 AM

H264 support
X264 Support
AAC Support
.srt(and .ass if it dont already support it)
MKV container support
and hell why not support OGM too
And general improvement in accepting high res videos(to lazy to convert my 1280x720 videos)
Gapless would be nice but i dont particurally care
Cowon A3 30g (working just fine)
Cowon O2 32gb /w 8gb SD Card(brand new hooray)

Old 12-30-2008, 12:55 PM

H.264 support
Gapless playback
Improved horizontal music play screen (smoother coverflow + more options)
More utilities
Smoother and faster picture viewer and option to get rid of overlay
Improved FM radio (better accuracy when scanning for stations)

Old 12-31-2008, 11:47 AM

Default Audible.com audiobook support!

They added it to the D2, so how hard can it be to make it work on the S9?

Old 12-31-2008, 02:22 PM
Cowon S9 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLF View Post
They added it to the D2, so how hard can it be to make it work on the S9?
What surprises me is why they didn't add it in the first place. If they eventually added it to the D2, I would have expected S9 to have it as well. Otherwise its the same story every release.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:44 PM

The first bullet is especially important:
  • Option to change double click to execute -> single click to execute.
  • Remove brackets from the music libraries.
  • Rotate screen in text viewer.
  • Bluetooth file transfer.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:46 AM

• Ability to play Flash files in portrait mode
  • Ability to disable G-Sensor in music mode Fixed with 2.07
  • Fix the subtitles bug (they are loaded a bit randomly, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't) Fixed with 2.07
  • Ability to stop music playback or FM radio without going through another menu (annoying)
  • Gap-less music playback
  • Ability to play MPEG-1 & 2 Video
  • Ability to transfer files and control a Cell phone via Bluetooth
  • Compatibility with GIF, PNG, BMP pictures
  • Fix the transfer rate decreasing with time...

Last edited by Miniwintz; 01-09-2009 at 09:56 AM.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:47 PM

- Fix G-sensor (only works when player is perpendicular to the ground, e.g. does not function if it's lying in your lap or anything) and add an option to turn it off
- Gapless please
- Add a button to return straight to album heirarchy from Now Playing, instead of List-> Back -> Back or Menu -> Browser -> Albums (it shouldn't be this clunky to change the album that's playing)

Old 01-02-2009, 08:56 PM
Cowon S9 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchestra View Post
- Add a button to return straight to album heirarchy from Now Playing, instead of List-> Back -> Back or Menu -> Browser -> Albums (it shouldn't be this clunky to change the album that's playing)
Hmm ... if you use [List] then press the <-- arrow (second button at the bottom) it should take you back to list of albums. Or are you talking about something else?

Old 01-02-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchestra View Post
- Fix G-sensor (only works when player is perpendicular to the ground, e.g. does not function if it's lying in your lap or anything)
It's impossible to use any "G-Sensor" while the player is lying in your lap. If gravity is the method, then no matter which way you turn the player while it's lying in your lap, the G-Sensor will always read the same.
Imagine using a compass while it was perpendicular to the ground. You can't. It must be lying in your lap.
It's the same principle.

Maybe the G-Sensor could be made to work when it's a bit angled.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claw View Post
Hmm ... if you use [list] then press the <-- arrow (second button at the bottom) it should take you back to list of albums. Or are you talking about something else?
Argh, I meant artist list. If I'm browsing by artist and want to change what I'm listening to, I have to click List, then Back, then Back, or List, then the back button that takes you to the root directory, then Artist, or Menu, Browser, Artist. Way too hard if I just want to switch from Soundgarden to Sigur Ros.

And you're right about the G-sensor; in that case I'd like an option to turn it off.