android
Old 12-29-2008, 09:04 AM

Default Creative Zii??

HEy, not sure if you guys have seen this but it seems that Creative is introducing something called "zii-steamcell computing". I tried to click onto the website (http://www.zii.com/) to find out more but the whole site only has a button to sign up for updates. Anyone here knows what this whole Zii things is all about?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-29-2008, 09:52 AM

Seems to be a new processing chip which is going to be unveiled by Creative at the CES2009 (was what i got after taking the easygoing google-route~)

Old 12-30-2008, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moop View Post
Seems to be a new processing chip which is going to be unveiled by Creative at the CES2009 (was what i got after taking the easygoing google-route~)
Yeah, i did google it too and got the chip news, but you know google only reveal what everyone already know, so i though coming here i might have better luck at knowing more but thanks ... the chip sounds good. Will it have x-fi?

Old 12-31-2008, 09:40 AM

epizenter said it was "completely different from their X-Fi audio chip and it will be used in a variety of upcoming products."
but
trustedreviews said "it would seem given Creative's history that it is sound based in some way and perhaps is a form of acoustic enhancement technology which can be used in everything from headphones to MP3 players?"

So it is like 180 degree difference between what both sides know or appear to know... It looks interesting, I might even register on zii.com for updates.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:21 AM

Sounds a bit like MythTV + Last.fm + Youtube + MySpace + iTunes/Zune store to me...

Quote:
"Providing on-line facilities, via a global computer network, to enable users to program the scheduling of audio, video, text and other multimedia content, including music, concerts, videos, radio, television, news, sports, games, cultural events, and entertainment-related programs"
http://gizmodo.com/5118501/what-is-c...as-bad-as-mine

Old 01-01-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
epizenter said it was "completely different from their X-Fi audio chip and it will be used in a variety of upcoming products."
but
trustedreviews said "it would seem given Creative's history that it is sound based in some way and perhaps is a form of acoustic enhancement technology which can be used in everything from headphones to MP3 players?"
The difference is, epiZENter gets their information straight from Creative, where-as Trustedreviews dont.

Dan

Old 01-01-2009, 05:14 PM

Personally I certainly would trust Trustedreviews (sic) a lot more than Epizenter, after long-term observation of both sites. But we still have no real clue what this Zii thing is all about.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:52 AM

Epizenter has got some exclusive pics of the new zen zii interface! Although I don't know if its real or fake (if its fake, its a damn good fake), I'm very excited about this new zii thing! I hate the ipod!! And they dun sell the zune in where i am ... pls god, make the zen zii appear at CES!

Old 01-07-2009, 05:13 AM

EpiZenter has just released an article. The above images don't have any battery meter, so the guys over at EpiZenter think it is now for a docking station, one like the xdock
Or this: A glossary for newbies
-Stuart, Twitter

Old 01-07-2009, 06:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

If it's for a friggin' ipod dock it's a waste of a thread, and creative can go belly up, and as fast as possible IMO.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
If it's for a friggin' ipod dock it's a waste of a thread, and creative can go belly up, and as fast as possible IMO.
Agreed. Why design players that were intended to go up against the mainstream ipod, then punch out accessories for the ipod
Or this: A glossary for newbies
-Stuart, Twitter

Old 01-08-2009, 08:14 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Looks like Creative has decided to get into the SoC business. They have created a subsidiary from 3DLabs and changed the name to ZiiLABS. Their new SoC is the ZMS-05 and is part of the Zii stemcell computing platform. Very interesting!

Press Release
ZiiLABS Website
Zii Website

ZMS-05 SoC Datasheet
ZMS-05 SoC Datasheet 2

Interesting parts of the Press Release:

Quote:
Flexibility — Utilizing a breakthrough technology comprising of programmable Processing Elements (PEs) which are basically Software Defined Silicon
Scalability — 10Gigaflops to Petaflops (1015 floating point operation per second)
Energy Efficiency — Huge processing power of the ZMS-05 SoC enables it to perform more in less time, equating to low power consumption
Complete Solution — Ready-for-Market Zii Platform Solutions
Quote:
the ZMS architecture uses an array of media-optimized Processing Elements (PE) as its stem cells that can instantly develop into any of the specialized acceleration functions required of today's media rich devices and offering advantages in terms of flexibility, performance and features when compared to the fixed function silicon blocks traditionally used in SoC designs.
Quote:
the first Teraflop Accelerator with the footprint of an A4-sized sheet of paper, consuming less power than a desktop PC. By utilizing the virtually unlimited chaining capability of the ZMS chips, a state-of-the- art ‘hypercomputer' with many Petaflops of processing power can be realized, which can be 100 times smaller, 100 times greener and 100 times lower cost than conventional super computers.
Quote:
the ZMS-05 SoC is able to do an immense amount of media processing in far less time — and with far less energy — than taken by standard processors; which translates into longer battery life. Intelligent power control means the speed and power consumption of the processor can be matched to the task in hand and unused features can be turned off completely, put in deep stand-by and reactivated instantly after weeks of shut down, helping to lengthen battery life even further.
Quote:
The ZMS-05 processor combines the media processing array, dual ARM cores and a rich set of integrated peripheral controllers with hardware platforms and advanced SDK and middleware.
Quote:
the Company is pleased to be working with many OEM partners worldwide announcing products based on ZMS including: MicroStar International, Perception digital, F&S Electronic, MediaNet, ASTAK, PowerLinux and Grandeye.

Zen FAQ

Last edited by BobbyRS; 01-08-2009 at 08:55 AM.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:10 AM

Sounds like Creative is going to be manufacturing desktops or laptops. They certainly make it sound superior to the computer technology we currently use.
IN ORDER OF CAPACITY: RioS30S 64kb/Sansa e130 512kb/iRiverT10 1gb/Sansa e260 4gb/iAudioU3 4gb*DOA/CowonD2 4gb*SOLD/iRiverClix2 8gb/SansaFuze 8gb/SamsungP2 8/iAudio7 16gb/CreativeZVM 30gb/CreativeZVM 60gb/iPodTouch 64gbgb/iPodVideo 80gb :

Old 01-08-2009, 09:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

No, they are getting into the embedded systems (System on Chip) design and ARM based applications/OS's. They won't really be competing with the x86 market that Intel and AMD rule, but more in the ARM/SoC market that consist of companies like TI, Freescale (formally Sigmatel; Creative currently uses in their Zen line), and Nvidia (Tegra). It will be interesting in how it compares to Nvidia's Tegra.

Quote:
- PMP, PND and MID
- NetBook
- Video Conferencing
- Video Surveillance
- Smartphone and PDA
- IP Media
- Medical
- Embedded Systems
If they continue to manufacture players, they could decide to use the ZMS-05 SoC (as opposed to the Sigmatel STMP3700 SoC) and their own Zii platform firmware (instead of using the Nucleus RTOS from Mentor Graphics). As well as partnering up with other manufactures to use them. If they will be worth a damn, it could be huge for them.

Zen FAQ

Last edited by BobbyRS; 01-08-2009 at 10:49 AM.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:34 AM

I wonder what Creative would have named this without existance of the Wii. =]

Old 01-08-2009, 09:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, I would imagine that Nintendo can't be happy. Even the logos look similar.

Zen FAQ

Old 01-08-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samueljesusfreak View Post
I wonder what Creative would have named this without existance of the Wii. =]
Creative would have named it Wii?

Old 01-08-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
Yeah, I would imagine that Nintendo can't be happy. Even the logos look similar.
It's nasty how people are literally trying to emulate Nintendo. Just last year the commercials for our power provider, Wisconsin Energy, started pronouncing the abbreviation, WI, like the Wii. They even use the dominant white background and text.

I'm not happy enough with Creative to give them any benefit of the doubt right now. I guess we'll see what they can do with this product. I don't think there's an 'OK' product here. IMO, it's either they blow us away, or they fail miserably.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:32 AM
Ultra Senior Member

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com</o:lock><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit">Some specs I took notice of:</o:lock>
<o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></o:lock>
<o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit">Dual ARM Cores</o:lock></o:lock>
<o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit">SDIO support</o:lock></o:lock>
<o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit">Multiple Video I/O Support</o:lock></o:lock>
<o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit">Multiple Audio I/O Support</o:lock></o:lock>
<o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit">1080p HDMI Output</o:lock></o:lock>
<o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit">1080p TV Encoder</o:lock></o:lock>
<o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit">4.3" 24bit 800x480 D Support</o:lock></o:lock>
<o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit">802.11b/g Wi-Fi</o:lock></o:lock>
<o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit">Supports NAND/NOR Flash and:</o:lock></o:lock>
<o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit">44pin 2.5" ATA Connector (CE-ATA 1.0)</o:lock></o:lock>
<o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit">SDHC and MMC Support</o:lock></o:lock>
<o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit">USB OTG Controller</o:lock></o:lock>
<o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit">Support 3rd Part Video Devices</o:lock></o:lock>
<o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit">Camera Processing</o:lock></o:lock>
<o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit">Software GPS</o:lock></o:lock>
<o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit">Radio</o:lock></o:lock>
<o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></o:lock>
<o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit">The Evaluation Models look pretty impressive:</o:lock></o:lock>

Zen FAQ

Old 01-08-2009, 10:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

From VR-Zone:

Quote:
Still, the very first Zii-based products are likely to be Creative-branded - VR-Zone has learned that the first one is an iPhone-like device. We will continue to dig out more details about this, so stay tuned!
Also:

Quote:
In case you're wondering, Zii stands for ZEN II, or Zen 2nd Generation.
So, more than likely a new Zen product line will follow as well.

Zen FAQ

Last edited by BobbyRS; 01-08-2009 at 12:38 PM.