android
Old 12-28-2008, 03:28 PM

Default Sansa Media Convert + video

For some reason, the Sansa Media Converter refuses to recognize that my new Fuze 8GB Silver can do video. It can sort of see the Fuze, but the Convert button is dimmed. By sort of, I mean, underneath where it says Information: it has a triangle with an exclamation mark inside it, yet it can see how much space is free and how much is used no problem. Where it gives the option for preview, it can see that the device in question is a Fuze. I tried to update to the latest version of Sansa Media Converter via the Sansa Update program. All appears to go well. The Updater says:

Sansa Media Converter:
Version 1.0.4.256
To start the Sansa Media Converter installation program, click All Programs > Sandisk > Sansa Updater.

The only problem is I am unertain what program to start from there as there is nothnig to indicate which program is the installation program for the Sansa Media Converter. The choices I have under that menu are:

Sansa Media Converter (it list a shortcut, but if I choose that, Vista asks me if I wish to delete the shortcut as it doesn't point anywhere).
Sansa Updater (if this is clicked, the updater runs and asks me if want to download and install the user manual and Sansa Media Convert (despite the fact that I just did this!)
Uninstall
User Manual E200 - English (US)
User Manul Fuze - English

The only other Sansa related program I have are (in a different folder):
Sansa Media Converter (seems to work fine except although it sees thue Fuze, it refuses to recognize that the Fuze can do some video).
Sansa Media Converter Help.

Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated. (I understand the Fuze's video capabilities are somewhat limited, but for my purposes they are fine).

One other thing is I had trouble getting my PC to reconize the Fuze at first. I tried two different ports in my USB hub and Vista complained that the device had malfunctioned and didn't install the drivers. I tried a USB port directly from my PC and the Fuze was recognized no problem but Vista said that only generic drivers were installed (I checked the CD that came with the Fuze, but the only files on it were an installion program for installing the manual in pdf format...no drives were on the CD). Could this be related?

Chris

Last edited by chume; 12-28-2008 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Fixed typos and added more details.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-28-2008, 03:34 PM

ahh...there's your problem...VISTA.

sorry for the dumba** remark. The only thing I can suggest is making sure your player is in MSC mode when doing your video conversions. Not having used Vista with SMC I don't have a clue as to how they would interact with each other. In MSC mode your player would be assigned a drive letter making it easier for Vista and SMC to recognize it. Good luck.

Edit: sounds like your USB is muxxed up?. In MSC mode you should get 2 drive letters assigned to the Fuze..1 for the internal memory and 1 for the microSD slot. And no need for drivers...it should be plug'n play.
Sansa e260v1 Rockboxed 8GB microsdhc
Sansa Fuze 8GB 16GB microSDHC

Last edited by sansaguy; 12-28-2008 at 03:56 PM.

Old 12-28-2008, 04:03 PM

Hehe, no problem. I took it in stride (I used to feel the same way about Vista and tried to get this PC without it but the company I ordered it from wouldn't let me -- turns out, while not perfect, Vista isn't as terrible as I thought hehe). I will try your suggestion and see what happens .

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansaguy View Post
ahh...there's your problem...VISTA.

sorry for the dumba** remark. The only thing I can suggest is making sure your player is in MSC mode when doing your video conversions. Not having used Vista with SMC I don't have a clue as to how they would interact with each other. In MSC mode your player would be assigned a drive letter making it easier for Vista and SMC to recognize it. Good luck.

Old 12-28-2008, 04:09 PM

I tried the MSC mode but no go (was worth a try). However, the problem is now solved! I manually downloaded the latest version of SMC from Sansa's web site and installed it. It asked if I wanted to replace my version of SMC with the new version. I said yes and then tried the new SMC and it works fine . It can see my Fuze no problem including the microSDHC card I have in it. Thanks for the help.

Chris