android
Old 12-23-2008, 02:31 PM

Default How To Add Music Files To A Playlist

Like the bril Samsung P2 does the Cowon S9 has pre-set playlist where you can add files into them? and how do you exactly add mp3 files to those playlist? and can you delete those "added" files on the S9 itlsef & "on-the-fly"?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-23-2008, 03:06 PM
ABI Founder

There is a single on the go playlist they call "Favorites". You add them by pressing an "add" icon at the bottom menu and you can delete one of them in the list but not rearrange them.

I show this in the video review im currently uploading. Should be up tonight. Subscribe to the abi YouTube Channel here to be notified when they are up. I will also be posting the videos in the forum review thread.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:16 PM

why only a single playlist? what if you have 5 slow songs and 5 fast songs? i would want them not just on 1 playlist but two. is that possible? can you make more than 1 playlist on the S9?

Old 12-23-2008, 03:18 PM
ABI Founder

you can make more than one playlist though desktop media players, but only one on the go playlist

Old 12-23-2008, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoTen View Post
There is a single on the go playlist they call "Favorites". You add them by pressing an "add" icon at the bottom menu and you can delete one of them in the list but not rearrange them.

I show this in the video review im currently uploading. Should be up tonight. Subscribe to the abi YouTube Channel here to be notified when they are up. I will also be posting the videos in the forum review thread.
Enzo, any idea how to delete all the tracks from the on the go playlist (favourites)? I add multiple albums at a time depending on what mood I'm in, and having to manually delete everything from the favourites is pretty tedious.

Old 12-23-2008, 04:25 PM
ABI Founder

I haven't found a way, i just have to keep pressing the delete button rapidly. =\

Old 12-23-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoTen View Post
you can make more than one playlist though desktop media players, but only one on the go playlist

what do you mean by "desktop media players"?

Old 12-23-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gino_76ph View Post
what do you mean by "desktop media players"?
Like windows media player or something comparable..

Old 12-24-2008, 06:07 AM

how do i do that exactly? how can you make more than 1 playlist on the S9? (and make that playlist "permanent" on the player)

Last edited by gino_76ph; 12-24-2008 at 06:26 AM.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:05 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Has anyone used Media Monkey to sync a few playlists to the S9 yet? This way we'll know if it supports playlists other than the 1 that the player does itself.

Old 12-24-2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Has anyone used Media Monkey to sync a few playlists to the S9 yet? This way we'll know if it supports playlists other than the 1 that the player does itself.

hi

i'm using MM Gold Full Lifetime version. syncing with the S9 is no problem. transferring files is no problem. making playlist and transfering them is not possible. yup...this is i think one major downfall and flaw IMHO of the S9. no ability to make more than 1 playlist. there you've heard it!

Last edited by gino_76ph; 12-24-2008 at 05:38 PM.

Old 12-24-2008, 05:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Since there is a sort folder named [Playlists] there should be a way to have more than one on the S9. I don't use playlists or I'd test it out for you.

Old 12-24-2008, 05:43 PM
Cowon S9 Developer

Its easy (well actually totally convoluted).
1 - Switch USB mode to MTP.
2 - Mount to the computer.
3 - In 'My Computer', open the Cowon device, navigate to some mp3 (or a directory), right-click and select 'Add to Playlist'. This will create a file with a .pla extension.
4 - That file's name will show up as a 'directory' under [Playlists] in S9 ... you navigate it like a folder, and pick a track to play - or play all of it.

Also, in windows you can right-click on the .pla file, and edit it - windows allows the tracks to be arranged in a diff order or removed.

While the playlist edit window is open, you can drag and drop additional track onto it and rearrange them. I guess you can create unlimited playlists this way.

By the way that .pla file is fake - if you switch mode back to to MSC and open it, the file is actually empty. So it cannot be edited unless you're in MTP mode. And - the file is gone when you disconnect device from the PC. So - basically you have to be in MTP mode permanently if you want to take advantage of the playlists.

Last edited by Claw; 12-24-2008 at 05:51 PM.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
I don't use playlists or I'd test it out for you.
I don't use them either. I'm not sure why I'd need to. I organize folders to reflect my musical tastes. So, I might have a folder labeled "rock" or one labeled "hip-hop", that sort of thing.

So pretend that I'm five years old.... What's the importance of playlists when I can create folders?

Creative MuVo TX FM | MPIO One | Sansa Clip | iAudio 6 | Cowon D2 (2) | S9 | J3

Old 12-24-2008, 08:17 PM
Cowon S9 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mp3UndergroundFan View Post
So pretend that I'm five years old.... What's the importance of playlists when I can create folders?
Its useful in the gym. Lets say I do 60 minutes of cardio - I create a 60-minute playlist with tracks that I want to play (generally the beat of the music should match the speed of the workout). I may create several playlists for slow workouts, several more for the fast ones, etc.
Imagine if I didn't have playlists - every 3 - 5 minutes I have to reopen the player and pick another track - with 16gb of music its not practical and ruins a rhythm of a workout. You cannot do this with folders unless you copy same tracks into new folders (and thus reduce player capacity).

With P2, which had 5 dynamic playlists, I would use playlist1 for fast workouts, playlist2 for slow ones, etc ...

I am sure there are other uses but this particular way is why it would be useful for me. What I have to do now is switch the player into MTP mode if I want to use the playlists. Since MTP mode sucks (slower and crashes at times) that feature is pretty much gone for me.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
Since there is a sort folder named [Playlists] there should be a way to have more than one on the S9. I don't use playlists or I'd test it out for you.
Quote:
I don't use them either. I'm not sure why I'd need to. I organize folders to reflect my musical tastes. So, I might have a folder labeled "rock" or one labeled "hip-hop", that sort of thing.

I'm 41yrs old, I like using playlists - does this make me less of an adult? I asked a question that I'm interested in finding an answer to. This isn't just for me, but also for those OTHER 5yo's that might use playlists as well. If you decide that using playlists is unnecessary for you, thats great. Just keep personal conjecture to yourself.

And gino_76ph, thanks for the info, greatly appreciated!!! We're all here to help each other out, and you prove the value of members such as yourself.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
My wife has an iPod Nano, and it has a "genius" option which makes a playist that relates to the current song you're playing. It's pretty amazing actually, and perfect for someone who doesn't see the benefit in picking out his own selection of songs to listen to. The only time I make anything that looks like a playlist is when I pick out the songs I want to have playing during a party I'm throwing. I'm more into having a random listen to the broad array of songs I own, so Shuffle mode is for my own listening pleasure.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claw View Post
Its useful in the gym. Lets say I do 60 minutes of cardio - I create a 60-minute playlist with tracks that I want to play (generally the beat of the music should match the speed of the workout). I may create several playlists for slow workouts, several more for the fast ones, etc.
Imagine if I didn't have playlists - every 3 - 5 minutes I have to reopen the player and pick another track - with 16gb of music its not practical and ruins a rhythm of a workout. You cannot do this with folders unless you copy same tracks into new folders (and thus reduce player capacity).

With P2, which had 5 dynamic playlists, I would use playlist1 for fast workouts, playlist2 for slow ones, etc ...

I am sure there are other uses but this particular way is why it would be useful for me. What I have to do now is switch the player into MTP mode if I want to use the playlists. Since MTP mode sucks (slower and crashes at times) that feature is pretty much gone for me.
That's a great explanation of playlist use! I say this as someone who hasn't used one as of yet, of course I've only had an MP3 player since September.

Old 12-25-2008, 08:23 AM

I have a question considering playlisting. I've had 2 "Rio" players: Rio Carbon and Trekstor Vibez. Now both died, and I'm using a Cowon U5 before buying a PMP. On both the Rio players, you could just add songs to your current-playing-list, so to speak, and after that you could even save that list and make a new one.
But on my U5, it's only possible to add songs to a Dynamic Playing list, and that's it. You cannot save the DPL. How is this on the S9? I read about a favorites-folder/list. Is it somehow possible to make a playlist on the go, and save it and make another one? I'm affraid I can't, when I read the above topic...
So bad Rio is gone...

Old 12-25-2008, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I'm 41yrs old, I like using playlists - does this make me less of an adult? I asked a question that I'm interested in finding an answer to. This isn't just for me, but also for those OTHER 5yo's that might use playlists as well. If you decide that using playlists is unnecessary for you, thats great. Just keep personal conjecture to yourself.
What the...?!

I was responding to Olley's comment. My question was an innocent one; hence, the reference to being 5 years old. Sorry you took this so personal. (btw I'm 41+.)

The reference alluded to my own naiveté, no one else's. Again. I (me, myself, Mp3UndergroundFan) don't use playlists. I ONLY wanted to understand the convenience of using them.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who was kind enough to answer my innocent question. I knew I could count on ABi members' insightful responses. Maybe now I'll to give playlists a try.

And my apologies to any children I may have inadvertently insulted.

Creative MuVo TX FM | MPIO One | Sansa Clip | iAudio 6 | Cowon D2 (2) | S9 | J3

Last edited by Mp3UndergroundFan; 12-25-2008 at 03:30 PM.