android
Old 12-21-2008, 03:02 PM

Default D2 to go with Sennheiser IE8 or better not...

Hello everybody,

I'm new to this forum so I hope I'm not asking stupid quetions..

I've recently bought sennheiser IE8 iem's and now I want to get another MP3/4 player to go with it.

I'm very keen on the D2 because of it's SD card option and it's flac support. I've been reading a few times that the D2 doesn't "like" low impedance (the IE8's are 16ohm) phones though.

Could anybody comment on the SQ of this D2 when using flac and possibly similar headphones?
Or should I be looking into other players like the cowon S9 or maybe the sony S639F?

I'm looking for very good SQ and decent battery life. I couldn't care less about video playback etc.

I've been reading many different things on the D2's sound quality.

Which would be the best D2 to go for, with or without DAB
I'm living in the Netherlands, and I don't think DAB is supported here but maybe there are other differences when it comes to stability or SQ since the two different models don't share the same firmware..

I hope some of you could help me out a little bit as one minute I'm about to order the D2 and then the next minute I'm getting second thoughts...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-21-2008, 03:11 PM

The D2 is no different than 90% of all other players out there, regarding low impedance phones. It's just that the D2 is mentioned quite often - probably because of my own RMAA tests, among other things. Mea culpa.

Most players have a bass roll-off, nothing to worry about, especially with bass heavy phones like the IE8. The D2 sounds good, especially since the BBE/M3B sound enhancements are the best you can find in a portable player. At least in my opinion.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:48 PM

Thanks for your quick reply.

With regards to with or without DAB, is one of the two prefered over the other hardware/firmware wise or doesn't it matter at all? There's not too much between the two in price over here.

Thanks for your help/input.
Ben

Old 12-21-2008, 07:00 PM

There are more themes available for the non-DAB one. If you don't need radio an like to style your player, then get the non-DAB one. If you like radio, then get the DAB one. You can always try to convert existing themes.

Old 12-22-2008, 03:28 PM

Thanks for your input dfkt. Just picked up the D2 16Gb this afternoon.
For as far as I can hear for now the Sennheiser IE8 and D2 seem to be quite a nice combo. I haven't been playing with the settings yet, but straight out of the box SQ seems to be as good or maybe even better for my ears then the sony S639F.
So far I couldn't be happier, and no matter how the S9 will turn out to be the added SD slot makes it a no brainer for me.

Thanks again!
Ben

Old 01-03-2009, 02:44 PM

Please do let us (me) know more in detail how this combo performs. I am very tempted to get the IE8 to my D2.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:20 PM

So far I'm still very happy with this combo. I'm no expert by any means but I don't have the feeling bass roll-off is a big issue with these IEM's. There's plenty bass (I've had to adjust the bass adjusting screws - or whatever they're called - on these phones down) lots of detail and good treble.

I guess it might depend on what type of music you listen to. I believe for classical Sennheiser IE8 might not be the best choice, but if you like bass heavy music/pop/rock/dance/techno I think it's a good combo. One of my favourite albums is Roger Waters - Amused to death, and it sounds awesome with the D2-IE8.
I'm still burning in these phones as they are still quite new, so hopefully sound will improve even more.
Oh yes - not unimportant - for me these phones are very comfortable.

I cannot recommend these over any other because I simply haven't heard IEM's like Shure530, UE10, Phonak,Denon 751, or other high-end iems.
I do have a pair of Sony MDR-EX90LP, and to me these IE8's are in a different class.

Hope I answered your question a bit.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:32 PM

Thanks, that pretty much answered all my queries. One thing I have noticed, a lot of IE8 owners say the isolation from ambient noise is not all that good, can you comment on this?

I think I'll have to treat myself to a pair of these, especially since I listen mainly to 70's rock and these do seem to handle the like exceptionally well.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:12 PM

For me the noise isolation is pretty good. It's a lot better then my sony MDR-EX90LP.
The IE8 come with tips in a couple of different sizes and shapes, once I've found the best for me I found that I've gotten better noise isolation and better bass.

There are probably phones with better noise isolation, but personally I prefer not to have full isolation when I'm outside cycling or in the city. That said, I think noise isolation is ok, but I don't have experience with different types of noise isolating headphones.

I think the IE8's are quite suitable for 70's rock. I love listening to Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, Stones etc. with these.
I must say I did give them some time to "burn in". First I had them burning in with pinknoise for about a day (according to some people they could use 100 hours, but I was too impatient), then I started using them with my D2. I guess it doesn't matter whether you burn them in or not, you will just not get the best sound out of them straight out of the box. They will get better over time.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:34 AM

Thank you for your time and effort. Looks like I will be 200 poorer soon, but have the (for me) ultimate IEM.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:33 AM

You're welcome, I hope you will like them as much as I do.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:35 PM

Do you hear any hiss with d2 + IE8