android
Old 12-20-2008, 04:27 AM

Default Why no speaker?

i'm really disappointed here, why not add some crappy 2.0 sound system speaker to make life easier, like when on the go and you want to share your music with your group but you don't want to use headphones?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-20-2008, 04:30 AM

Check out the P3 my friend

I has a mono speaker

Old 12-20-2008, 05:03 AM
Redneck Moderator

Speakers are a waste of valuable space that could be used for more battery. They're never nice enough to use, and they take up to much room. I'm glad they didn't put a speaker on it.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:37 AM

Why would you need a speaker on such a small device??

Old 12-20-2008, 06:43 AM

A speaker never works for music, it just sounds terrible. A speaker like the one on the Samsung K5 (i think it was the K5) is acceptable for music, but for obvious reasons that wouldn't work on the S9.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:49 AM

Well, the samsung K5 is a different story... :

Old 12-20-2008, 07:30 AM

speakers sucks up too much battery power, the S9 according to specs can hold up to 10 hours of Video watching, how many can the touch hold up to with its crapalona mono membrane?

Old 12-20-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidw89 View Post
i'm really disappointed here, why not add some crappy 2.0 sound system speaker to make life easier, like when on the go and you want to share your music with your group but you don't want to use headphones?
...what?

This must be the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Why would you want to ruin a wonderful little device such as the S9 with a shitty sounding mono speaker? It serves no purpose and is annoying as hell. If you wish to share your music on the move, buy a pair of decent sounding portable speakers or a y-cord.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:24 AM
ABI Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by paloverde View Post
speakers sucks up too much battery power
They don't, they use the same as any headphone would.

I could see people wanting a speaker on the S9 and i would be more than willing to have one if there was no sacrifice of space. It is kind of nice to pick up the player and watch a video without plugging in headphones, especially if you use IEMs, they are not always quick to get in and out.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:03 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, the O2's headphone out has 60mW, the speaker has 1000mW... not sure how that translates to real-life battery drain, but it sounds like it's not too trivial of a difference. Not to mention the speaker sounds like crap, only useful for audiobooks, if at all.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoTen View Post
They don't, they use the same as any headphone would.
Really ? If you have your pair of headphones and bend them open a little so you can hear the music decently from a distance, you have to urn them up pretty loud no ? A speaker (for example the zen stone's) goes loud enough to be heard from a distance even at a low level. So I'd reckon a speaker uses up more energy even at low volume

I'm pretty glad there is no speaker in most players. A portable battery speaker is pretty cheap andcan be easily plugged into your headphone hole and it doesn't strain battery life and doesn't take up space in the player

Old 12-20-2008, 10:58 AM
ABI Founder

dfkt is onto something, it may differ per player. perhaps im wrong, but i have never noticed a big enough difference between speakers and headphones in batter life to matter.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Speakers are a waste of valuable space that could be used for more battery. They're never nice enough to use, and they take up to much room. I'm glad they didn't put a speaker on it.
QFT.

When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome again. True story. -Barney Stinson

Old 12-21-2008, 04:19 AM

A mediocre speaker would have been sweet. What? None of you teeny speaker haters have had a situation where you wanted to share a couple amusing videos with a friend or something before? It keeps happening to me XD

You could always get one of those external speaker that plugs into a 3.5mm jack or something. But they're kinda ugly as hell....

Old 12-21-2008, 02:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawliet View Post
A mediocre speaker would have been sweet. What? None of you teeny speaker haters have had a situation where you wanted to share a couple amusing videos with a friend or something before? It keeps happening to me XD

You could always get one of those external speaker that plugs into a 3.5mm jack or something. But they're kinda ugly as hell....
Same here, so you brought up a good point. Personally I'd love if they had incorporated it into the device.

Now, here's the "But", but I'd much rather have an sd slot for expansion. Between the 2, that's the more desired feature.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:00 PM

The Darkside is right. A Slot expansion would've been really REALLY nice.

A speaker? I don't need it. Seems like no one in my school has a similar music taste, and I'd rather not have a bunch of ganster wannabes tell me my music sucks. As for videos, no one I know watches anime, so not even worth showing.

Old 12-22-2008, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawliet View Post

It's pretty easy on turning up the volume so it can be heard by your friends when you pull the headphones open a bit too. Plus I like to just gve them the phone to put it on their heads so they're jealous of the good sound quality

Old 12-22-2008, 09:00 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Podcasts, game sounds, Alarms, Voice, all sound fine and are great excuses for an internal speaker.

Old 11-28-2009, 06:10 AM

This is the reason why there are products called "portable speakers".

Remember that Cowon S9 is a "PERSONAL" MEDIA PLAYER.

Though you can share it by using a TV-out, or speakers. Built-in loud speakers are just not enough.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Even if this ancient thread from a year ago probably needed no bump, here's something interesting for people wanting speakers: http://www.amazon.de/GPEL-Schutzgeh%...416564&sr=8-12