android
Old 12-16-2008, 06:38 AM

Default Playlists over MP3s organized in folders?

Hi all,

I am a fresh S3 owner, hope you can help.

I have my MP3s organized in folders inside my PC, and want to keep them like that also within the S3 (makes browsing easier). Also, I intend to have several playlists using those MP3s.

If I use Samsung Media Studio, I can generate playlists, but since importing files from PC loses the folder structure, then I get a flat list of MP3s on the S3 - bad.

If I use the standard "computer resources" browser, I can 'manually' transfer the folders inside the "music" directory of the S3, and keep the folder structure. Then, in the browser, I am allowed to right-click on folders to generate a playlist, creating a "New playlist" right there - which can be moved into the "playlists" directory of S3. However, since it seems I cannot rename files inside the S3 directories, I only can create a single playlist called "New playlist" - again, no good.
Moving the "New playlist" in the PC, renaming it, and moving it back does not help either: in that case, the playlist is no more recognized as such (even its icon changes, so in spite of "just moving" the file, it looks like something else happens to it).

Notice that having playlist on files in folders is doable in principle adding file-by-file from inside the S3 itself (so it means the playlist format supports the idea). But this is practically absolutely unfeasible, it'd take ages.

Any suggestion? Would installing EmoDio help me in this?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-16-2008, 11:07 AM

When you open Samsung Media Studio, and connect your device, the window splits into two right? In the window for the S3, there should be five little icons above all the files: music, video, pictures, datacasts, and other folders. If you click on the last icon, and browse to the "Music" directory in your S3, you should be able to create new folders and transfer songs like that. At least it works for my UMS S5.

Have you read the sticky at the top to change from MTP to UMS? I don't know how MTP stores its files, but under the UMS mode, I am able to just drag and drop files directly into the "music" directory in my S5. And then from the file browser inside the S5, everything shows up exactly the same. I find the file browser much better than using the "Music" menu.

For making playlists, I use the program below from the K3/K5 forums.
http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14112

As for Samsung Media Studio and EmoDio, I believe they are the same. EmoDio just...I don't know, looks cooler. Maybe its more up to date?

Last edited by s13; 12-16-2008 at 11:24 AM.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:56 AM

Thanks s13. I share your views on the convenience of drag & drop, which I use as well, and on EmoDio (I installed it yesterday).

As for the "making playlists using files in folders", which is the key issue now for me: many thanks for the pointer!
Just, before I start: do I get it right that, assumed I manage to set up the program, I'll be then capable to build playlists over MP3s organized, within the S3, in folders?
If so, I'll work on it right away

Old 12-18-2008, 01:40 AM

I just create playlists in EmoDio and send them over. But it's kinda weird, like it looks like the songs are being sent over again, even though they are already on the player.

So I use that method from the K3/K5 forums.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:06 AM

Just to say that I tried the solution (put the 1.11 Korean firmware on, generate playlists with WinAmp, convert with the s3u8-to-spl converter form the K3/K5 forum) and...
wow, it worked!

So now I am going to have a playlist-building weekend - thanks very much s13,
and in case you happen to step in Trento, Italy, drop me a line, I owe you a beer
(actually, I'd also offer one to the s3u8-to-spl converter guy, he did a nice job).

Old 12-22-2008, 05:00 PM

Hey everyone, I just had to drop you a note to say what a great forum this is, I've ended up here a couple times when researching issues with multiple mp3 players, and I've always found information etc on how to resolve my particular issue. wow. great stuff and keep it up

Old 12-29-2008, 03:32 AM

I don't what all this transfrering playlist stuff is about but when i want to make a playlist i just turn on my s3 go into file browser>music then select a song and press the menu button (top right corner) and then select add to playlist a choose one=P. that playlist can be accssed from the music icon from the main menu.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:34 AM

Default sigh

Trained Monkey.... YOU da Man !!!! (or woman if you're a girl)

... good-bye Tums ... hello playlists !

thanks abi too.