android
Old 01-07-2009, 10:45 PM

any guesses on the price ??

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-07-2009, 10:59 PM

difficult to say, it doesn't come out until early summer so who knows what prices or new products come out by then which might dictate prices, and of course flash mem should also drop in price by early summer.

I don't see a redesign of this happening any time soon, perhaps different colours will be offered but as for flac, not from sony.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascariss View Post
difficult to say, it doesn't come out until early summer so who knows what prices or new products come out by then which might dictate prices, and of course flash mem should also drop in price by early summer.

I don't see a redesign of this happening any time soon, perhaps different colours will be offered but as for flac, not from sony.
EARLY ******* SUMMER?? no way. on to the s9..

Last edited by The DarkSide; 01-08-2009 at 08:28 AM.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:37 AM
Ultra Senior Member

After looking at the 3 respective players in this class (Walkman Touch, Cowon S9, & Samsung P3), and discussing a few details of the player w/a few seasoned mods, I've realized that I was a bit hasty to write this player off. FWIW it's starting to look like the best of the trio.

Too bad it's slated for release in the SUMMER!!!! That is the DEAL KILLER!!! ARGH!!!!

Old 01-08-2009, 11:51 AM

Wow, it looks great! Like the finish and I'm happy to see it has some external buttons for the most common functions that I had hoped for.

Does anyone know if this will have a built in speaker? Would be very nice feature so can show videos or music to someone and not have to give them your headphone. The built in speakers is one of the amazing features on the Ipod Touch (I still don't know where the speaker is on it!).

Old 01-08-2009, 12:23 PM

Well, CNET mentioned "that it will be priced competitively when compared to the iPod Touch."

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-19167_1-101...CmoreStories.0

On Apple Store, the iPod touch's price ranges from $229, $299, and $399 (8, 16, & 32GB, respectively.)

Old 01-08-2009, 07:12 PM

is the touchscreen capacitive or resistive?

Old 01-08-2009, 11:08 PM

According to G4TV, the 16GB will go for $299.00 and the 32GB will be $399.00 USD, this summer.... so as J-D mentioned, it looks like the two models will be the same as the Touch in price.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:05 AM

ya I want to know if the screen is capacitive or resistive so I know if I can use it with gloves (which is an issue in Canada..)

Current player: Sansa Clip 4GB (as a temporary and workout player)
Future PMP: looks like I'll never get one cuz I'll never be satisfied.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:45 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I just wanna' know if apple will downgrade their prices on the touch, which should bring the 32gb Walkman Touch down in price as well.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utew View Post
According to G4TV, the 16GB will go for $299.00 and the 32GB will be $399.00 USD, this summer.... so as J-D mentioned, it looks like the two models will be the same as the Touch in price.
Wow, one hopes the pricing will get more competitive. BTW thanks Utew for the info.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 01-09-2009, 04:57 PM

I was hoping a 32GB Walkman would be around £150-200...with the touchscreen and wifi and everything, it doesn't look like it'll be even close to that price

As much as I love this thing already (touchscreen, wifi, youtube and tactile buttons on the outside?! F- YES!!), I doubt i'll relent to coughing up so much money. Hopefully they release another Walkman series with 32GB.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:41 PM

Way too much still to know yet about the X1000, to speak to it's value for the money.

A major question I would have is the viability of the WiFi (read usability).. without a hard keyboard, just how good will the typing software implementation be, if any? Will it surf the web unlimited or be limited to certain sites.. YouTube etc.
Flash support? Webkit browser or other?

I'll say this about Apple, the soft-keyboard on the Touch/iPhone is pretty damn good overall.. and will set the standard of comparison for the X1000. This thing seems to be in it's very early stages... and sure to change before it's finalized.

Too many questions, with not enough info.. yet...

Audio podcast (MP3 Insider Episode 129) from Jasmine France and Donald Bell of C/NET on the gadgets from CES 2009, at about the halfway point they talk about what they know on the Sony X1000.. which is pretty limited info, but might be worth your time to listen to..

link is here MP3 Insider 129

Last edited by Utew; 01-09-2009 at 11:49 PM.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:55 PM

I hope it'll finally do gapless.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:46 PM

Wifi isn't an issue for me. Sound quality, battery life, build quality, and maybe the option of watching an episode of South Park on a decent sized screen now and again, that's all. I *really* hope this thing delivers because I've been wanting a decent high capacity player for a long time now and I'm not 100% on the Touch, nor the S9, so I'm waiting to see what the Samsung P3 and this have to offer.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:45 PM

I'm with fromthelane on that, my friend has a p2 and while it rocks, it still lacks some key features for me. Just reading the description had me jumping in joy for this Sony X-series...the lack of an SD slot isn't a deal breaker for me, since 32 gigs is more than enough for vids and music (I have an old HDD pmp from Maxian, a korean company, and it's only at 20 GB and I get by just fine). REALLY wish they would include a TV-out cord but not looking likely. My biggest concern is their UI and as was already stated here by someone else, the keyboard. Wifi will be useless if you want to punch yourself every time you have to navigate. Still, I'm willing to deal with a finnicky UI as long as it promises to deliver everything they've stated...

Old 01-18-2009, 03:49 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Not sure if anyone has seen this video. It's a Sony spokesperson discussing the new player (tho we've all really heard this before): http://electronicsblog.sel.sony.com/...09942953401311

Old 01-18-2009, 05:04 AM

I wonder, which phones they will bundle with the player, at least something like the EX500LP or the EX300LP.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:12 AM

ive completely ruled out the P3. impossible it will ever come close to this or the S9. feature wise sure, but LCD just doesn't compare with AMOLED. It wouldn't make a difference if you've never used AMOLED, but I'm positive it will once you go for AMOLED. i've seriously thought the P3 main menu screen as pretty amazing, but you can customize the S9's main menu just the same way. so i've completely lost faith in the P3

Cowon S9:
I say as or right now, everything is exceptional on the S9 except: boring original UI and nothing to do but listen and play video. Otherwise, its sure beautiful. however, UCIs and flash games are starting to pop up. woot.

Walkman:
The walkman seems to have a very nice UI. hopefully it doesn't have the screen SPINN happened to get (it got a lot of negative reviews i have no clue why).

i really don't believe in the wifi. maybe it'll turn out fine, but i just don't believe that a 3.0 screen is going to cut it. that is so small. i think 3.5 inch is perfect. i haven't gotten a keyboard on the S9, but i doubt it'll be nice.

well i dont know what features sony offers.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uphaillife View Post
ive completely ruled out the P3. impossible it will ever come close to this or the S9. feature wise sure, but LCD just doesn't compare with AMOLED. It wouldn't make a difference if you've never used AMOLED, but I'm positive it will once you go for AMOLED. i've seriously thought the P3 main menu screen as pretty amazing, but you can customize the S9's main menu just the same way. so i've completely lost faith in the P3

Cowon S9:
I say as or right now, everything is exceptional on the S9 except: boring original UI and nothing to do but listen and play video. Otherwise, its sure beautiful. however, UCIs and flash games are starting to pop up. woot.

Walkman:
The walkman seems to have a very nice UI. hopefully it doesn't have the screen SPINN happened to get (it got a lot of negative reviews i have no clue why).

i really don't believe in the wifi. maybe it'll turn out fine, but i just don't believe that a 3.0 screen is going to cut it. that is so small. i think 3.5 inch is perfect. i haven't gotten a keyboard on the S9, but i doubt it'll be nice.

well i dont know what features sony offers.
I also excluded the P3 from my choice, I've narrowed it down to the Walkman or Touch. The S9 is okay, but I don't like the UI and I've watched some videos and the coverflow is slow. The touch is nice, because of the big screen and wifi. The Walkman is nice too, but smaller screen, but it has way better sound quality. It's a tough decision between the two.